Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Lower Reciever Legal Questions

I am currently hunting down parts to complete an AR build. I have done some research and realized I am too young to buy stripped lowers legally as I am 20 years of age. I was aiming to buy a spikes zombie stripped lower and a parts kit, the upper and furniture are not a problem so what would be my options in getting this rifle assembled legally?

thanks,
    LTD

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Lower Reciever Legal Questions

I'm no lawyer...but, as far as I know, you can legally purchase firearms starting at 18 years of age in PA. The lower on an AR, stripped or complete, is the "firearm", you shouldn't have any issue obtaining one at 20, unless I'm completely missing something or I've misunderstood the law for the past 18 years.

Per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1 (Possession of firearm by minor), the minimum age to possess a firearm is 18 with two exceptions:

The minor is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian, or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's parent or legal guardian and involved in lawful activity.
    The minor is lawfully involved in hunting or trapping activities.

A stripped lower is not treated like a "rifle or shotgun". An 18 year old can buy a complete rifle from a dealer, but he can't buy a handgun or stripped lower or any other receiver that is neither a "rifle or shotgun" as defined by statute.

A parent can buy him the lower, or he can buy an assembled lower with buttstock attached.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    A stripped lower is not treated like a "rifle or shotgun". An 18 year old can buy a complete rifle from a dealer, but he can't buy a handgun or stripped lower or any other receiver that is neither a "rifle or shotgun" as defined by statute.

A parent can buy him the lower, or he can buy an assembled lower with buttstock attached.
    I just learned something. I'd no idea they were treated differently. Thanks!