Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question 1911 Commander-sized mainspring question

What's a good mainspring (poundage-wise) to replace a Commander-sized pistol spring? I like Wolff Springs, but I'm not sure what poundage to go with in the shorter slide - all my other 1911's were the full-size 5" variety.

Thanks!

(York County)

Default Re: 1911 Commander-sized mainspring question

I like 18lb in those pistols you might want to look at ISMI springs they have been around a long time and have been good springs.

EDR

Every day's a Saturday

Mainspring housing should be the same size as a full size 1911, the only difference is a shorter barrel, the Commander has a full size grip.

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    What's a good mainspring (poundage-wise) to replace a Commander-sized pistol spring? I like Wolff Springs, but I'm not sure what poundage to go with in the shorter slide - all my other 1911's were the full-size 5" variety.

Thanks!
    wolff from newtown square (delco) ?
    FJB

(Jefferson County)

Are you talking a the mainspring, which is in the grip? Or the recoil spring that is under the barrel?

If you mean the recoil spring under the barrel - 13lbs is the original spec. Most companies use 18lbs now. If you are going to be shooting heavy loads like +P's - you may want to consider going to a 19, 20, or 21lb - but you may have issues with lower pressure loads not cycling properly.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: 1911 Commander-sized mainspring question

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Are you talking a the mainspring, which is in the grip? Or the recoil spring that is under the barrel?
    Bad terminology on my part - I do mean the recoil spring, which always seemed the "MAIN" spring in a 1911 to me!

If you mean the recoil spring under the barrel - 13lbs is the original spec. Most companies use 18lbs now. If you are going to be shooting heavy loads like +P's - you may want to consider going to a 19, 20, or 21lb - but you may have issues with lower pressure loads not cycling properly.
    I replaced the original with a Wolff 16lb after 3k rounds. Still feels a little 'flabby' to me. I think I'll go to a Wolff 18.5lb spring.

She's loaded with factory HP's most of the time - the lightest load I might fire through it is Blazer aluminum for practice though. If I have any FTE's on the range, I'll chalk those up accordingly.