Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PMSC membership

(Allegheny County)

Default PMSC membership

I just moved to the moon township area. It seems that on this forum many of the members stand by PMSC. I would like to join a sportsman club somewhere. I know of the coraopolis one, but have read mixed reviews on it. I have also been to the nssa. I am just not sure about where to put my loyalty. Maybe i am putting to much thought into where i am going to join. Anyone that has some info either way on these clubs, please feel free to add your thoughts.

When i look at the website for the PMSC, the membership rules are changing. It also says i need 2 sponsors to join on the pdf. What is the best way of going about this? should i wait for awhile till the membership rules are worked out?

thanks for your help..

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: PMSC membership

Come to the monthly membership meeting the first Wednesday, and don't worry about the sponsors. There will be people there more than willing to sign for you.
    The activity of the mind is life. -Aristotle

(Allegheny County)

i will try to come. if i am stuck going to nebraska that week, i may have to put it off till the month after.

(Allegheny County)

i believe that there was always a requirement for having 2 sponsors for membership. the club kind of let it slide a little bit and lately some people have been demanding that new members be sponsored.

like steve said, just go to a membership meeting a little early and ask for 2 sponsors. if you want sponsors before that, i will sponsor you if you need it.

(and i used to be a member of the coraopolis and can say that pmsc is a much better club to join)

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: PMSC membership

As has been stated a number of times, don't worry about the sponsor thing...when I went to the membership meeting, there was a line of about 40 applicants that snaked through the kitchen, there were 4 members standing at the prep tables asking "Do you need sponsors?" at which point you hand them your app and they sign it. You say thanks and proceed to pay your fee.

No one was black balled and everyone got in.

The thing to consider about PMSC vs. other clubs is:

1) There is no wait to get in. In other words there is no membership waiting list.
    2) You are considered an adult and for the most part police your own shooting.
    3) There is no double-tap or rapid fire restrictions on the outdoor ranges
    4) The places to shoot are numerous and usually empty
    5) If you end up sharing a range, the person you are shooting with is usually very friendly, and if you express an interest is fairly likely to let you run their gun.
    6) There are MANY activities offered that are a blast to get into
    7) I heard a rumor that you can hunt there as well
    8) Membership is SUPER reasonable
    9) It is SUPER kid friendly
    10) Many active people on PAFOA are also members, so you will not have a problem getting someone to meet you there as a shooting buddy. (Including myself and I don't even know you)
    11) I have yet to meet a jack-ass.

You are not likely to get all that, or even part of that in ANY club in ANY state. Go to the meeting, pay the money and enjoy.

FD737-James
    It takes 40 muscles to frown, but only 4 to pull the trigger on a decent sniper rifle.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FD737 View Post
    Hi James, I am Chris, how are you doin?

(Westmoreland County)

New to the PAFOA forums and shooting in general, but have been reading lots of good things about the PMSC club.

Looks like the last posted PAFOA/PMSC group shoot was earlier this month - and I don't see anything scheduled before the next PMSC meeting on July 6th (first Wed of the month).

What are the chances that any current PMSC members on th PAFOA forums would be willing to give a tour/overview of the facilities in advance of the next meeting?

[Edit > several members from PMSC made offers for tours and ended up getting shown the place by FD737]

Regards,
    Steve
    Last edited by Norun6; June 26th, 2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: PMSC toured...thanks for the offers!

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: PMSC membership

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    Hi James, I am Chris, how are you doin?
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Would send rep if I could figure out how!!!
    It takes 40 muscles to frown, but only 4 to pull the trigger on a decent sniper rifle.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by FD737 View Post
    As has been stated a number of times, don't worry about the sponsor thing...when I went to the membership meeting, there was a line of about 40 applicants that snaked through the kitchen, there were 4 members standing at the prep tables asking "Do you need sponsors?" at which point you hand them your app and they sign it. You say thanks and proceed to pay your fee.

No one was black balled and everyone got in.

The thing to consider about PMSC vs. other clubs is:

1) There is no wait to get in. In other words there is no membership waiting list.
    2) You are considered an adult and for the most part police your own shooting.
    3) There is no double-tap or rapid fire restrictions on the outdoor ranges
    4) The places to shoot are numerous and usually empty
    5) If you end up sharing a range, the person you are shooting with is usually very friendly, and if you express an interest is fairly likely to let you run their gun.
    6) There are MANY activities offered that are a blast to get into
    7) I heard a rumor that you can hunt there as well
    8) Membership is SUPER reasonable
    9) It is SUPER kid friendly
    10) Many active people on PAFOA are also members, so you will not have a problem getting someone to meet you there as a shooting buddy. (Including myself and I don't even know you)

You are not likely to get all that, or even part of that in ANY club in ANY state. Go to the meeting, pay the money and enjoy.

FD737-James
    I just went on the PMSC website and you're right, membership costs are very affordable.

Maybe I will stop in at the August membership meeting....
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

great information guys. I will be sure to come to a meeting as soon as possible. i look forward to meeting and shooting with you all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast