Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default I'm a Horrible Shot

Ok there I said it. I couldn't hit a 10 inch target at 7 yards if my life depended on it. Just got back into shooting, shot a lot of .22 when I was a kid. I want to be a better shot with my my hand and rifle i bought. Right now I want to focus on the handgun. Seems like I always shoot left of the target. I have about 400 rounds under my belt with this handgun and have little improvement over my first time shooting. Turns out to i'm right handed and left eye dominant which might be messing me up. What i'm asking for if anyone knows a good read or video i can watch that shows me the ABCs of shooting the right way?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: I'm a Horrible Shot

What about taking a NRA Basic Pistol Class at a local range?

That way you will get hands on experience which IMO would be better then reading a book or watching a some video.

Edit: You can find a course here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

There are a bunch listed in Philadelphia.
    Last edited by bcpistolshooter; June 21st, 2011 at 06:22 PM.

(Pike County)

Fahrenheit, I live/operate in Philly vicinity and if you want then we can do one on one NRA First Steps of Basic Pistol down at the shooting range where I work.
    Je suis déplorable

This is why God gave us Beta mags. Quantity has a quality all its own...

As for the shooting skills, I believe that the main problem is that shooting paper targets lacks the necessary instant feedback. You couldn't learn to ice skate if you could only see where your feet were every couple of minutes. You could never learn to drive if there was a delay of even a few seconds between turning the wheel and observing the response. So pointing a gun down range, firing a few shots, then using a scope or binoculars to see the tiny little holes is less than ideal.

I'm a big fan of shooting blocks of ice. Immediate feedback, no cleanup required. Just need a place that allows it. Which is the hard part.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    This is why God gave us Beta mags. Quantity has a quality all its own...

As for the shooting skills, I believe that the main problem is that shooting paper targets lacks the necessary instant feedback. You couldn't learn to ice skate if you could only see where your feet were every couple of minutes. You could never learn to drive if there was a delay of even a few seconds between turning the wheel and observing the response. So pointing a gun down range, firing a few shots, then using a scope or binoculars to see the tiny little holes is less than ideal.

I'm a big fan of shooting blocks of ice. Immediate feedback, no cleanup required. Just need a place that allows it. Which is the hard part.
    Birchwood Casey Shoot N C/Big Burst targets work okay if you are within a few yards.

Tannerite Targets are great also but like the blocks of ice good luck finding a range that will let you use them.

Take the money that you would spend on ammo that would be wasted without good results and use that money to spend some 1 on 1 time with a good firearms instructor who can diagnose your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Ok there I said it. I couldn't hit a 10 inch target at 7 yards if my life depended on it. Just got back into shooting, shot a lot of .22 when I was a kid. I want to be a better shot with my my hand and rifle i bought. Right now I want to focus on the handgun. Seems like I always shoot left of the target. I have about 400 rounds under my belt with this handgun and have little improvement over my first time shooting. Turns out to i'm right handed and left eye dominant which might be messing me up. What i'm asking for if anyone knows a good read or video i can watch that shows me the ABCs of shooting the right way?
    For a right handed shooter, hitting left can be a few different factors but the two main ones I would recommend checking out: jerking/slapping of the trigger and/or too much of your index finger in the trigger guard (only the pad of your finger should be on the trigger. If you're first knuckle of the finger is on the trigger its too far in).

Practice dry firing. Put a sticker up on the wall or aim at a small mark and concentrate on grip, breathing and a slow deliberate press of the trigger. If after the gun breaks you see the sight picture move, you will know that you are still jerking/using too much finger. Its free to practice!

Heres a recent thread on the same issue, except low left:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...-low-left.html

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Shoot me a PM. I'll spend a hour or two with you that'll get you started on the right path.

No substitute for a quality class, but I'm local and if you're motivated to learn, I'm happy to help.

(Washington County)

Thats a great offer.. Definitely take Synergy up on his offer.. I guarantee withing 100 rounds or so, you will feel like a different shooter... no substitute for one on one training..!!

Also, I agree with GL.. targets can be a little disheartening at first, becasue everyone equates bullseyes with good shooting, and when you hit wide, you feel discouraged.

I like reactive targets, and most ranges have them nowadays. you will generally shoot a metal disk or a man shaped popper that will react when hit giving you an instant feeling of accomplishment..

Later after your accuracy improves and your trigger control and grip are correct, you will be able to use paper targets to gauge things like shotplacement, combat accuracy (wider groups withing a 5-8 inch area, usually equated with center mass), and consistent group size.

There are a lot of training schools and organizations out there, but starting with Synergy and then looking locally with places like Fire Institute and a couple others whose names escape me, will go even further into tactics and mindset, etc. if I am not mistaken, Jim (Synergy) has a training group as well.. so you could easily continue with him for the foreseeable future.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Shoot me a PM. I'll spend a hour or two with you that'll get you started on the right path.

No substitute for a quality class, but I'm local and if you're motivated to learn, I'm happy to help.
    Last edited by dmcdonnell; June 28th, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Beaver County)

I used to be AWFUL with a pistol. AWFUL! Here are some things that I've learned that helped me become a better pistol shooter . . . Recoil control is muscle memory. Your grip on the weapon has very little effect on the recoil and if you deathgrip it, it will affect your trigger pull and your accuracy will go to shit. Try doing a dry fire drill with a snap cap to work on your trigger pull. Pick a target (front sight crystal clear, target should be kind of fuzzy) and try to keep your sights fixed on it all the way through the trigger pull. If you come off target while pulling the trigger, you'll need to work on smoothing it out. I'm left eye dominant but right handed too and I just drop my cheek onto my right shoulder so I can line up the sights with my left eye. I shoot rifles and shotguns lefty though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast