Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blind Hunting

(Montgomery County)

Default Blind Hunting

Had a question guys and gals...Do you prefer ground blinds or tree stands?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Blind Hunting

Depends. I don't have a fear of heights, I think I'm more claustrophobic. When I was younger my father and I hunted on a private farm, and the farmer allowed us to make our own tree stands. Needless to say my early years were spent hunting out of what most would call an friggin sweet tree house. Those days are gone and I find myself on public land most of the time. I've tried climbers, and ladder stands but can't get comfortable with those tiny platforms. I clam up if I have to stand up. If I can't take a few steps in each direction I get all weird. So now it's a blind on the ground.

(Monroe County)

Depends 100% on where you are hunting, the area, the trees... etc

I personally love hang on stands, but only put them in areas where I am sure they aren't going to get stolen. Its just insanely convenient to walk out, climb a ladder and you are hunting within 3 mins of getting there.

You can also put a hang on stand in trees that you would never be able to get a climber in and often in areas where a blind isn't going to work.

A blind is awesome in the same aspect of "out and hunting in no time", but its assuming that you can leave it up all the time. For my taste they are a little to easy to walk away and deer will be spooked by a new blind showing up in the middle of a field. Its also ideal for kids who can't sit still :P

Also great not being up in the air if you need to drop drawers and empty the bowels... it is NOT pleasant climbing down from a tree if you are holding in a flaming explosion of hells fury that does NOT want to held back

The security of a climber is fantastic, I never worry if I'm going to walk out and my stand will be missing, my Summit is also extremely comfortable for all day hunts and big enough that I can stand up and move around on. the negatives? there are a TON of trees I can't climb and its not silent when I'm taking it apart to climb the tree, going out for an hour - 1 1/2 hour hunt is not going to happen when its going to take me 15 mins to get up the tree and then I'm climbing down in the dark... it absolutely will happen if I'm climbing a ladder or sitting in a blind.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Did anyone else come in here expecting a thread about hunting for blind people? I got a little nervous for a second...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Did anyone else come in here expecting a thread about hunting for blind people? I got a little nervous for a second...
    actually saw an AMAZING hunt on one of the outdoor channels about a year ago. The kid (maybe 20?) was completely blind but was an avid archer, he was shooting a bow with the sight put on backwards, his dad would stand behind him and coach him on where his pin was, he took a very nice speed goat if I remember correctly... just amazing to see someone overcome such an immense obstacle.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lancaster County)

A few more comments on Ground Blinds:

I would much rather be in a one when it is raining. I built a rain fly for mine, since they are not really waterproof for long.

Very cold or windy days are much more tolerable in a ground blind.

The main downsides are deer will spot it as something out of place if setup out in the open.

Scent is much more of an issue then when using a tree stand.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by coat4gun View Post
    A few more comments on Ground Blinds:

I would much rather be in a one when it is raining. I built a rain fly for mine, since they are not really waterproof for long.

Very cold or windy days are much more tolerable in a ground blind.

The main downsides are deer will spot it as something out of place if setup out in the open.

Scent is much more of an issue then when using a tree stand.
    Rain isn't an issue for me... I don't hunt in it :P for me it makes tracking way to difficult... but I agree with the scent aspect.

I'm actually seriously considering just building a blind out of PVC and some netting that will be permenant... if it vanishes I'm out less then 50 bucks...

check this out:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Avery...h-All+Products

on a regular PVC frame, should be cheap and provide some good cover

(Somerset County)

Guess I'm an old throwback. I find a convenient tree and lean against it. When I get bored in that spot, I move on to another convenient tree.

Trees don't get stolen, deer expect them to be there, and I can lean on small ones too. Downed ones make great seats.

Dale

(Clinton County)

I love my hang on stands and also have 3 ladder stands, and 1 climber. I have only occassionaly used a blind they are nice to hunt in out of the rain and wind. Given a choice it is up in the air most of the time. The comfort of some of the modern stands allows all day stays.

(Lehigh County)

For deer I prefer a hang on tree stand unless it's raining, extremely windy or winter archery. I have killed quite a few deer from the blind but they were all in winter when it was a lot more comfortable in the blind.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast