Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Isn't this BLATANTLY ILLEGAL of arms shop?

This is a long post, but it's interesting. Please read and comment. I really would appreciate hearing anything anyone has to say.

I recently made a purchase of a handgun at a local place. As always, the rude people working at that time were practically throwing the forms to be filled out in my face. They were just totally rushing me through everything, filling some stuff out FOR me. PICS, flying colors, everything filled out (supposedly). They said everything was good to go. But, on the SP 4-113, they neglected to have me sign and date Section C. - I ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF THE FIREARM AND A SUMMARY OF THE UNIFORM FIREARMS ACT WHICH INCLUDES A SAFETY BROCHURE

Well, i believe, by law, with that section (or any other section) incomplete, the purchase cannot happen. Oh, and sure enough, they neglected to supply me a safety brochure and summary of the uniform firearms act.

Almost a week passed before I took the gun out to the range.. put a mag through it.. went to have a look at the manual (keep manual, receipt copy, and SP 4-113 form in the box). I unfolded that SP 4-113 just out of curiosity (hadn't looked at it yet) and saw that missing signature. I called the shop and asked them if the authorities contacted them yet. The girl said no and that "one of the guys" forged my signature for my convenience and assured me that it looked alright. Then she said to just sign my copy and everything will be fine. Problem.. my copy is the 2nd copy and you DO NOT alter it. Another problem.. forging my signature on the state police's copy of a handgun sales record? They didn't even call and let me know about it (not that they could have legally signed for me and had me pencil whip my copy.

I'm still fuming.. Unbelievable. I have not yet reported them to the police or BATF. I went and paid a visit so as to allow them to clean up their own mess. I told them they should let me return it. Give me my money and then look forward to never seeing me again. Four of them argued with me at once telling me that the state police would have told them to do that and that they do "that kind of stuff" all the time. They refused to take it back and said to bring the SP 4-113 form in and they'd just re-do it. I don't think you can just "re-do" legitimately without the authorities questioning it. I'm a young man, they probably think I don't know any better, but I assume they were just trying to get me out of there with "legal" documentation. I stressed to them how important it is to be thorough on those things and there's no excuse for not calling me about it in the first place! forging my sig!

I want my money back or they better make it up to one way or another. I am giving them a chance to take initiative on their mess and not just reporting them and insuring charges are pressed for their forgery on legal doc. BUT, I need some opinions. I am having the hardest time getting legal advice. I just want to hear what anyone has to say.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Isn't this BLATANTLY ILLEGAL of arms shop?

Yep. That was illegal.

Not sure what I'd do though considering that PSP form is used illegally by the State Police too.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Um, WOW. Name of the shop?

ETA: Actually, might not wanna disclose that yet. I don't know, I'm not a lawyer.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; June 22nd, 2011 at 02:18 PM.

(Delaware County)

ME?

I'd cover my ass and not worry about the shops...

I'd write a certified letter and follow up with a phone call to several people. State police being one and the ATF being another

(Centre County)

This definitely has been stressing me. I'm about maxed out and on the verge of taking the route of reporting them. I just want to explore as many avenues as I can. If anything, I'd rather them essentially turn themselves in. I am kind of isolated and would like to avoid burning a bridge over this in case I need to go back there.

I'm wondering what happens when I report them? The gun surely would have to be taken away, don't you think? (since it was an illegal transaction) Time is an issue on getting this resolved because this gun is missing out on protecting me in the wild.

(Lancaster County)

You are probably over thinking the situation a bit. Don't buy a gun from at shop again and move along.

(Lehigh County)

Exactly who's side would you be waiting for the authorities to bring the hammer down on? Report it. If they are forging one, they are forging others. We have a hard enough time with guns/authority figures as it is. Be prepared to have your property seized, though.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Montgomery County)

Bad, bad situation they put you in. Just accepting the Firearm may have been a crime. Contact a lawyer.

(Monroe County)

I would take the gun back, get your money and go elsewhere, those guys are just asking to be shut down and when they start finding the falsified paperwork you are going to get some visits from people you don't really want to speak with.

Take a tape recorder with you when you go and record everything, make sure they know you are recording them. If its all okay then they shouldn't care that you are recording them saying "Its okay, we forged it"

I would also request a copy of the paperwork if they still have it
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I would take the gun back, get your money and go elsewhere, those guys are just asking to be shut down and when they start finding the falsified paperwork you are going to get some visits from people you don't really want to speak with.

Take a tape recorder with you when you go and record everything, make sure they know you are recording them. If its all okay then they shouldn't care that you are recording them saying "Its okay, we forged it"

I would also request a copy of the paperwork if they still have it
    I don't think that would end well...at all.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast