Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Handgun transfer Question

Hi Everyone,

I have a interesting question. I received a collection of my fathers firearms from his estate. I know that transfer from parent to child is exempt from PA transfer policy. My question pertains to one specific handgun. My father aquired this firearm legally while living in another state.(I do not believe a background check for needed) When he moved back to PA he brought the gun with him so there was no background check from through PA. I want to carry the gun but am concerned about legal issues that may arise if the gun is checked against my name or if I am ever forced to use the firearm for self defense. Is there anyway to get the gun in my name or should I just keep it in the safe?
    Thanks for reading
    Fred

(York County)

Default Re: Handgun transfer Question

If you really want to do this, all that is required is that you find a FFL (your favorite gun shop for example) and ask them to transfer the gun to you. There are many that will do this for a fee generally ranging from a low of about $20 to as much as $50 or even higher, so shop around.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by f15david View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have a interesting question. I received a collection of my fathers firearms from his estate. I know that transfer from parent to child is exempt from PA transfer policy. My question pertains to one specific handgun. My father aquired this firearm legally while living in another state.(I do not believe a background check for needed) When he moved back to PA he brought the gun with him so there was no background check from through PA. I want to carry the gun but am concerned about legal issues that may arise if the gun is checked against my name or if I am ever forced to use the firearm for self defense. Is there anyway to get the gun in my name or should I just keep it in the safe?
    Thanks for reading
    Fred
    Curmudgeon correctly answered your basic question.

You made a fairly common mistake however with respect to how that transfer is occurring legally . You did not receive the firearms from your father but instead as bequested from your father's estate - a totally separate legal entity apart from your father the person. As such that inheritance transfer enjoyed the exemption of 18 PA CSA 6115(b)(2) for estate distributions as well as a Federal exemption if an inheritance was interstate (18 USC 922(a)(5)(A) and (a)(3)(A)). For estate distributions FFL involvement is not required and the transfer can be made directly and legally between the executor and the beneficiary (assuming the beneficiary is not prohibited from possessing firearms).

Estates do not qualify under the oft mis-cited 18 Pa CSA 6111(c) because they have no familial relationship with the beneficiaries.
    Last edited by tl_3237; June 23rd, 2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added '(a)' to federal cites
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post

You made a fairly common mistake however with respect to how that transfer is occurring legally . You did not receive the firearms from your father but instead as bequested from your father's estate - a totally separate legal entity apart from your father the person. As such that inheritance transfer enjoyed the exemption of 18 PA CSA 6115(b)(2) for estate distributions as well as a Federal exemption if an inheritance was interstate (18 USC 922(5)(A) and (3)(A)). For estate distributions FFL involvement is not required and the transfer can be made directly and legally between the executor and the beneficiary (assuming the beneficiary is not prohibited from possessing firearms).

Estates do not qualify under the oft mis-cited 18 Pa CSA 6111(c) because they have no familial relationship with the beneficiaries.
    Rep button not working; could 3 or 4 other members give him some positive rep?

My advice (and I didn't always think this, but Jon Mirowitz makes a compelling case) is for every estate executor or administrator to do all firearm transfers through an FFL. This protects the estate, which is the PRIMARY obligation of the estate representative, and has the bonus of "putting guns into the recipients names", which helps avoid unwarranted seizures.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Done.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post

You made a fairly common mistake however with respect to how that transfer is occurring legally . You did not receive the firearms from your father but instead as bequested from your father's estate - a totally separate legal entity apart from your father the person. As such that inheritance transfer enjoyed the exemption of 18 PA CSA 6115(b)(2) for estate distributions as well as a Federal exemption if an inheritance was interstate (18 USC 922(a)(5)(A) and (a)(3)(A)). For estate distributions FFL involvement is not required and the transfer can be made directly and legally between the executor and the beneficiary (assuming the beneficiary is not prohibited from possessing firearms).

Im glad you posted that. I did not realize that when I took ownership of the guns. I did my research but didnt come across estate distribuitons. Not to mention the ffl I was dealing with informed me that parent to child transfer is exept. Sort of misleading.

Either way, it was mentioned that I can just go to an ffl to have the gun transfered to me? It doesnt need to be transfered for someone else to me?

Thanks for all the input
    Fred

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Done as well
    The Lord Bless You

(Dauphin County)

I know I would not register a gun if I already legally owned it. Is risk of unwarranted seizure the only downside?
    Last edited by Thomasconnor; June 24th, 2011 at 02:10 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasconnor View Post
    I know I would not register a gun if I already legally owned it. Is risk of unwarranted seizure the only downside?
    Technically he didn't already legally own the guns. He received them as part of his fathers estate, his father didn't directly give them to him.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by f15david View Post
    Im glad you posted that. I did not realize that when I took ownership of the guns. I did my research but didnt come across estate distribuitons. Not to mention the ffl I was dealing with informed me that parent to child transfer is exept. Sort of misleading.

Either way, it was mentioned that I can just go to an ffl to have the gun transfered to me? It doesnt need to be transfered for someone else to me?

Thanks for all the input
    Fred

There is no legal requirement that it be transferred for another actual being when doing self-to-self recordings. You would be both.

With sheriff transfers, the sheriff is the person signing away of the gun when he wasn't the actual person owning it.

What really matters is the person it is going to.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 24th, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast