Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1911 problem need advises is it me or these pistols?

1911 problem need advises is it me or these pistols? I've been training to try to shoot IPDA entry level, I've been experimenting with the way they teach to hold and fire the 1911. They say to maintain a hold or rest your thumb on the slide/thumb safety which seem reasonable, but none of my pistols fire reliable with me holding the gun that way. I would think it was me, but 4 pistols doing the same thing, now the Kimber and Ruger seem to fire more often, then the Colt and SAM in this mode. Thumb under the thumb saftey they all fire reliable.

Whats the catch? Now I can build the grip safety up with tape and they fire. But that's a unreliable fix, I do have big hands. Is this normal is it the GUns or Me? They all have pronounce beaver tails and grip safeties.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: 1911 problem need advises is it me or these pistols?

If you can shoot better holding the gun some other way, go back to doing that.

(Lawrence County)

What works for one may not work for all... Find what works for you, and work more on speed and accuracy...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Beaver County)

I try to shoot my 1911 with my weak hand thumb resting on the thumb safety but it is unnatural as all hell. As I've never bumped the safety up while shooting with any other grip, I'm not sure that's entirely necessary. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    I try to shoot my 1911 with my weak hand thumb resting on the thumb safety but it is unnatural as all hell. As I've never bumped the safety up while shooting with any other grip, I'm not sure that's entirely necessary. /shrug
    456 - The grip that they recommend is the weak hand thumb pointing toward the barrel and the strong hand thumb resting on the thumb safety if you are right handed. Try that and get back with me just to tested it.

Thanks all for your comments, I like the hold I just can't master the fine points of where the thumb should go. And is this normal are there guns build up in this area, it looked just like mines.

This is a 'Combat' or 'High Thumbs' grip. I think it might help to keep your grip safety engaged while shooting.

Here is a video that should help. Just remember that the combat grip is one of several that are known to work well. So take your pick.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/104239...humbs_forward/
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Northampton County)

Under recoil, your thumb is riding against the slide, slowing it down - retarding its full movement. A common problem with that hold - especially with new to that method shooters.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Perry County)

I believe that the OPs problem is that his hands form a hollow palm when he grips the frame. I have this same problem with 1911s, a different beaver tail might solve the problem. What I have done is to switch to a CZ 85.

(Bucks County)

It is possible to adjust the grip safety so that less pressure is needed to reliably allow the trigger to be pulled and the gun to fire. If you are not familiar with the way the internals of a 1911 work, take the pistol to a reliable gunsmith and describe your issue. They should be able to do the job easily and cheaply. I have heard of some game guys, taping, pinning, or otherwise disabling the grip safety on their competition guns. I wouldn't recommend it, but some have done it.

The "high thumb grip" gives you more side to side balance (where your POI is not favoring one side of the target or the other), and by having your left hand thumb (if you are right handed) asit on the slide lock/release, or somewhere just under the slide, you will have much less "muzzle jitters". It takes more wrist flexibility to do this, but I'll take that over my muzzle jittering around while I am trying to shoot. If your muzzle is 3/100ths of an inch off of the X, and your gun is 8" long, your actual POI on the target will be 1.67" inch off of the X, this at 15yds. At 30yds, it is almost 3.5", and that is only allowing for the 3/100ths of an inch. The high thumb grip, to me, helps diminish a lot of this "muzzle jitter". It is the difference between one large hole at seven yards and a group of holes you have to measure with a ruler.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast