Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Deer Hunting With a 12ga?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    on the antibambi hunter issue, remember, PA has a hunter protection law.
    it is illegal for anyone to interfere with a legal hunter or a legally sanctioned hunt.
    Arrests are possible, along with heavy fines, and this is enforced.

keep the cops and the PAGC on the speed dial if you run into someone who is interfering with a hunt, or harassing you as a hunter, call them to make an arrest.

I think the entire United States has that law.. I think Slick Willey signed it into Federal law during his term.

(Allegheny County)

JayBell,

Thanks for this info. I was unaware this form of hunter interference was punishable.
    I have never run into this but have heard stories of people who have.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Montgomery County)

there has been some mention, but its never high profile.
    I dont believe this is a federal law fully, it only controls hunters on FEDERAL land, as each state regulates and formulates its own game laws, other than Federal laws.
    heres one mention:
    http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article...-Law-Page1.htm

she had the case overturned later, as the accusation was too vague.

I cant find the actual statute, but found a blurb describing it.

"The Pennsylvania statute prohibits intentionally obstructing or interfering with lawful hunting. It is a violation to block, impede or otherwise harass a lawful hunter, or to enter private property without the owner's permission or enter public property intending to violate the law."
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...?Q=167807&A=11 is probably the link your looking for
    Also http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...&q=151077#2302

Sec. 2302. Interference with lawful taking of wildlife or other activities permitted by this title prohibited.
    (a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for another person at the location where the activity is taking place to intentionally obstruct or interfere with the lawful taking of wildlife or other activities permitted by this title.
    (a.1) Activities which violate section. - A person violates this section when he intentionally or knowingly:
    • (1) drives or disturbs wildlife for the purpose of disrupting the lawful taking of wildlife where another person is engaged in the process of lawfully taking wildlife or other permitted activities;
      (2) blocks, impedes or otherwise harasses another person who is engaged in the process of lawfully taking wildlife or other permitted activities;
      (3) uses natural or artificial visual, aural, olfactory or physical stimuli to affect wildlife behavior in order to hinder or prevent the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities;
      (4) creates or erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress or egress to areas where the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities may occur;
      (5) interjects himself into the line of fire;
      (6) affects the condition or placement of personal or public property intended for use in the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities in order to impair its usefulness or prevent its use;
      (7) enter or remain upon public lands or upon private lands without permission of the owner or their agent, with intent to violate this section; or (8) fails to obey the order of any officer whose duty it is to enforce any of the laws of this Commonwealth where such officer observes any conduct which violates this section or has reasonable grounds to believe that any person intends to engage in such conduct.

(b) Enforcement and recovery of damages. - The commission or any person who is lawfully engaged in the taking, hunting or trapping of game or wildlife who is directly affected by a violation of this section may bring an action to restrain conduct declared unlawful in this section and to recover damages.
    (c) Exceptions. - The conduct declared unlawful in this section does not include any activities arising from lawful activity by other land uses, including farming, mining, forestry practices, recreation or any other activities when it is evident that such activities are not intended to violate this section. (d) Penalties. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the second degree.
    Last edited by Frenchy; November 25th, 2006 at 09:55 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

HoggyO,

How do you stand for opening day?

Are you set up with equipment?

If so, have you had the opportunity to sight in your SG?

I haven't seen any deer where we are going to hunt on Mon. but for the past couple mornings I've been watching an 8 point from my couch chasing a doe. Must be a late rut. It's a nice sized deer out about 5/600 yds. There are also 3 other doe in that group that are feeding regularly. Another couple deer pass through that area also.

Unfortunately,I can't hunt these deer as I am in a SG only county and don't have permission to hunt there, but it's neat to watch as I have my morning brew and fantasizing making that shot with a rifle.

I think I posted earlier that my longest shot on a deer was 95paces with my rifled bbl shotty.

If you are going out on Mon. good luck and let us know how you fared.

I hope you got some good info from the board.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lebanon County)

1) if you don't have one yet, buy an 'improved cylinder' choke for your barrel and a Mossberg choke wrench (the improved cylinder choke is easily obtained; the improved cylinder choke doesn't cause alot of constriction; shooting a slug thru a tight choke can cause damage to a barrel that uses different chokes)

2) get some targets and find a range that has a 25 yard backstop; get yourself what are called 'rifled chokes' or 'forster style chokes'; these chokes are designed to shoot from smoothbore barrels; they are hollowbased and expand to fit tightly against the walls of the barrel when they are shot;

3) if your barrel is set up with 2 beads, make sure they are aligned when you shoot and see where the shots are landing on the target (if they are landing higher than your point-of-aim , then aim lower; if they are landing lower than your point-of-aim, then aim higher)

4) if your gun doesn't seem to be accurate, then try different brands of slugs until you feel that you have a level of accuracy that satisfies you (remember, you are going to hunt deer and not shoot accuracy competitions with your gun)

5) if you want to shoot farther, then try and find a range with a 50 yard backstop and practice some more until you feel comfortable with your results

6) usually 50 yards is about as far as you want to shoot with your setup without mounting a scope that offers a clear & magnified image of your target

good luck
    Last edited by kmrcstintn; February 22nd, 2007 at 02:41 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Yeagh. Called into Game Commission with a legit complaint about harrassment in Sully CO this past 06 Bear season. Dud that answered the call just blew me off with mobojumbo. I asked for his status with the Game Company (my feeble attempt to appeal to a higher God) and he speedread his status to me and we shorty parted ways. I don't ever go that route but I'm over 40 and try to be polite and follow the rules and laws set forth...bla..bla..bla..

I'm done talking to myself and them. It's my land and I'm tired of non-hunter's little visits to my treestand on my land cause they believe they love the bears more than me. If anyone had a legit case of harrasment it is was me. "while we discuss your views would you care to share a cup of my hot soup since your up here in my treestand..They(GameCompany) no longer see PA the way I do..they can't even keep a traditional date nevermind.....crap-I rant! Im done talking about this-EVER.

(Dauphin County)

Angry Re: Deer Hunting With a 12ga?

Geez..now I feel I must add history. I bought a place in Sully. It has a few bears. I fell in love with them but I don't teach them tricks or feed them by hand(Harrassment person) He/Her would prefer I "don't hunt her 'hand-raised' bears for the last 20 years..theres only a few left" (dah)

I don't invite outsiders to hunt. I'm very defensive and would like to have the entire area to myself but I don't own the world. I'm more like him/her than they realize..BUT I hunt/conserve/admire.. not teach bears to do tricks for donuts or a snickerbar and get them killed from association to human contact. Yes, I name them..love them..provide what habitat I can on my small piece of the world but I'm not the "GrizzlyMan"..can I put myself in their(nonhunter's) shoes..yes, but their wrong. They want to own the bear..be the bear.. The 'tribes' say, "You may not be the bear!" I go hunting and spend times afield..for my peace of mind. I'm fine with my maker and myself to decide if I take a bear...you let me decide and you all(you know who you are) can.......you know.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HoggyO View Post
    At this point in life, Married ,2 kids and one on the way.. I would have to say its a money issue,Where I hunt, Shotguns are not an issue. My Hunting Background is mostly Rabbits and Pheasants. If I can go out and do all my hunting with my 12ga without breaking the bank, that's my plan.

I was told I could take my 12 ga buy a scope, buy some slugs and head out the door, but once I started doing some reasearch, all the terms suchs as Rifled Barrel,smoothbore,slug gun, kind of put my "Just buy some slugs and head out the door" theroy to rest. Theres much more to it, as I'm finding out. From what I figure, with all this info from the PFOA, My Best bet would either buy a different Choke for Slugs or just break down and buy a good Deer Rifle.
    So now that I hi-jacked this thread by getting all fired up about someones post about harrassment rules...HoggyO, tell us how you made out this season and what you learned about the shotty choices! I have 4 kids and my Remington 870 is my goto gun for everything I could possible hunt unless I opt for another BUT I know I can do it with my 870 where I hunt in PA! Here's one for ya that doesn't ever seem to come up with new technology in shotties. I'm feeling like a blabber mouth cause they closed down my indoor range so bear with my abbv mood.

Bought a 870special purpose..bigdeal..it's black and the SP means that it came with a montycarlo stock..whooho..little cheekrise so you can get a signature to the gun. It also has a pretty nice recoil pad..who's(beats me) Remington's recoil pad-right? It came with a whatchacallit(scopemount thats part of the barrel) so that barrel can only be used with optics of some kind. I bought an xtra barrel for duck/rabbit/pheasant 26" with rem choke so I can tune loads at will BUT it's that original barrel that still shocks me. It is short but it came with a 3" rifled choke tube that can stabilize the 'el cheap o SLUGGER 1oz load out to 100yards with a group that could kill groundhogs. 3" of rifles choke twists a 1 ounce chunk of lead accurate to 100yards..in PA..what can you hunt? A 12 guage is the only brushbuster out there and if you can prove another rifle equal-prove it. NedSpeak-out. Sheesh-I blab better that most..but my English teacher knows she sucks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123