Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shoulder holster recommendations for wife

So here's my dilemma,
    My wife wants to start carrying but cannot use a IWB holster due to shoulder damage from a car accident and doesn't want to change her whole wardrobe for it. She's settled on a shoulder holster but since they are expensive we cannot just buy a few and see what she likes.
    Her pistol is a walther pps m2 9mm
    Any recommendations on were she might be able to try some on in North eastern pa?
    And what companies do you recommend?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Shoulder holster recommendations for wife

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    So here's my dilemma,
    My wife wants to start carrying but cannot use a IWB holster due to shoulder damage from a car accident and doesn't want to change her whole wardrobe for it. She's settled on a shoulder holster but since they are expensive we cannot just buy a few and see what she likes.
    Her pistol is a walther pps m2 9mm
    Any recommendations on were she might be able to try some on in North eastern pa?
    And what companies do you recommend?
    I am assuming right-handed, reverse all comments if she's a leftie.

You say she cannot use IWB. I assume you mean at 3-ish o'clock. Have you considered cross-draw, somewhere between 9 and 11? It's roughly the same motion to draw and would generally be covered by the same garments that would cover a shoulder rig.

Another point (not knowing either you or her): a shoulder rig can be difficult for well-endowed women whose endowments are vertically located in the same plane as the gun. Bluntly, large breasts can get in the way if the gun is horizontal at breast height. Reaching *over* the breasts can work if the muzzle is canted down and the holster rides high; or reaching under with the muzzle high and the holster low. Does not apply to Olive Oyl.

Consider tucking the (UNLOADED!) gun into her bra band for a while around the house. If that works out, maybe try a cheap eBay/Amazon universal nylon rig to be sure before moving up to a good unit.

If you get this far, I've been happy with my Miami Classic II for my 1911.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I am assuming right-handed, reverse all comments if she's a leftie.

You say she cannot use IWB. I assume you mean at 3-ish o'clock. Have you considered cross-draw, somewhere between 9 and 11? It's roughly the same motion to draw and would generally be covered by the same garments that would cover a shoulder rig.

Another point (not knowing either you or her): a shoulder rig can be difficult for well-endowed women whose endowments are vertically located in the same plane as the gun. Bluntly, large breasts can get in the way if the gun is horizontal at breast height. Reaching *over* the breasts can work if the muzzle is canted down and the holster rides high; or reaching under with the muzzle high and the holster low. Does not apply to Olive Oyl.

Consider tucking the (UNLOADED!) gun into her bra band for a while around the house. If that works out, maybe try a cheap eBay/Amazon universal nylon rig to be sure before moving up to a good unit.

If you get this far, I've been happy with my Miami Classic II for my 1911.
    Miami Classic is a great recommendation. With that said, I don't think they have one for the Walther PPS. You may want to check out the following places for a rig for her, if that's what she decides on:

http://www.carlwalther.com/holsters.htm (Around $200)

https://mitchrosen.com/products/hols...lder-holsters/ (Much more expensive; around $385)

If she's open to off-body carry, my wife carries in a holster purse by Coronado Leather:

https://coronadoleather.com/collecti...oulder-bag-c50 (It's around $300, but my wife's had it since 2011 and it's still going strong. Normally she's had to buy a new purse every year due to it falling apart, so in the long run she's saving.)

I understand there's a bit of risk associated with off-body carry, but my wife keeps an iron grip on her strap at all times, and she's super aware of her surroundings. Most cut-purses would rather target a woman whose face is buried in her phone or who otherwise isn't paying attention.

As for trying any holsters out... Hmm... A Cabela's or Bass Pro may be able to get something in for her to try, but other than that, I'm not sure. I don't know NE PA too well. Sorry!

(Chester County)

I've tried quite a few shoulder holsters. The Miami Classic/Jackass style are impossible for me to wear and I'm no Dolly Parton by any means. The only one that appears to be something I might be able to wear comfortably is the Bianchi X15. They make the X15 for the PPS. The reason I say it appears that it may work is the grip appears to sit well below the breast and not poke into the breast when the body turns.

I've been holding back on buying another shoulder holster after the flurry of buy and send back I went through with Optics Planet, Barsony Holster and Amazon. The horizontal holster no matter what height you set it at pokes right into the breast when you move around and it difficult to reach around the breast to get a hold on the pistol. I may be tall but the rest of me is just average size.

There are also the Alaskan style rigs that strap across the front of the chest. I don't know about them either. I always end up carrying strong side at 3 o'clock after everything is said and done. I've given the belly band some thought too but haven't tried one of them either.

Here's some shops in NE PA https://www.google.com/search?q=gun%...=1512675199380

Women's belly band holsters.

www.deneadams.com

Last edited by JenniferG; December 7th, 2017 at 03:35 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Delaware County)

Forgot to mention:

Flashbang - https://www.flashbangstore.com/

(Chester County)

Also, one thing I've completely ruled out is the holsters that attach to the bra and directly point at the breast while being carried. There is so much fail there I don't even know where to begin.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ster/23640143/
    Last edited by JenniferG; December 7th, 2017 at 04:57 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Also, one thing I've completely ruled out is the holsters that attach to the bra and directly point at the breast while being carried. There is so much fail there I don't even know where to begin.
    You mean the auto-mastectomy isn't a good idea?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    You mean the auto-mastectomy isn't a good idea?
    Not to mention the muzzle is also directly pointing at anyone standing or sitting right next to you. That is one of the other reasons for not liking the horizontal shoulder holster. The muzzle is always pointing in the direction of whomever is standing behind you. Those belly band ones with the pouch designed for a woman's figure seem to be pretty good solution but it will involve buying, shipping, trying on and maybe shipping back if it doesn't work out. I also believe the Alaskan style may work for women that don't have large (D to DD) or extra large (larger than DD) breasts. I'd say that somewhere around B to C are average size.

(Delaware County)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ster/23640143/
    The woman in the link was fiddling with a loaded gun, and shot herself in the eye. There's some fail there. Adjust your $#!% with an EMPTY gun.

That said, a properly constructed bra holster that covers the trigger (which the Flashbang does) should be no more threatening to the carrier than appendix carry, which points at the femoral artery and/or the man-bits.

Mrs.K carries (or used to*) in a Flashbang with her Shield 9mm with no concerns.

I'm not built for appendix carry. I carry IWB between 3 and 3:30, so I don't have a dog in this fight. I am just presenting my thoughts and experience(s).

YMMV

* We haven't spoken about her carry since she moved out 2+ years ago, so...

(Montgomery County)

I've tried quite a few shoulder holsters. The Miami Classic/Jackass style are impossible for me to wear and I'm no Dolly Parton by any means. The only one that appears to be something I might be able to wear comfortably is the Bianchi X15. They make the X15 for the PPS. The reason I say it appears that it may work is the grip appears to sit well below the breast and not poke into the breast when the body turns.

I've been holding back on buying another shoulder holster after the flurry of buy and send back I went through with Optics Planet, Barsony Holster and Amazon. The horizontal holster no matter what height you set it at pokes right into the breast when you move around and it difficult to reach around the breast to get a hold on the pistol. I may be tall but the rest of me is just average size.

There are also the Alaskan style rigs that strap across the front of the chest. I don't know about them either. I always end up carrying strong side at 3 o'clock after everything is said and done. I've given the belly band some thought too but haven't tried one of them either.

Here's some shops in NE PA https://www.google.com/search?q=gun%...=1512675199380

Women's belly band holsters.

www.deneadams.com

Something similar to this is the Pistol Wear holster which I use for running

www.pistolwear.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast