Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default LTCF Application Question

I'm filling out my Pa LCF application. My questions are about question no. 27: Reason for a License to Carry Firearms. I have two reasons: Self-Defense, and Target Shooting. The law says I should state "a" valid reason. The Berks Co. Sheriff's Office website says applicants should state ONE reason. (Link) My Sheriff's site (Delaware) doesn't say one way or another. Two questions:

1. Should I check only ONE reason, even though I have two?

2. If so, WHICH reason? Does it matter? If I choose "target shooting" and end up with a defensive use, is that a problem? If I choose "self defense" is that evidence of being a cowboy?

This seems really nit-picky, but my impression is that some Sheriff depts flyspeck these apps.

Thanks in advance from your newest member.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: LCF Application Question

"Self-Defense" is the basic "catch all" reason for having a LTCF. That is the one I would choose, as it covers all the bases.

Mine, personally, for some reason says "protection"... even though I put down Self Defense myself.

(Jefferson County)

As mentioned above.

Always choose "Self-Defense" or the similarly worded option... Its covers all. Not that you couldn't select one of the others - but some LEO, DA or judge would find a way to limit you to that option given the chance.

And no, its not evidence of being a cowboy.. hell, I carry cowboy style pistols in cowboy style rigs and I never get bothered by LEO's. ...in fact I received thumbs up from two DuBois Police officers as they were eating lunch at Subway and I was standing in line for my order to be taken,

(Delaware County)

Thanks. I thought that was probably the right answer, but I wanted to check with folks who have been through the process. Like I said, I get the feeling some officials are nit-picky, both at the application stage and at the post-shooting stage.

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    "Self-Defense" is the basic "catch all" reason for having a LTCF. That is the one I would choose, as it covers all the bases.

Mine, personally, for some reason says "protection"... even though I put down Self Defense myself.
    I believe "protection" is the old terminology they used to use. I have my dad's old LTCF from 1984 and it has PROTECTION as reason to carry... and also has spaces for make & model of weapon, caliber and serial number! His just said VARIOUS for these, though. And it was good for only ONE year! I don't know what the cost was.

Maybe some counties still like to use the old word, protection.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; January 4th, 2008 at 09:41 PM.

(Indiana County)

As far as I know, most people check off Self Defense, not that it really matters. The LTCF is for concealed carry, period. Why you plan on lawfully carrying concealed is up to you - there's only one class of LTCF, and that's concealed carry.

(Allegheny County)

My fiance's says "Protection" and is of a slightly different format than mine (blank white on reverse side). Her's was gotten at the Somerset court house only a month or so ago. Mine, from Westmoreland, says "Self-Defense" and it was most recently issued about 3 or 4 years ago ( & has the "If found, Please Return to [the sheriff]" on the reverse). Possibly they really havn't quite standardized the format yet?

(Erie County)

Self Defense. Target Shooting can easily be consider valuable training for self defense.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    The LTCF is for concealed carry, period. Why you plan on lawfully carrying concealed is up to you - there's only one class of LTCF, and that's concealed carry.
    I'm going to disagree with you on this. A LTCF is valid (and required) for at least four different reasons.

1. Concealed on or about your person
    2. In a vehicle
    3. During a declared emergency
    4. OC in Philly

Further, a LTCF issued for any reason listed on the application is valid for all. You are free to change your mind or exercise a different 'reason' at any time. You don't have to go get a new license if yours says "Target shooting" and you decide to start carrying concealed.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; January 5th, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mondonico View Post
    Thanks. I thought that was probably the right answer, but I wanted to check with folks who have been through the process. Like I said, I get the feeling some officials are nit-picky, both at the application stage and at the post-shooting stage.
    As already stated choose self-defense. Mine says self-defense and my wife put target shooting, since at the time it's all she was interested in and that's what hers now says. Some counties, no matter what you put, come back self-defense.

I see you live in Delaware County, as do I, the current Sheriff does seem to nit pick big time and takes the time to contact everyone listed on your application, INCLUDING your employer. Be prepared for that.

Welcome to the forum.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast