Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New gsg 1911 not going into battery

So I took my brand new gsg 1911 (22lr) to the range today for the first time. I absolutely love the fit and finish of the gun, and really enjoyed shooting it. I ran probably 60-80 rounds of the winchester (555 bulk pack) rounds through it. The gun tended to run fine once a round was successfully chambered (I might have had 1 or 2 jams total), but I noticed that it did not like to feed a round using the slide stop. For example, after I shot through a full magazine and the slide locked back, I would refill the magazine, load it back into the gun, and then release the slide. Probably 50% of the time that I tried this the slide would get stuck halfway shut and the tip of the 22 round would appear to be hung up on the feed ramp. I did have more success with releasing the slide, replacing the magazine, and then racking the slide, although it still got stuck several times while using that method. What do you guys think? Is it possible that this 1911 just doesn't like winchester, or do I have a magazine or recoil spring issue?

-Thanks

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: New gsg 1911 not going into battery

i would,nt panic yet, i,m willing to bet trying someother brands of ammo might make a difference. my personal favorite that seems to work in just about any type of chamber is cci of one type or another. 22,s are dirty so keep your gun clean and well lubed and try different brands of ammo. give it 4 or 5 hundred rounds for a break in period then if you still have problems start looking for a mechanical reason. happy shooting, red dog

(Northampton County)

Default Re: New gsg 1911 not going into battery

That's odd, never had that problem with my GSG. I feed it Federal bulk and CCI.

(Monroe County)

TRy this , before you release the slide use the tip of your finger and press back the top round into the mag as far back as it can go then let it fly, i bet the problem will be solved.

Remington 597's and some Ruger 10/22's are notorious for this. New, stiff spring and ammo that may be a touch weak. I always recommend hand cycling your semi a couple hundred times before trying to shoot it just to save yourself a little aggravation. It does a mild dehorn and lets ammo that may be a little weak work better when cycling spent cartridges. Some gun folk say this is not necessary, but never do I have an issue with a new semi. Almost every new Rem. 597 I have seen does what you are describing, including my son's. A little oil (after removing the factory corrosion prohibitors) and a bunch of hand cycles and now it will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. It is all I did to solve the problem. No more dented bullet tips or bent brass.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

As i mentioned in another thread the 1911 22lrs are cool as sh$% but they have been known to jam. Usually we are talking about a add on kit that turns your 45acp/38 super or whatever in to a 22LR, they jam a lot I hear. I would think that factory gun would not jam as much. It may just need some tweaking and it might be a sweet shooter. Its really hard trouble shoot a gun without being there or a full detail idea of whats happening.

(Snyder County)

1911s in the 22 cal format don't have the recoil spring power as the big brother 45's. Because of the lacking power you have to make sure there are no other hang ups otherwise you'll have feeding issues like you're having. First thing to check is the magazine. For what you stated, when you insert a fully loaded magazine the bullet doesn't want to feed all the way. What happens when you insert a partially loaded magazine with maybe only 3 rounds? If you have no issues, add another bullet to the magazine and test it again. Keep doing this until your feeding issue begins. If this only happens on fully loaded magazines or even partials, then first check the magazine lips to make sure both sides are the same (not bent) and that the inside of the lips of the magazine is burr free. Try lubricating, waxing, polishing the lips to see if that reduces any friction. If you still have issues you might have to reduce the magazine spring pressure although I would leave this as the last resort. Check the feed ramp on the barrel and make sure that there are no burrs and that its smooth. Polishing the feed ramp is a performance mod and should be done anyways.

If all else fails take it back to the gun shop and have them look at. If they are knowledgeable they should be able to pin point the problem quickly.