Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Recently moved to PA

I just recently moved to PA from NY. I do have a NYS Pistol Permit and I was told that PA recognizes NYs permit, but I've also checked some websites out and have found information stating that PA doesn't recognize NYS pistol permit. I don't have a CC permit for NY and another website stated that PA just doesn't recognize the concealed carry permits from NY. I'm a little confused.

Does PA recognize NY's permit? Should I just get a PA permit?

Also, in NY if you don't have a pistol permit you cannot shoot a pistol, unless you're 14-20 years old and you're shooting competition. Can someone else like my wife, who doesn't have a permit shoot my pistol in PA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Recently moved to PA

Quote Originally Posted by Burf321 View Post
    I don't have a CC permit for NY and another website stated that PA just doesn't recognize the concealed carry permits from NY. I'm a little confused.
    It's your first taste of freedom, being a little confused is expected. PA doesn't recognize a NY carry permit, probably in large part because they don't recognize our License to Carry Firearms. You also don't need a permit just to own a handgun in PA.

Should I just get a PA permit?
    Yes. Other than a few listed exemptions (like travel DIRECTLY to/from a range or gunshop) you need a LTCF just to have a handgun in a vehicle.

Also, in NY if you don't have a pistol permit you cannot shoot a pistol, unless you're 14-20 years old and you're shooting competition. Can someone else like my wife, who doesn't have a permit shoot my pistol in PA?

Thanks.
    As long as the person isn't prohibited from owning/possessing firearms, yes. However, this is PA, not NY. In the vast majority of the state, a LTCF is simple to get, a quick process, and at only $20 reasonably priced. She may as well get one, too.

(York County)

I just recently moved to PA from NY. I do have a NYS Pistol Permit and I was told that PA recognizes NYs permit, but I've also checked some websites out and have found information stating that PA doesn't recognize NYS pistol permit. I don't have a CC permit for NY and another website stated that PA just doesn't recognize the concealed carry permits from NY. I'm a little confused.

Does PA recognize NY's permit? Should I just get a PA permit? Just get your Pa pistol permit (Called LTCF Liscense To Carry Firearms in PA). Obtaining it will be a lot easier than in NY.

Also, in NY if you don't have a pistol permit you cannot shoot a pistol, unless you're 14-20 years old and you're shooting competition. Can someone else like my wife, who doesn't have a permit shoot my pistol in PA? In Pa as long as they are not a convicted felon anyone can shoot your pistol. You don't need a permit, liscense ect to shoot the gun. You only need the LTCF to conceal the handgun. You can carry openly without a permit unless you go to a city of the first class than you need your LTCF. There is no magazine capacity limit or ban on hollowpoints. You can carry in a bar or any resteraunt as long as there is no signage posted. Signs do not carry the weight of the law in PA

Thanks.
    Last edited by S&WM&P40; June 24th, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

PA does not recognize your NY permit because they don't recognize ours (or anybody else's). Except that you can carry in your vehicle with a license/permit from any other state (is your NY permit still valid??).

Head over to your sheriff's office and apply for your LTCF as soon as you have a PA drivers license. I think Lancaster county may issue on the spot -- if not, they have up to 45 days to issue. Google your county's sheriff -- the application and info is probably on the web site.

There's no gun registration here, but I think you may need to "de-register" it in NY. Without a license/permit you can only transport a handgun (unloaded and not accessible) under specific circumstances, like directly to/from a range or gun shop. Since you will be bringing it (legally) from another state, it won't even be in the state police's "registry-that's-not-really-a-registry." Which is a good thing. You'll hear a lot more about that if you hang around here.

Only someone with a LTCF can borrow a handgun, but at the range you can allow anyone who isn't legally prohibited from possessing guns (felons, etc.) to shoot it. I suggest that your wife get an LTCF as well, even if she won't carry, since it also gets around our odd restrictions about transporting handguns. It's $20 well spent.
    Last edited by donm; June 24th, 2011 at 09:14 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Wink Re: Recently moved to PA

Does PA recognize NY's permit? Should I just get a PA permit? Just get your Pa pistol permit. Obtaining it will be a lot easier than in NY.
    This. I moved here from IN at the end of '02. I'd JUST renewed my DL and CCW in Ft. Wayne before moving, and didn't feel like messing with it... until the end of '06... when I needed to BUY more guns. Time to change!!!

Besides, you wanna start enjoying REAL firearms for a change! PA DL and LTCF lets you dig right into firearms freedom-y goodness at your next local gunshow, local gun shop, etc.!

(Jefferson County)

PA only recognizes your NY permit in vehicles. Also, once you moved to PA your NY permit is no longer valid. ...it is NY's law on that matter.

You should get a PA LTCF. They are cheap and easy to get.

In NY, a permit is needed to possess or even touch a handgun. ...not in PA. No license/permit is needed to own, possess, or touch a handgun, or openly carry afoot in PA. You only need the LTCF to carry a handgun concealed, or carry a handgun in a vehicle(openly or conceal, loaded or unloaded) - except when going to a very few locations.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 24th, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Thanks everyone for the information, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No license/permit is needed to own, possess, or touch a handgun, or openly carry afoot in PA.
    Except, of course, in Philadelphia where you need a LTCF (or any other states' that PA recognizes) to openly carry

Although Philly says another states' is no good there now
    Last edited by HiredGoon; June 24th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Except, of course, in Philadelphia where you need a LTCF to openly carry
    Of course. Also during a declared state of emergency and in a school zone.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    There's no gun registration here, but I think you may need to "de-register" it in NY.
    Hah! That's the best laugh I've had all day. If you're in Pennsylvania, what's New York going to do to you if you don't "de-register" it? Send you a letter in the mail asking you to cross the frontier into New York so they can arrest you for violating one of their many, many laws?

You New York permit/license/whatever also expires the moment you are no longer a New York resident, and they insist that you mail in the license. Of course, no longer being in New York, the option is yours.

Welcome to Pennsylvania. America starts here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast