Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Truck roof gun rack under bed --

has anyone attached a roof gun rack to under their bed frame yet? If so - how accessible was the gun in an emergency? I am looking at The Big Sky rack in Cabelas (or even an ATV rack). I don't want to spend the money on one and not have it work out like I'm hoping it will.
    "The hardest part of a Zombie Apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited!!"

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Truck roof gun rack under bed --

Maybe I am missing something or am stupid, but why would you put a roof rack under your bed? And who would put guns up on their roof?

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Philadelphia County)

You’re not stupid --- it’s just one of my harebrained ideas

But here’s my thinking: I can’t find anything that I like that has ease of access and keeps it concealed. I don’t want it laying on the floor under my bed (Hardwood floors) --- I have it in a case now, but not liking that for ease of access. I haven’t seen anything that actually attaches to a bedframe --- all I’m finding is the one that goes between the mattress and box spring --- god knows my dogs will be using that as a step to get up into bed. I want it attached a mount to my metal frame --- and all my looking at various gun racks got me thinking about the roof rack. Didn’t know if anyone else has tried it yet.
    "The hardest part of a Zombie Apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited!!"

(Bucks County)

My bad. I did a search, and it is actually a "overhead" rack, not a "roof" rack.

Might not be a bad idea. Just wonder how quick the access is.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Haha, you confused me too. I thought you meant under your truck's bed.
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

(Monroe County)

haha WOW all I'm thinking is "the amount of road dust on that bad boy would be horrible! haha

anyway I don't know why you would... what kind of a bed frame do you have? bunkbeds?

seriously just put it on the floor under the bed if thats what you want to do but keep in mind thats an easy spot for kids to find it. if you are worried about the floors then put a towel down
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Burban84 View Post
    You’re not stupid --- it’s just one of my harebrained ideas

But here’s my thinking: I can’t find anything that I like that has ease of access and keeps it concealed. I don’t want it laying on the floor under my bed (Hardwood floors) --- I have it in a case now, but not liking that for ease of access. I haven’t seen anything that actually attaches to a bedframe --- all I’m finding is the one that goes between the mattress and box spring --- god knows my dogs will be using that as a step to get up into bed. I want it attached a mount to my metal frame --- and all my looking at various gun racks got me thinking about the roof rack. Didn’t know if anyone else has tried it yet.
    How would something like this suit you?
    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I was able to make the 1/2" x 2" tees work. I still want to find some felt or something to line the inside of the brackets the gun rests on to help protect the finish on the gun, versus just laying right on the PVC, but that should be a pretty simple detail to wrap up.

Some pics of my completed project:

It conceals excellently, even with just a sheet, and it's positioned so that when I reach over from a normal lying position, I can grasp the gun right at the trigger guard/safety area. I made the frame outline small enough so that even if used with a twin sized mattress, it won't stick out the other side of the bed, so this rack should work on any bed I may ever rest in.
    There are more photos of how it was made earlier in the thread where the quoted post resides. I originally found the idea on another forum.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Either Gnbrotz's setups, or just cut a rectangle of carpeting to the dimensions of your gun. Put carpet on floor. Put gun on carpet. Slide under bed.

Though I will comment that under the bed wouldn't be my primary choice for long gun storage. Reaching around in the dark for a weapon while under adrenaline, stress, and shaking off sleep, would not be a great idea.