Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Firearms

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Taurus Firearms

As I've said in many a thread...I own a Taurus PT1911 and a .44 Mag Raging Bull. Love them both! As a matter of fact, the Raging Bull is one of the nicest shooting ,44 mags I have ever had the pleasure of shooting!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Mifflin County)

I forgot to mention that in the Concealed Carry Handguns 2011 Buyers Guide of Pocket Pistols they rated the "Top 10 concealed cary guns in order of caliber"

The Taurus Judge Public Defender Polymer 45LC/410 was rated number one.

I'm not savvy enough to know how reliable this ranking may be nor do I know what criteria was used to evaluate. The other nine were:

Glock G27 Gen4 (40)
    Ruger LC9 (9MM)
    Kimber Solo (9MM)
    Boberg XR9-5 (9MM)
    Beretta PX4 Type F (9MM)
    Charter Arms (DAO) off duty (38 SPL)
    S&W Bodyguard (380)
    Karh P380 LCI (380)
    Sig Sauer p238 Extreme (380)

Hope this is helpful

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I forgot to mention that in the Concealed Carry Handguns 2011 Buyers Guide of Pocket Pistols they rated the "Top 10 concealed cary guns in order of caliber"

The Taurus Judge Public Defender Polymer 45LC/410 was rated number one.

I'm not savvy enough to know how reliable this ranking may be nor do I know what criteria was used to evaluate. The other nine were:

Glock G27 Gen4 (40)
    Ruger LC9 (9MM)
    Kimber Solo (9MM)
    Boberg XR9-5 (9MM)
    Beretta PX4 Type F (9MM)
    Charter Arms (DAO) off duty (38 SPL)
    S&W Bodyguard (380)
    Karh P380 LCI (380)
    Sig Sauer p238 Extreme (380)

Hope this is helpful
    From my personal experience and research I think that list may be a little off. I can not see a Charter arms revolver being listed but no S&W. I also don't think the Public Defender should be at the top of the list. JMO.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I have a 24/7 2nd gen 40 cal Taurus I'm pretty happy with I use it as my Home protection piece, its pretty reliable. I have a buddy that owns a PT92 that he
    is pretty with he brags about accuracy, design, fit and handling, the only bad thing is its having with FTF problem with some ammo. I tell him that is why i buy Berettas I have all you brag about and nearly 100% reliability. Nothing man made is 100% but Beretta and Glocks are close.
    Sigs and HKs are close, beretta and glock...are almost close to that.

(Blair County)

Ive had a few Taurus firearms, all have been 100% reliable, right now Id have a hard time buying one with Ruger SR pistols going for 400....and xds going for 450....

(Northampton County)

I've owned 5 Taurus guns, all functioned flawlessly and were a great value.

(Philadelphia County)

Seems to me like Taurus might be an up and coming firearms manufacturer

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
    Seems to me like Taurus might be an up and coming firearms manufacturer
    I agree 100% and let me explain why.
    Let's say your friend moved and you have not seen him or his child for a few years. You would notice how much he has grown right away.
    That is kind of what happened with me and guns. About 12 years ago I became interested in firearms. I read everything I could about them. At this time I recall reviews on Taurus being about 70% negative and 30% positive. I kind of put guns on the back burner for the last several years because of other commitments and such. I recently got back "into" guns again. Now I think the ratio is about 80% positive and 20% somewhat negative. I was suprised to see Taurus getting some serious love from some people.

(This is in respect to semi auto's, their revolvers had a decent reputation even back then).
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I agree 100% and let me explain why.
    Let's say your friend moved and you have not seen him or his child for a few years. You would notice how much he has grown right away.
    That is kind of what happened with me and guns. About 12 years ago I became interested in firearms. I read everything I could about them. At this time I recall reviews on Taurus being about 70% negative and 30% positive. I kind of put guns on the back burner for the last several years because of other commitments and such. I recently got back "into" guns again. Now I think the ratio is about 80% positive and 20% somewhat negative. I was suprised to see Taurus getting some serious love from some people.

(This is in respect to semi auto's, their revolvers had a decent reputation even back then).
    It was merely a matter of Taurus finally doing something about thier CS and QC. They have been building good weapons for some time, they just had some dumb asses putting them together and then letting them ship. Bad reputaion means a huge loss in market share and Taurus finally figured this out. In my opinion, they build two of the best speed shooting pistols going (24/7 G2 and the 24/7 Pro). JMHO
    Last edited by harold63; June 28th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Beaver County)

I've owned two Taurus guns and my brother has a 1911 by them. The 1911 is total crap. Period. The PT92 is fantastic. I had a Model 44 revolver and the front sight was canted and compared to S&W revolvers, the trigger sucked. I couldn't shoot it accurately for anything. The 1911 jams so often it's almost comical. No matter what kind of ammo we used, what kind of magazines, it didn't matter. We still have the 1911 only because it would be worth pennies if we sold it. I'd like to think that at some point, I'll be able to fix the problem for him though. The PT92 has never jammed or done anything but destroy what I aim it at. Very reliable, beautiful pistol. How does it compare to a Beretta? Can't really say. It depends on how much you like/need the rail and whether you prefer the frame or slide mounted safety/decocker. I don't use the rail for anything, I just like the look of it. Having said that, I would go with a Beretta 92 if I had to do it all over again simply because there is a Blackhawk SERPA for the Beretta that won't fit the Taurus copy. That decision has nothing to do with the reliability of either gun though, just that particular holster. I have a Bianchi fitted thumb break holster for the Taurus but I MUCH prefer the ease of draw and stability of the SERPA.

If you're going to buy a Taurus, just be careful which one you choose.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast