Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Potential Transplant to Poconos Area

Hello all,

I am a current auxiliary (volunteer) officer in NY. My wife and I are considering a move to the Poconos area and I was wondering if anyone knows of any volunteer departments in this part of the state. From my research I found several volunteer organizations in the Western and Central part of the State (Allegheny coming up the most often), but if I do move from NY I will stay in the Eastern part of the State, most likely the Poconos area, because I intend on keeping my job in NY and commuting to NYC.

Any info on any organizations out there is very much appreciated!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Potential Transplant to Poconos Area

Intelfeeds what county are you looking to live in ? I live in Monroe, 10 miles north of Stroudsburg.

I have never seen any Auxilary police out here , mostly the people out here like to be left alone and not policed a lot like in New York, but the EMT/ambulance and Fire is always looking for volunteers, i do not volunteer but i do give money.

Up where i live i think i saw the Sheriff drove by once and that was about 2 years ago, and i have never seen PSP or Strouds regional police in my area, really no need for a lot of policing..

(Monroe County)

Nope never heard of auxilery police around here. Depending on training sherriffs and constables hire part timers and fire police and fireman are almost all volenteer.

Think long and hard about the move, it isn't what ir appears as far as commute. Because of the economy many have found it not practical to live here.

Read the rules and study them before you move.

1. Let’s get this straight: it’s called a ‘dirt road.’ No matter how slow you drive, you’re going to get dust on your Lexus. Drive it or get out of the way.

2. They are cattle. They’re live steaks or walking milk bottles. That’s why they smell funny to you, get over it. Don’t like it? I-80 goes east and west, I-81 goes north and south. Pick one.

3. Pull your droopy pants up, you look like an idiot.

4. Turn your cap right, your head isn’t crooked.

5. So you have a $60,000 car, we’re impressed. We have $150,000 corn pickers and hay balers that are driven only 3 weeks a year.

6. Every person in rural Pennsylvania waves. We think of it as

being friendly. Try to understand the concept.

7. If that cell phone rings while an 8-point buck and three does are coming in, we will shoot it out of your hand. You better hope you don’t have it up to your ear at the time.

8. Yeah, we eat scrapple, pot pie, funnel cakes, haluskie, pierogies, shoo-fly pie, apple butter, chow-chow, and schnitz un knepp. Don’t like the sound of them or the names freak you out because you never saw a “Bon Appetit” article on them? Great, more for us!

9. The ‘opener’ refers to the first day of deer season. It’s a religious holiday held on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

10. We open doors for women. That is applied to all women, regardless of age.

11. No, there’s no ‘vegetarian special’ on the menu. Order steak, or you can order the chef’s salad and pick off the 2 pounds of ham & turkey.

12. When we fill out a table, there are three main dishes: meats (includes fish), vegetables, and breads. We use four spices: salt, pepper, hot sauce, and Heinz ketchup. Oh, yeah...we don’t care what you folks in Jersey call that stuff you eat. It’s not real chili.

13. You bring ‘coke’ into my house, it better be brown, wet and served over ice.

14. You bring ‘Mary Jane’ into my house, she better be cute, know how to shoot, and have long hair.

15. College and high school football are as important here as the Steelers and Eagles and a lot more fun to watch.

16. Yeah, we have golf courses. But don’t hit the water hazards—-it spooks the fish.

17. Colleges? We have them all over. We have state universities, community colleges, and vo-techs. They come outta’ there with an education plus a love for God and Country. They still wave at everybody when they come home for the holidays.

18. We have a whole ton of folks who have been in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard - PA has one of the highest percentages of veterans in the entire country. So don’t mess with us. If you do, you will get whipped by the best.

19. Turn down that blasted car stereo! That thumpity-thump-thump stuff is not music anyway. We don’t want to hear it anymore than we want to see your boxers. Refer back to # 3.

20. Four inches isn’t a blizzard—it’s a flurry. Drive like you got some sense, and don’t take all our bread, milk and toilet paper from the grocery stores. You’re not in Alaska. Worst case you may have to live a whole day without your croissants. The pickups with snow plows will have you out the next day.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by intelfeeds View Post
    Hello all,

I am a current auxiliary (volunteer) officer in NY. My wife and I are considering a move to the Poconos area and I was wondering if anyone knows of any volunteer departments in this part of the state. From my research I found several volunteer organizations in the Western and Central part of the State (Allegheny coming up the most often), but if I do move from NY I will stay in the Eastern part of the State, most likely the Poconos area, because I intend on keeping my job in NY and commuting to NYC.

Any info on any organizations out there is very much appreciated!
    I know many people who did this and moved to the Stroudsburg area but then communted to NYC. Unfortunately the school district is terrible now as no one is watching the kids. The traffic is also bad every day. I would suggest traveling the route first and see how long it will take you.

(Monroe County)

There will be days, winter season, construction season and accident days where you could potentially spend 5+ hours in your car.

Yep, rent rent rent first then assimilate.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBmine View Post
    I know many people who did this and moved to the Stroudsburg area but then communted to NYC. Unfortunately the school district is terrible now as no one is watching the kids. The traffic is also bad every day. I would suggest traveling the route first and see how long it will take you.

Where did that info come from? The area schools aren't what they used to be since the great migration but they aren't bad. In fact I would choose them over many schools in the Lehigh Valley and even the suburban Philly area.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Nope never heard of auxilery police around here. Depending on training sherriffs and constables hire part timers and fire police and fireman are almost all volenteer.

Think long and hard about the move, it isn't what ir appears as far as commute. Because of the economy many have found it not practical to live here.

snip...
    OMFG was that funny,

OP, like Exbiker said, I've never heard of auxiliary police around here but you never know with this economy and all. I'd call around to some of the local forces and see what they say. Also, check out the areas first. There are some places around here that I wouldn't recommend to my worse enemy.

Oh and stay away from gated communities, just trust me.

(Monroe County)

One more thing. Since you're a LEO from NYC don't be surprised when you see someone Openly Carrying a firearm. We do it a lot around this State. Remember are old moto...'America starts here', it's true and we're proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post

1. Let’s get this straight: it’s called a ‘dirt road.’ No matter how slow you drive, you’re going to get dust on your Lexus. Drive it or get out of the way.

2. They are cattle. They’re live steaks or walking milk bottles. That’s why they smell funny to you, get over it. Don’t like it? I-80 goes east and west, I-81 goes north and south. Pick one.

3. Pull your droopy pants up, you look like an idiot.

4. Turn your cap right, your head isn’t crooked.

5. So you have a $60,000 car, we’re impressed. We have $150,000 corn pickers and hay balers that are driven only 3 weeks a year.

6. Every person in rural Pennsylvania waves. We think of it as

being friendly. Try to understand the concept.

7. If that cell phone rings while an 8-point buck and three does are coming in, we will shoot it out of your hand. You better hope you don’t have it up to your ear at the time.

8. Yeah, we eat scrapple, pot pie, funnel cakes, haluskie, pierogies, shoo-fly pie, apple butter, chow-chow, and schnitz un knepp. Don’t like the sound of them or the names freak you out because you never saw a “Bon Appetit” article on them? Great, more for us!

9. The ‘opener’ refers to the first day of deer season. It’s a religious holiday held on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

10. We open doors for women. That is applied to all women, regardless of age.

11. No, there’s no ‘vegetarian special’ on the menu. Order steak, or you can order the chef’s salad and pick off the 2 pounds of ham & turkey.

12. When we fill out a table, there are three main dishes: meats (includes fish), vegetables, and breads. We use four spices: salt, pepper, hot sauce, and Heinz ketchup. Oh, yeah...we don’t care what you folks in Jersey call that stuff you eat. It’s not real chili.

13. You bring ‘coke’ into my house, it better be brown, wet and served over ice.

14. You bring ‘Mary Jane’ into my house, she better be cute, know how to shoot, and have long hair.

15. College and high school football are as important here as the Steelers and Eagles and a lot more fun to watch.

16. Yeah, we have golf courses. But don’t hit the water hazards—-it spooks the fish.

17. Colleges? We have them all over. We have state universities, community colleges, and vo-techs. They come outta’ there with an education plus a love for God and Country. They still wave at everybody when they come home for the holidays.

18. We have a whole ton of folks who have been in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard - PA has one of the highest percentages of veterans in the entire country. So don’t mess with us. If you do, you will get whipped by the best.

19. Turn down that blasted car stereo! That thumpity-thump-thump stuff is not music anyway. We don’t want to hear it anymore than we want to see your boxers. Refer back to # 3.

20. Four inches isn’t a blizzard—it’s a flurry. Drive like you got some sense, and don’t take all our bread, milk and toilet paper from the grocery stores. You’re not in Alaska. Worst case you may have to live a whole day without your croissants. The pickups with snow plows will have you out the next day.
    Now that there is just GD funny!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Now that there is just GD funny!
    Yes...and it is all true, pretty much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast