Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Monroeville Gun Show - Showmasters

Thanks guys, I just might have to check it out.
    http://d2jxk7u2ol2fk7.cloudfront.net/image/thumb/large/COMBAT_INFAN_SBM_QB.jpg

This is not a gun show people because real gun shows actually have guns and gun related items for sale........its a garbage show.

Here is my review from the last "gun" show

Well I made the mistake of going today purely for the entertainment value and this was by far the worst "gun show" that I've ever been too. I had the lowest of expectations and I was still dissappointed. The foot traffic was way down which could be in part due to the NRA show, however I think that the word is out on the quality of this show.......or should I say lack thereof.

More than half of the tables had crap knifes, 2 different types of gutter guards, basement waterproofing, furniture, fudge, beef jerky, jewelry, and other junk that has no buisness being at a gun show. I think I might of accidently seen a few guns there. Dry Tavern and a vendor that had some real nice steel plate targets were the only tables that had anything worth giving a look at. The only item that my friend and I left with was 2000 mastercast bullets from a vendor that I had seen at this show the last two times. As we were walking out to the vendor's truck to get the bullets he said that this time would more than likely be his last.

If you are thinking about attending this show my advice would be to punch yourself in the balls. You'll get the same affect as attending this show and will and save yourself the $8 admission as well as the $4/gal in gas.

(Allegheny County)

The Monroeville Show is a waste of $8, plus for me at least, turnpike fees. For some reason I forced myself to go to this show over and over. I can usually find at least one gun I'm interested in for a fair price for any other show, but I've only gone home with a gun once from this show in over 2 years.

I suggest you save your money for the Washington or Pittsburgh Mills show.

I do feel bad for the dealers at this show, because it seems to be a lot of lookers, and not a lot of buyers. Which is probally why the hall does not fill all the tables.

I like the fact that they have a gun show in Monroeville, I just it would attracted more gun dealers and less junk.

It's my opinion you can take it or leave it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Destructo View Post
    <snip>

I like the fact that they have a gun show in Monroeville, I just it would attracted more gun dealers and less junk.

It's my opinion you can take it or leave it.
    There is the vendor's perspective; if folks showed up and spent, word would spread and more vendors with larger selections would show.

As it is, folks want to get the best internet deal they can - we see that recommendation all the time on the boards. So they come to browse and tire-kick.

Vendors aren't gonna drive for hours with a massive investment in inventory if there are no buyers.

You end up with a vicious circle; no spend, no sales, no one shows up to sell, we have no one to buy from - or very weak selections to choose from...

We have no winners.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    There is the vendor's perspective; if folks showed up and spent, word would spread and more vendors with larger selections would show.

As it is, folks want to get the best internet deal they can - we see that recommendation all the time on the boards. So they come to browse and tire-kick.

Vendors aren't gonna drive for hours with a massive investment in inventory if there are no buyers.

You end up with a vicious circle; no spend, no sales, no one shows up to sell, we have no one to buy from - or very weak selections to choose from...

We have no winners.
    Indeed everyone is looking for a good deal. I don't think anyone says to themselves that, "I will buy the first <insert gun here> I see!" But some of these asking prices... down right ridiculous. I have only been to maybe 11 gun stores in my life, and I'd say 8 out of 11 were not priced that high. I don't know the inner workings of fire arm commerce so I won't even try to pretend that I do. But I know an unconverted Saiga Rifle does not cost $500 with only one magazine nor a used Bersa .380 cost $375. I go with full intent to buy but I won't buy at rip off prices. Indiana's gun show had several good prices, but Monroeville continues to disappoint.

I have only tried to talk down the price once, failed, and never tried again. Maybe I just tried with the wrong seller.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    Indeed everyone is looking for a good deal. I don't think anyone says to themselves that, "I will buy the first <insert gun here> I see!" But some of these asking prices... down right ridiculous. I have only been to maybe 11 gun stores in my life, and I'd say 8 out of 11 were not priced that high. I don't know the inner workings of fire arm commerce so I won't even try to pretend that I do. But I know an unconverted Saiga Rifle does not cost $500 with only one magazine nor a used Bersa .380 cost $375. I go with full intent to buy but I won't buy at rip off prices. Indiana's gun show had several good prices, but Monroeville continues to disappoint.

I have only tried to talk down the price once, failed, and never tried again. Maybe I just tried with the wrong seller.
    There are all sorts of vendors who sell guns at a gun show. Some are regular retailers with shops open regularly. Some, such as myself, who have a shop but are open on a limited basis or with no shop and just set up at shows. Then there are some who aren't licensed dealers at all but are selling as though they were or just guys getting rid of a few of their own items. Sometimes the difference between the ones in the last sentance can be very hard to discern.

These vendors have varied approches to pricing at shows. Some inflate their prices hoping for top (or outragious) retail or in the hopes of finding the "right buyer". Some, especially the guys who are truly selling their own personal guns don't want to part with it for less than X dollars for a myriad of reasons (Mostly they don't want to get rid of it for less than they paid for it. Pretty tough to do with a used gun someone bought new. I've seen that more than I can count) Some, such as myself, don't change my shop price. It is the same price at show as it is in the store. Some vendors go for a volume approach and sell as much stuff at as low a profit margin as they can in an attempt to make money on a wide sale base.

Regardless of pricing, all these vendors have one thing in common. It costs them money to set up at a show. How much their overhead is depends on table costs, distance from home, fuel costs, accomodations, meals, etc. Sometimes the costs can be considerable. These people at least want to break even for the weekend.

That being said, here's the deal plain and simple: Most of us want to make a profit! To varying degrees, we are there to sell something for more than we paid for it. Some want to make a reasonable markup and are willing to work with buyers who have realistic expectations on their purchase. Most of us are business people and this is our job. Like any other retailer, we need to make a profit and don't work for free. Other vendors have unrealistic expectations as to what some items might reasonably sell for. Some of these may be caught in a true "I paid to much for it in the first place". (As opposed to a false sales pitch) Most of these gougers are just looking for a sucker however. Many of these people are not likely to be willing to wheel and deal a bit either. How some of these people stay in "business" is beyond me.

What items (especially guns) sell for have always been all over the board for as long as I can remember. That hasn't changed in the 25years I've been in business and it's not likely to.

As for nfafan's comments about the vendor-buyer circle, he is correct. I've seen a multitude of gunshows spiral to death in just such a cycle. The C&E Monroeville show I suspect is going to be one of them.

(Elk County)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ScotsGuards again."

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Beaver County)

Bump.... Show is today and tomorrow... See ya there.
    Please visit my Website for Exotic ammunition and 37mm goodies... http://gunshowgoods.com

(Westmoreland County)

I might swing by and see if there are any SR1911's for under 6 bills. Then off to Ralph's Army Navy for some surplus browsing! Sounds like a fun afternoon!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Allegheny County)

I went today and bought some misc. parts and other items.Saw Neo31rex31 who was busy talking to a customer,stopped to say hello to bige64.Nice show,good lunch afterward with my buddy.Got some fair deals,saw some not so fair deals.YMMV.tom.
    N.R.A LIFE MEMBER GOA annual member

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast