Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Question regarding LTCF application for new resident of Cumberland County

Good Afternoon,

I recently moved from New Jersey to Mechanicsburg,PA. I downloaded the LTCF Application from the Cumberland County website. (http://www.ccpa.net/index.aspx?NID=3094) and I have two questions regarding the instructions.

3. COMPLETE THE 2 (TWO) REFERENCES WITH MAILING ADDRESSES AND HOME TELEPHONE NUMBERS THAT ARE REQUIRED. THEY SHOULD BE RESIDENTS OF CUMBERLAND COUNTY, AND HAVE KNOWN THE APPLICANT FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR.

I know multiple people in PA who I can use as references, although none of them reside in Cumberland County. Is anyone here familiar with Cumberland County specifically, and will this present a problem if they reside in another county?

6. AFTER A COMPLETE CRIMINAL HISTORY CHECK HAS BEEN MADE, WHICH INCLUDES CHECKING WITH THE CUMBERLAND COUNTY OCCUPATION TAX BUREAU TO DETERMINE RESIDENCY IN CUMBERLAND COUNTY, AND YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED, YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AND GIVEN FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS BY MAIL.

Since I recently moved from NJ, I can't imagine my name will be on any county tax records. What is the recommended course of action in this case?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
    Last edited by ssean; June 27th, 2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Clarity

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Question regarding LTCF application for new resident of Cumberland County

Quote Originally Posted by ssean View Post
    Good Afternoon,

I recently moved from New Jersey to Mechanicsburg,PA. I downloaded the LTCF Application from the Cumberland County website. (http://www.ccpa.net/index.aspx?NID=3094) and I have two questions regarding the instructions.

3. COMPLETE THE 2 (TWO) REFERENCES WITH MAILING ADDRESSES AND HOME TELEPHONE NUMBERS THAT ARE REQUIRED. THEY SHOULD BE RESIDENTS OF CUMBERLAND COUNTY, AND HAVE KNOWN THE APPLICANT FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR.

I know multiple people in PA who I can use as references, although none of them reside in Cumberland County. Is anyone here familiar with Cumberland County specifically, and will this present a problem if they reside in another county?

6. AFTER A COMPLETE CRIMINAL HISTORY CHECK HAS BEEN MADE, WHICH INCLUDES CHECKING WITH THE CUMBERLAND COUNTY OCCUPATION TAX BUREAU TO DETERMINE RESIDENCY IN CUMBERLAND COUNTY, AND YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED, YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AND GIVEN FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS BY MAIL.

Since I recently moved from NJ, I can't imagine my name will be on any county tax records. What is the recommended course of action in this case?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
    It shouldn't be a problem no matter where your references reside. It's worth noting that references aren't actually in PA law at all, but the PSP has added that "requirement" to the application form and I don't know anyone who has challenged them for doing so.

I'd recommend just using your two best references, no matter where they reside (as long as they aren't family). If they give you an issue shoot me a PM; also, if you can check here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/ (top right corner) and find out who your representatives are I'll speak to them, or at least their staff, tomorrow about it.

Do you have a PA driver's license yet? If you did that alone should clear up the residency issue, because you have to prove residency to get a PA DL.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Question regarding LTCF application for new resident of Cumberland County

I dont know Cumberland specifics...but references can live anywhere. The only stipulation is that they not be relatives. What county...or state...they live in doesn't matter.

If you have a PA drivers license or PA Pic ID then you are a resident that's all you should need.

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Question regarding LTCF application for new resident of Cumberland County

i have been used as a reference numerous times in cumberland county and never have been contacted(go figure). as far as the tax record thing they are looking for people that owe back taxes and they will not issue untill they are paid. be prepared to wait 3 weeks or so to pick up your permit. i find it a bad reflection on the sheriffs dept. because you can go and get this all done while you wait in york co.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    i have been used as a reference numerous times in cumberland county and never have been contacted(go figure). as far as the tax record thing they are looking for people that owe back taxes and they will not issue untill they are paid. be prepared to wait 3 weeks or so to pick up your permit. i find it a bad reflection on the sheriffs dept. because you can go and get this all done while you wait in york co.
    Really? Is that a new prohibition?

(Cumberland County)

When my wife and I first moved to Cumberland County, we had to prove we were on the tax roles before the sheriff would issue a LTCF. I'm not sure what the reasoning was, I assumed to prove residency. But the sheriff did check, and my wife wasn't listed on the tax roles. After she got on the list and paid her back taxes she was able to get her license. This was probably 15 years ago, so whether it's changed or not since I don't know.

BTW -- my references (also my neighbors) have never been contacted as far as I know.
    NRA Life Member, Mechanicsburg

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs down Re: Question regarding LTCF application for new resident of Cumberland County

i can.t say for sure about the tax check, but it seems to me it,s not the sheriffs job to do this. i also wonder if it,s even a legal tactic. never the less it,s being done. hence the longer wait in cumberland co.. how about some imput from the other co. in pa.. maybe this is something that we can put a stop to with some pressure in the right place. i make the assumption that this is not being done state wide because of the faster turn around for ltcf,s in other co..

The Sheriff's office in Cumberland County is being used to get people on the tax rolls - especially people who don't own property and would not show up any other way.

When I got married I sold my house and moved into the wife's home. I had to go pay a $5 residency tax before they would process my application...and was told I would be "reported" to other taxing agencies where I live (school district, township, etc.) I told them I am already paying them taxes - I was not trying to skirt paying taxes - and I used to live in a county that did not have a stupid $5 nuisance tax for the privilege of living in the county...

Is the sheriff still refusing mail-in applications? I want my wife to get one, but she works the same hours as the LTCF office. I wanted to do the mail-in thing, but was rebuffed and told that there are now extended hours on certain nights. I haven't gotten around to making a ruckuss about it because, well, it is my wife who'd have to make the ruckuss.

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Question regarding LTCF application for new resident of Cumberland County

i,ve been told that the sheriffs office is indeed open one evening a month, i believe it,s the second wendsday. check on the day as well as hours as my memory is slipping on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by PPM209 View Post
    Is the sheriff still refusing mail-in applications? I want my wife to get one, but she works the same hours as the LTCF office. I wanted to do the mail-in thing, but was rebuffed and told that there are now extended hours on certain nights.
    No PA sheriff can take mail-in applications now because of the new LTCF system that went into place earlier this year.

Applicants must appear in person to sign an electronic signature pad and get their photo taken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast