Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Deer Hunting With a 12ga?

HoggyO,

As others posted ,you can use the same shotgun for small game and deer.

I would buy another barrel just for deer with rifle sights or scope mounted.

I have killed a deer with a 20 ga. slug (25yd)before getting a 12 ga.

I personally have a shotgun set up to hunt just deer in Allegheny Co. (slugs only,no buckshot).

I have a Ithaca M87 12ga. chambered for 2 3/4 or 3" shells. The 2 3/4" shoot more accurately.

Mine is a 20" rifled bbl (deerslayer)with a 3X9 Simmons scope (I mounted the Simmons years ago because I didn't know if the recoil would damage a better quality scope).

This combo shoots 3 1/2 " groups at 100 yds consistantly and I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot a bit further.

I use Lightfield or Remington copper sabots and was surprised that they both hit pretty close to the same point of impact given that they are designed a bit different and the lightfields are a 1/4 oz heavier. I originally used Ballistic Research Industries sabots which were bought out by Winchester years ago.

The longest shot I ever made on a deer was made with this SG (95 paces), and I have probably shot a dozen or so of my 40 + whitetails with it. The multiple tags available in Allegheny co over the years made it possible to harvest 2 or 3 a season(dependent on freezer space).

Good luck.

The .444 or .35Rem. are good choices but my brother-in-law shoots deer every year with a scoped .357 Mag rifle.
    Last edited by 27hand; November 14th, 2006 at 06:03 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lawrence County)

Also check Mossberg because you can sometimes get a rifled choke tube, that way you can still use a regular slug with a sabot, and just switch chokes when you want to use the shotgun for small game...

Some of you people need to think before you make recommendations...depending on where the OP hunts...he might only have the option of hunting with a shotgun...which is why he asked his original question. He probably lives inbetween a MWU that allows rifles and one that only allows shotgun.

He also might not want a dedicated rifled barrel due to expense or some other reason. Using a choke would work for him. It's great to offer him other options, but the more options you offer...the more confusing it can become on the person.

(Allegheny County)

Aubie,

You are right.

I for one ,went off on a tangent based on what I use since I do hunt a designated shotgun only area at times and know it's easier to hit a deer with rifle sights as opposed to a gold bead. That was my reason to suggest a rifle sighted or scope mounted barrel.

I think sometimes we believe we are being more helpful by offering multiple options.

HoggyO did not offer up that he lived in a special regulations area or what area he intended to hunt in or if cost constraints were an issue.

It appears he is somewhat new to the hunting end of firearms use. Perhaps I misread that into his post. That being said, I don't believe numerous options would confuse him but present enough material that he could further clarify his intentions or ask for more detailed info on what the "helpful" posters had to offer.

It's no different than when someone new to AR's asks for info on getting his first carbine.Someone more knowledgeable (not knowing what the new shooter wants to do with the rifle) will offer a whole slew of combinations for specific applications of said carbine. Heck, the new AR buyer may not even know himself what he wants to do with it, but without some direction and multiple options, he may not even know what questions to ask.

I don't want this thread to get too far off topic so let's get back on track by asking Hog.

HoggyO, Is the shotgun for deer and small game an issue at all due to cost or area you live in?

What is your hunting background,if any. The posters on this list have an abundance of information and as you can tell it's really tough to pry info from.

Please feel free to PM myself or any of these guys for specifics.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

At this point in life, Married ,2 kids and one on the way.. I would have to say its a money issue,Where I hunt, Shotguns are not an issue. My Hunting Background is mostly Rabbits and Pheasants. If I can go out and do all my hunting with my 12ga without breaking the bank, that's my plan.

I was told I could take my 12 ga buy a scope, buy some slugs and head out the door, but once I started doing some reasearch, all the terms suchs as Rifled Barrel,smoothbore,slug gun, kind of put my "Just buy some slugs and head out the door" theroy to rest. Theres much more to it, as I'm finding out. From what I figure, with all this info from the PFOA, My Best bet would either buy a different Choke for Slugs or just break down and buy a good Deer Rifle.

(Lawrence County)

Trust me, married with 2 kids is something everyone usually understands... More often it's worth spending the $35 plus shipping and handling than buying even a used rifle... check out www.choketube.com it's where I got mine for my Moss. 500 before I sold it... If I still had it I would send it to you, but it went with the gun sorry...

(Lawrence County)

If you want, I still have the scope rail for the Mossberg 500A, which is pretty much the newer ones... Even comes with the screws... The ones already in the gun are too short to mount the scope with, I had to use larger ones. E-Mail me at chazman321@aol.com if you want it...

(Lebanon County)

Some things to consider about 444 Marlin. Ammo is getting harder to find, and it's $22 plus per box. Main reason I got rid of mine, and probably same reason your friend wants to get rid of his.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by HoggyO View Post
    At this point in life, Married ,2 kids and one on the way.. I would have to say its a money issue,Where I hunt, Shotguns are not an issue. My Hunting Background is mostly Rabbits and Pheasants. If I can go out and do all my hunting with my 12ga without breaking the bank, that's my plan.

I was told I could take my 12 ga buy a scope, buy some slugs and head out the door, but once I started doing some reasearch, all the terms suchs as Rifled Barrel,smoothbore,slug gun, kind of put my "Just buy some slugs and head out the door" theroy to rest. Theres much more to it, as I'm finding out. From what I figure, with all this info from the PFOA, My Best bet would either buy a different Choke for Slugs or just break down and buy a good Deer Rifle.

From the Mossberg's I've purchased you get 3 choke tubes. ...just put in the Improved Cylinder or Cylinder choke tube and buy some slugs. ...you'll be good to go.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=465&q=151336

Arms and Ammunition

General Statewide Seasons: (1) Manually operated center-fire rifles, handguns and shotguns with all-lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact; (2) muzzleloading long gun of any type or caliber; and (3) long, recurve or compound bows with a peak draw weight not less than 35 pounds, and crossbows with a draw weight of not less than 125 pounds, and not more than 200 pounds. Bowhunters must use arrows equipped with broadheads having an outside diameter of at least 7/8-inch with no less than two cutting edges, which shall be in the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface. Crossbow hunters may use bolts tipped with broadheads of cutting edge design. The use of buckshot is illegal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area.

(Montgomery County)

on the antibambi hunter issue, remember, PA has a hunter protection law.
    it is illegal for anyone to interfere with a legal hunter or a legally sanctioned hunt.
    Arrests are possible, along with heavy fines, and this is enforced.

keep the cops and the PAGC on the speed dial if you run into someone who is interfering with a hunt, or harassing you as a hunter, call them to make an arrest.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast