Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Discoloration underneath my Sig P229

I had reported on another forum (Sig Talk) about discolorization on the bottom of my slide.

One of the members stated that "the cause of the discoloration is due to how the slide was supported when the Nitron finish was applied. They are supported from the inside so that the application of the finish would be even on the outside. Very common question. Since the slide is stainless, there is a good deal of natural protection. No need for concern."

I called Sig this morning to find out about this. I just got off the phone with Sig customer service a little while ago. NOT the experience that I thought I was gonna get.

I called and spoke to a woman, she stated the same thing that Reliable stated, that's fine I can accept that, but to hear that this is "normal" was un-accpetable to me. Sigs are not cheap, and to find out that this is "normal" is not right, IMO.

I tried to explain to the lady that with what we pay for this guns, that the finish she be applied to the whole slide. I explained that my duty Sig, is not like this. I was told that the finish to the slide is older and not as good as the new finish their using.

I asked but why is the finished applied to the whole slide in the older Sig and they said becuase of the process that they use. While explaining to her that I thought this was not a good idea and that it should be applied thoroughly, she stated that this is the way it is. As I tried to make my appointment, CLICK....dial tone..recording..The call has been disconnected, please try your call again. WTF, she just hung up on me.

I called back and this time spoke to a man. I explained what just happened and at this time I WAS not a happy camper. He apologized and stated that he did not think that the rep was "ballsy" enough to just hang up on someone. I explained the situation and he also told me that this was normal and that there was nothing to worry about. I told him again that this should not be normal and he went off on a tangent about Achilles and some other junk. I stated that I could go out and buy a Glock or other lesser priced gun and they all are evenly finished. He stated that I could not compare the finish from lower priced guns to the Sigs and I told him that at lest the other gun's slides would be thoroughly and evenly finished. He did not want to hear that. I also had asked about possibly getting a free mag for the Sig since I could not find anyone in the area that would honor a "LE" discount (I called one company about this and they sent me 2 free mags) and he stated that that, no, they are not in the business of sending free mags just because I was LE. I can deal with that, but how he worded it and the attitude I received was just horrible.

I can admit, once I am pissed off, I can get a little nasty, but the attitude that I got from both reps has just pushed me over the boiling point. I will not buy one of their products again (at least for now, until I calm down, I really do like Sigs though ). I will just send the gun to Robar and get it finished by them in the future.

By far, this was probably the worst experience I have had with ANY firearms company that I have dealt. I used to be a customer service rep years ago, before I got into the LE field and this is NOT the way to treat a customer.

AG
    Last edited by xx AG xx; June 21st, 2011 at 01:05 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Discoloration underneath my Sig P229

My wife and I have 3 newer ones with their Nitron finish. All 3 have bare marks on the inside of the slide from the hangers they use to support the slide during the process. Sadly, this is considered normal for their current manufacturing/coating methods. All our older SIGs that are either nickeled, k-koted, or parkerized have no such bare spots. For the price of new SIGs I do agree the fit/finish could be a lot better in many cases. Our solution is to go old-school SIG and have the slides refinished by other sources such as Robar, etc. On a side note though, their current Nitron finish is much more durable and rust resistant than almost all of their previous offerings.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by DBZ220 View Post
    My wife and I have 3 newer ones with their Nitron finish. All 3 have bare marks on the inside of the slide from the hangers they use to support the slide during the process. Sadly, this is considered normal for their current manufacturing/coating methods. All our older SIGs that are either nickeled, k-koted, or parkerized have no such bare spots. For the price of new SIGs I do agree the fit/finish could be a lot better in many cases. Our solution is to go old-school SIG and have the slides refinished by other sources such as Robar, etc. On a side note though, their current Nitron finish is much more durable and rust resistant than almost all of their previous offerings.
    Yea, I understand that now, but when I pulled apart the slide yesterdy and saw that, I was like "WTF!!!!!"

I carry the same model on duty and that one does not have the discoloring issues, so imagine my suprise when I found that on my personal Sig.

I was just amazed by the lack of customer service that I received. They did not want t hear anything else, they just wanted to get their point across and did not want to be bothered. The guy i spoke to tried over talking me and when I tried to offer a re-buttal to one of his points, he just kept talking and would not let me get a word in. Totally un-professional, IMO.

AG

(Allegheny County)

I agree. One of my previous duty weapons was an old P229, probably made in 1999-2001 give or take. Very nice weapon. I purchased a new P229 end of last year and the fit/finish differences are very noticeable between the two vintages.
    The last several years, SIG seems more and more concerned with their bottom line and making as much money as possible, quality control be damned in the process. Sad since their pistols are pretty much my preferred sidearm. Just more reason to keep an eye out for nice older SIGs. Their overall quality has been somewhat hit or miss since late 2005 some say, starting with the out sourcing of small parts to Pakistan, Brazil, and a couple other countries, supposedly they are getting back on their game though if you follow rumors on other SIG-specific forums.
    My wife for example, picked up a P239 in .40 a couple months ago and aside from the bare spot inside the slide, the thing is top-notch.

(Montgomery County)

Sig's CS and quality has gone into the shitter since Ron Cohen took over as CEO in 2004.

Sig is more concerned with landing LE contracts and mass producing their products than with making the quality product that they built their reputation on back in the early years in the US.

Quality has taken a back seat to tails, rails, ridiculous laser etching, and making their silly special edition guns.

It's really very sad.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

My 229 has the bare spot on the underside of the slide, but my 220 doesn't. I've had the 220 for 3 or 4 years & bought the 229 about 6 months after the 220.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lehigh County)

Apparently, I hit a nerve with a certain person over at the Sig Talk forums....

http://www.sigtalk.net/index.php?/to...the-sig-slide/

I didnt know that posting my customer service experience would provoke a "congenial natured" personal attack .

WOW!!!!

AG

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by xx AG xx View Post
    Apparently, I hit a nerve with a certain person over at the Sig Talk forums....

http://www.sigtalk.net/index.php?/to...the-sig-slide/

I didnt know that posting my customer service experience would provoke a "congenial natured" personal attack .

WOW!!!!

AG
    Oh my God what a douche-nozzle!!! (Him, not you.)

I quote:
    I'm pretty sure it was not picnic for them, either. Sig customer service reps are not people who sit in India and file their nails while you talk. If I worked at a quality firearms manufacturer and someone called me to tell me that my company - a reputable company that makes fine firearms - was doing something wrong, I'd not give them the time of day, either.
    Last edited by ByblosHex; June 21st, 2011 at 06:44 PM.

(Fayette County)

My Sigs dont have this blemish either.
    I would like to see a Pic of what this looks like for when I buy another one.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    My Sigs dont have this blemish either.
    I would like to see a Pic of what this looks like for when I buy another one.

No problem, I will post the pics in the morning.

AG

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast