Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Teacher and open carry

Just wanted to get some opinions on this....I just go hired in a small town as a teacher. Does anyone here think that complications could/would arise from a teacher open carrying in the town they teach in?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Teacher and open carry

You betcha....
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

I think you would get much cred from your students if you run into any....but much S**t from the administration.
    Those of us without a dog in the fight will probably yell "Do it Do it" just to see what happens....some may say given the situation you may be better off CC.
    Ultimately the choice is yours.

DO IT!!!! DO IT!!!!!!
    (don't do it)
    It takes 40 muscles to frown, but only 4 to pull the trigger on a decent sniper rifle.

(Philadelphia County)

As long as it's not on school property and you teach the kids what they need to be taught, who gives a shit?

I had a teacher who was an avid gun owner/hunter. He always took a personal day for the opening of deer season. No one cared because he showed up to work everyday, taught the lessons he needed to teach, and the kids he taught respected and earned the grades in his class.

IMO if you're doing your job, what does it matter what some anti parent/faculty think?
    Last edited by SAB215; June 26th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I was in education for a bit. When I was, I explained to a lot of my fellow peers it was a good idea to not live in the area that you teach. For a long time I could not go to the local mall without running into students I had taught at some point. You always have eyes watching you when you work in the public eye.

Remember, you are a teacher, so you are not to do the following: own and shoot guns, drink alcohol, attend parties, and have a personal life

I don't teach anymore so I will OC more, but it is not an easy balance for those still in the education system.

Best of luck!
    Active Citizen

(Jefferson County)

Expect your vehicle to be randomly picked for searches more often then others while at work.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

My wife is a teacher and is constantly telling me how the overwhelming liberal her colleagues are and as such I don't think even knowing she shoots would be a good idea. I do know a few liberals that shoot but most I would wager do not.

I can't tell you what to do, but if the job is important to you CC may be the way to go. Why chance it?

(Bedford County)

This is a small country town....that I grew up in and is also my alma mater....I have alot of family history and business here that has been all positive. Just curious how parents(say some of you) would react etc if seeing a teacher in the community say gas station, grocerystore etc OC.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
    This is a small country town....that I grew up in and is also my alma mater....I have alot of family history and business here that has been all positive. Just curious how parents(say some of you) would react etc if seeing a teacher in the community say gas station, grocerystore etc OC.
    Than you could answer your question better than any of us could. What's the overall feeling of the town?

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Than you could answer your question better than any of us could. What's the overall feeling of the town?
    I have done it many times before when I was teaching in a dif district....but most obvisouly didn't know me as their teacher, or teacher of their student. Never had second thoughts then...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast