Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Union County)

Default My observations about the two types of gun shops

I was thinking about the different types of gunshops that I partronize and why. I came to the conclusion that there are basically two types. One is the BOUTIQUE and the other is the MOM & POP/BUBBA/Redneck(I mean that in a good way as I consider myself as a Ridge Runner). etc.
    I came to the conclusion that in the last few years I made a full transition to the latter one. The Boutique establishments really got on my nerves. Here are the differences.

I. Boutique shop.
    1. Clean and immaculate. Everything has a barcode and cases are cleaned with windex. Prices are on computerized tags and attached to the triggerguard.

2. If you try to negotiate a price, they look at you like you're Bill Clinton arriving at a sorority convention.

3. If you try to special order something they refer you to a guy who's only there 1 hour on Monday between 10am and 11am.

4. If you ask for a cup of coffee, they refer you to a vending machine attached to a state of the art range facility.

5. If you ask to see the latest Ruger Vaquero single action revolver in 45LC, they refer you to a Glock in .45GAP due to incompetent staff. Granted, I like both guns, but please hire someone who actually graduated high school and knows the difference between a polymer frame and a steel one.

6. If you want to use the restroom, they give you a multilevel retinal key for password access and then look at you funny if you come out later than 1 minute.

7. Ammunition is grossly overpriced unless is the tradition cartridge. A box of 10mm is $30. If you ask for a box of .22 Hornet, they look at you like you collect insects.

whereas!!!!!!!

II. The Bubba shop is described as the following.

1. When you walk in, its like Cheers, everyone knows your name.

2. Price tags are scribbled in pencil and NEGOTIABLE!!!

3. There is a balance of long guns and handguns, in both DAO, SA, and everything in between.

4. The owner knows you by name and offers layaway.

5. The owner gives you a FREE cup of coffee when you walk in.

6. There is taxadermy on the wall instead of simulated turkey bullseye that you find on the boutique shops.

7. The owners and staff are wearing NRA and John Birch Society T shirts and not IPSC and bullseye match tshirts. ( I happen to love both, but you get the drift).

8. There is a range out back, but it consists of tin cans and heavy steel barrels for test firing.

9. The owner open carries in a belt holster instead of inside the pocket.

10. going back to #1, everybody knows your name.

So the choice for me is obvious.

grizz

(York County)

Default Re: My observations about the two types of gun shops

a friend from work took me to a small gun shop. its only open in the evenings 3 times a week. it off the beaten path and is not advertised. we got there early and waited. before he opened at 5pm. there were 8 truck outside waiting. his little run down shop was dusty and cramped but he was extremely friendly, knew everyone including my name (on my shirt) he had a good selection and would order any gun and the price was very good from what others said. i bought a pistol on consignment and he only charged $5. for the NICS and paperwork. its out of the way for me but when I'm up that way i will stop in.
    the store is called "Hit or miss" in Dauphin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    "Hit or miss" in Dauphin.

Can we get an address?

ahhhh the search function, had to edit

Quote Originally Posted by The Drew View Post
    HIT OR MISS GUN SHOP 158-C HOFFMAN ROAD
    HALIFAX PA, 17032 717-896-8348

This guy has awesome prices... Not much stock, but he can order just about anything you want. Shop is run from a barn... A bit scary, but worth it for the prices.

I guy I work with bought a CZ75BD police with tritium sights for $319, he consistently is twenty of thirty dollars cheaper than competition, If you can be patient, then this is the place to go.

More can be found here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/newreply....wreply&p=10614
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; November 13th, 2006 at 11:23 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    a friend from work took me to a small gun shop. its only open in the evenings 3 times a week. it off the beaten path and is not advertised. we got there early and waited. before he opened at 5pm. there were 8 truck outside waiting. his little run down shop was dusty and cramped but he was extremely friendly, knew everyone including my name (on my shirt) he had a good selection and would order any gun and the price was very good from what others said. i bought a pistol on consignment and he only charged $5. for the NICS and paperwork. its out of the way for me but when I'm up that way i will stop in.
    the store is called "Hit or miss" in Dauphin.
    I personally haven't been there, but guys I work with have bought several guns from the guy. His order in pricing is amazing. If you can be OK with the backwoods atmosphere, it is a great shop. For me though it is a bit far (almost an hour drive) I usually frequent a shop here in town for convenience and to keep local guys in business.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLYBEAR View Post
    II. The Bubba shop is described as the following.

1. When you walk in, its like Cheers, everyone knows your name.

2. Price tags are scribbled in pencil and NEGOTIABLE!!!

3. There is a balance of long guns and handguns, in both DAO, SA, and everything in between.

4. The owner knows you by name and offers layaway.

5. The owner gives you a FREE cup of coffee when you walk in.

6. There is taxadermy on the wall instead of simulated turkey bullseye that you find on the boutique shops.

7. The owners and staff are wearing NRA and John Birch Society T shirts and not IPSC and bullseye match tshirts. ( I happen to love both, but you get the drift).

8. There is a range out back, but it consists of tin cans and heavy steel barrels for test firing.

9. The owner open carries in a belt holster instead of inside the pocket.

10. going back to #1, everybody knows your name.

So the choice for me is obvious.

grizz
    Well, I guess where I go to is a "Semi-Bubba" shop. Although technically it is a sporting goods store, (they sell athletic equipment/shoes for the schools) the big draw for most folks is the gun counters/racks. Here is how they rate on the above listings:

1. Yep. When I go in, they DEFINITELY know my name!

2. Although the price tags are written in ink, there IS usually some "wiggle room", and the prices are DEFINITELY lower than the competition, and WELL below MSRP.

3. Definitely. And if they don't have it, they'll do their best to get it for you.

4. Definitely. Layaway is how I've purchased the majority of my guns.

5. No coffe machine OR vending machines.

6. LOTS of taxidermy on the walls...pheasant, turkey, deer, fox, etc.

7. If not on the shirts, then on the hats...

8. No range, becasue of the location.

9. More likely the manager and staff. Owner isn't there that much.

10. Going back to 10, definitely. Even the owner's DOGS know me! (Does that mean I'm there a lot?)
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Blair County)

Unfortunately, my "Cheers" shop is in North Carolina.

When you've spent enough money there to send the manager's two kids to Ivy League schools (well, at least their first two years), you get some "professional courtesy."

I can email an order something that he has to acquire a company who he has never done business with, for an item that is made by elves in Lower Slobovia, and he will get it and ship it to me overseas with the words "Pay us when you get around to it."

Now, I never take advantage of his credit system, but it's nice to have available.

Also, I would always wear their T-shirt when I was shooting matches, so there is a picture on the wall of me shooting a match in PA, wearing one of their T-shirts.
    Last edited by DPB; November 15th, 2006 at 04:27 PM.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Lehigh County)

Guess I'm weird, I like the boutique shops. But then I'm a nerd and barcode things for a living. I'm never gonna haggle on a posted price; either i'm willing to pay it or I'm not. I'll stop at Starbucks for coffee (none within an hour when I moved here, now three on my way to work!). I'm awful with names so i just call everybody Sir or Ma'am, kind of hate it when people get overly familiar and call m buddy or dude or partner (are we rounding up cattle togather later?). I don't mind eductaed advice but I'll pass on the hour long lecture on why if it's not a 1911 in .45 ACP carried on the hip, you might as well be hitting them with a purse - been there, seen that, own the DVD. The hassle with special orders pisses me off, nobody ever stocks enough old milsurp for my tastes.
    John: How come I'm not afraid?
    D'Argo: Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty.
    John: I love hanging with you, man.

(Berks County)

Bubba shop all the way for me. People are more friendly, more willing to negotiate a fair price, and usually have some great finds.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

I shop them all and go for the best price. I will admit that I do have a thing for the "Bubba" shops, but if I can get a deal elsewhere. One of my favs was a real "Bubba" but has moved into new digs. Same great attitude though.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Chester County)

Talking about Bubba shops,last year we were in Tenesse for our annual web sites Paratrooper Gathering(3 days of no kids just like minded people drinking and eating)We have a member that was instrumental in designing the 6.8 for Barrett Firearms.We got to play with everything they own for a whole day including their .50cal Anyways you would not have beleive their private range and gun shop...just a little 14+70 trailer in the middle of NO-WHERE! Very friendly and awesome selections to buy!