Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Firearms

(Philadelphia County)

Question Taurus Firearms

So I'm looking for a new toy, and what I've been seeing a lot online, at ranges and gunshops is more and more Taurus pistols. From what I've seen they have a good selection of both semiautomatics and revolvers. The Taurus Judge looks pretty BA with a .410 and .44mag capability, but has anyone shot a Taurus, or know anything about them? Considering buying the PT140 Millenium for summertime CC... but for some reason the low price (Around $400 from what I've seen) makes me feel its not as good a gun as say, a Glock or Beretta. Any thoughts?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Taurus Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
    So I'm looking for a new toy, and what I've been seeing a lot online, at ranges and gunshops is more and more Taurus pistols. From what I've seen they have a good selection of both semiautomatics and revolvers. The Taurus Judge looks pretty BA with a .410 and .44mag capability, but has anyone shot a Taurus, or know anything about them? Considering buying the PT140 Millenium for summertime CC... but for some reason the low price (Around $400 from what I've seen) makes me feel its not as good a gun as say, a Glock or Beretta. Any thoughts?
    The Judge is .45Colt, not .44mag.

Taurus' reputation isn't as good as Glock or Beretta. Some folks have problems with theirs, most don't. I would buy another Taurus should I have the money and desire. I presently have an 851 shrouded hammer snubby that works great.

For $400 though, you can buy a unmistakably well built used gun from Glock, Beretta, or another manufacturer.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Taurus Firearms

The Judge looks cute, but isn't a practical firearm for CC/OC, or even home defense.

Stick with Taurus clones of KNOWN S&W products, like, J-frame revolvers. I'm partial to their Model 85 and 605 revolvers, in .38 and .357 respectively. QC is generally acceptable, and they're HALF the price of S&W equivalents. I have a 605 for pocket carry - particularly in the summer.

(Monroe County)

I have a pt140, and would buy it again if I had to do it over. I have put close to 1000 rounds through it without any issues. My wife also has a pt 111 that we got used and have also put about 500 rounds threough without any issues. We have fired federal target, winchester target, winchester ranger, and a couple other various brands with no issues with any.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
    ... Considering buying the PT140 Millenium for summertime CC... but for some reason the low price (Around $400 from what I've seen) makes me feel its not as good a gun as say, a Glock or Beretta. Any thoughts?
    You can get a Kahr CW9 (9mm, 7+1 rounds) for less than $400 which, in my opinion, is a much better pistol than a Taurus.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Taurus Firearms

the only Taurus firearms i have left in my collection are two judges that i love but if I was looking for a gun to carry it wouldn't be a Taurus if you can buy a used glock or even a kahr cw series that would be better. I had a millennium .45 that i traded for a used glock 33 that i now carry everywhere, but thats me. Get what you can afford and practice with it make sure you can count your life on it

(Philadelphia County)

Oh awesome thank you guys. Yeah I figured I might just check out a used Glock, possibly an XD. Might get a Glock 17, with a .22 adapter (spelling?) kit. That way, I can go to the range without breaking the bank.

(Monroe County)

Just remember that you are now comparing new to used. a used PT140 can be had in the $2-300 range. Although I do agree a .22 is nice for the range, which is why I picked up a Walther p22 as well. I have seen a lot of people who have "heard of issues" with Taurus, but very few who have personally had an issue with any of them. I have seen this on many different types of forums too, a less expensive item is automatically deemed a lower quality or "cheap" item when in fact the difference is negligible. I am rather new to the firearm scene, so I may not be 100% correct in my assumption, but I would guess that many people who have nothing good to say about them, also have little to no first hand experience. That is not to say that those that have posted in this thread do not, just a generalization. My suggestion would be to hold a few in your hand and see what feels comfortable to you. I personally liked the feel of the Taurus over the feel of the Glock.

(York County)

I had a pt111 and didn't like it. No malfunctions mind you. Just didn't like it. I just bought a 24/7 Pro that I love. And I carry it every day. No problems or issues at all. Like others have said hold a few and see what feels right. Its not a cobra or something that may or may not work. They are good guns. I own better and worse.

Either way enjoy whatever toy you get.

(Bucks County)

I have owned a Taurus 709 slim for over a year and love it. Have not had one problem with it and have over 1k rounds downrange. Very nice summer carry pistol.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast