Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Need help with an email

Hey guys thanks in advance for the advice. I was researching an event my wife and i were planning on attending in Sept. The event is a christian music festival held every year at a local fairground. I found this in the faq section.

"What is the policy on smoking/drugs/alcohol?
    No alcohol, smoking, illegal drugs, firearms, weapons, or any item that resembles a weapon or firearm, Paintball guns are only permitted in the paintball area, and to and from vehicles. Laser pointers are also prohibited at all stages and seminars. Items will be confiscated and will not be returned. Violators may be removed from the festival grounds without a refund. Any illegal activity will be reported to the proper authorities"

I would like to write an email to the event coordinators expressing my displeasure of there stance on legally carried firearms. Any input would be great. Or if someone has a rough draft of such a letter already typed up that would be awsome. Not trying to be lazy, but with my typing abillities this post took me about 15 min.

The high points as i see it are as follows

1 Respect their authority as event planners to establish the rules
    2 the legality of oc and cc with a license
    3 their inability to guarantee the safety of my family
    4 my family's safety is my responsibility

thanks again guys
    my work and family schedule sometimes prevents me from responding right away. Im not a troll check my history and join date this is a legitimate request, i will check back as soon as i can.
    I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member

Default Re: Need help with an email

I think you will not get very far. It is probably a requirement of their event insurance underwriter to prohibit firearms and other "dangerous" items.

(Delaware County)

Here's where I have an issue,,,"Items will be confiscated and will not be returned". They can ask me to leave, but they are not going to confiscate my sidearm. I can't see your letter having any effect on their policy.

I guess I wouldn't be attending this event, period.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Westmoreland County)

As was already posted, it is most likely an insurance underwriter/liability issue. However, I don't think the rule of confiscation is legit, unless you willingly signed a waiver/agreement to comply with such a ridiculous rule.

And who would agree to that? And what happens to the confiscated items?

I highly doubt that you sending an email will have any effect on them re-structuring their rules.
    Here is a link to another Christian music festival, starts on June 29 thru July 2

http://www.creationfest.com/ne

It is a pretty big event, my wife and I hope to attend sometime, but definitely can not make it this year.
    I just read thru their rules twice, and saw NO such policies in their rules.

I believe it is held there every year, something to think about. Billed as the largest in the nation.
    Last edited by Irwin Inhabitant; June 25th, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

Yeah a private party cannot confiscate your property without your consent, and the government can technically only do it after due process, although it has more or less exempted itself from the constitution.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Just keep your gun very well concealed and you'll have no worries. You most likely won't have need of it at a Christian music festival. But I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. You're right, your first responsibility is the protection of your family.
    God bless, and have a fun time!!!!

Tmygun:-)
    I am not a big fan of disrespecting the rules or polices of any entity if they are within the laws of their area. I think it can cause more truble than it is worth. For the most part I would just decide to not attend. Jmo and we each have our own.
    I would still compose, (or have someone help), an email to show your displeasure. It probably not help but if enough people send one you never know.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Westmoreland County)

My uneducated guess is that this is a policy imposed by the fairgrounds owners, for insurance purposes, not the concert promoters. The promoters probably are required to comply with the rules and policies of the fairground. Again, just a guess here.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Franklin County)

thanks everyone for there response, I realize 1 email will most likely not change the regulations, but someones has to let them know they are excluding people from attending the event. And to what gain? They could change the wording in the rules to Illegal firearms. They could even specifically ban OC, to ensure no one spots 1 that was carried to the event legally. I don't see the harm? But alas IANAL

I will work on an email and post it here for review

Irwin Inhabitant
    I have been to Creation Frestival many times, it is amazing!!!! Unless you dont like crowds I know 2 years ago, i checked in the mailer brochure they send previous attenders, and no firearms was lumped in with the illegal drugs. It was worded allot like the the rules for uprise fest that i copied in the op. However I to perused the rules online and did not see anything about firearms. Perhaps they changed? One can always hope!
    I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I am not a big fan of disrespecting the rules or polices of any entity if they are within the laws of their area. I think it can cause more truble than it is worth. For the most part I would just decide to not attend. Jmo and we each have our own.
    I would still compose, (or have someone help), an email to show your displeasure. It probably not help but if enough people send one you never know.
    Ever been to a mall?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here