Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default EAA Witness SKU from Cabela's

I took a ride up to Cabela's to try to get my hands on as many .45's as I could for comparison. I was initially leaning toward a 1911 but the only ones they had, that "I" liked, were priced higher than I wanted to spend. So I kept looking in the cases and spotted an EAA 45/22 combo. I remembered reading a lot of great reviews on the Witness series so I decided to buy one.

When I got home I broke it down and cleaned it up. Then I went online to lookup parts for it... extra mags, grips, sights, and then I noticed the SKU on the box is different from what EAA lists for their current models. The SKU is 999171 and it's a 45/22 combo kit. The only difference I can see is my .45 slide has the "Wonder Finish" (light bronze color) instead of the listed Blue or Steel models. They don't seem to offer the combo in the WF color.

Judging from a teeny-tiny spot of rust inside each slide I'm guessing it's probably just old stock of a discontinued SKU/color combo. But it would make my day if I found out it's a "limited production" model.

Anyone have any insight on my purchase? Any thoughts on the EAA Witness in general? And where can I score some thinner wood grips? Does anyone know if CZ-75 grips are a direct replacement? Thanks.
    Last edited by C5pilot; June 26th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
    http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg142/C5-pilot/Sigs/AllysAmazingAmmo03a.jpg

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: EAA Witness SKU from Cabela's

I'd be interested to hear your results once you take it for a spin. I had my eye on one. Yours polymer or steel? Full size?
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 27th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I'd be interested to hear your results once you take it for a spin. I had my eye on one. Yours polymer or steel? Full size?
    Will do. Range is closed Mondays but I'll get there ASAP. It's the full size steel frame.

(Allegheny County)

I was looking at the compact polymer .45acp. So anything you have to report will be welcome.

I've got a steel Witness is .38 Super that is great. Shoots good and is good for woods and open carry. It is not one for CC, but I did not get it for that. The nice thing about the Witness is you can get a kit to convert it to fire other calibers. Good all steel guns.

(Northampton County)

I've owned 4 EAA/Witness pistols over the years - all have been well above average in function - most needed a little polishing of the feed ramps and two needed heavier recoil springs to prevent FTF problems. Once that was done, they were trouble free with any ammo. I still have the .45 full size steel with the "Wonder" finish. Two of them NIB with that finish and were silvery grey - look like matte stainless - not a bronze color. The .45, which I've owned now for 12 years, has taken on a pleasant steel grey color over the years - still not "bronze" color. I've had two occasions to call the EAA tech folks over the years and both times they were very helpful and pleasant. Give them a call and ask about your gun. You very well may have a "special edition" made for Cabela's or some other shop. Good luck and enjoy.

IMG_2597_2.jpg
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Susquehanna County)

Call EAA directly. Im pretty sure they'll give you the information you seek.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    The nice thing about the Witness is you can get a kit to convert it to fire other calibers.
    Last night while doing some research I found out why the CZ and Witness have been so popular around the world. Not only do many agency's depend on the reliable platform, it's actually the inexpensive conversion kits available that put them over the top in sales. Where other manufacturers charge an arm and a leg to convert, these two kept the cost at a minimum because many countries have a steep tax per firearm. The conversion allows people to claim one gun without paying additional taxes for the other calibers. I thought that was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    I still have the .45 full size steel with the "Wonder" finish. Two of them NIB with that finish and were silvery grey - look like matte stainless - not a bronze color.
    I just read somewhere the WF was a silvery-gold color. Maybe there is more than one WF color over the years. I'll find out when I contact them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Call EAA directly. Im pretty sure they'll give you the information you seek.
    I have an email out to them. Finding the time to call during business hours is tough.

It also just dawned on me that my serial number begins with "CAB"xxxx. Something is telling me this IS a special Cabela edition. Hmmm.

(Dauphin County)

How about some pictures for our enjoyment?

(Montgomery County)

I took the Witness to the range this morning and, WOW. I might have a new favorite gun to shoot. I only had a chance to fire about 30 rounds of 45 and then switched it over to 22 and shot another 20 rounds. No failures of any kind, unless the slide is supposed to lock open on the last 22 round. I don't think it's supposed to but I'll look into it.

Firing the 45 feels smooth and crisp. Barely any muzzle flip at all with the low profile slide. All the weight is in your hand, not being flung around. With any luck I can find some nice thin grips because even though the stock rubber grips "feel" comfortable, they're literally a handful. I've read about some aftermarket grips online which make the grip very similar in size as a 1911.

Firing the 22 (after shooting some 45), it's like nothing is happening. Then when I reeled the target in it also appeared nothing was happening... all the shots were super high. I pulled out my pocket screwdriver to adjust the elevation but I couldn't get it to budge. Since I was on my way to work I didn't have time to play with it in the low-light of the range so I just left it alone and will look at it tomorrow.

As of right now, I am astonished I got a gun that shoots this well, in 2 calibers, for under $600 new. If this thing holds up, I don't know how you can beat it for the price. And the "Match" model is supposed to be even better for only a little more. I can't wait to get back to the range. I've already decided to reload some more 9mm right away because I have a feeling once I switch the press over to .45 it's probably going to be in that configuration for a while. Time to order supplies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast