Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Groundhog Hunting (Do I need a License?)

yes, and I got caught for no blaze orange hat and an expired ( by 2 days) license while hunting ground hogs.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Allegheny County)

Wink Re: Groundhog Hunting (Do I need a License?)

Yes, you need a license. From the U.N.

(Allegheny County)

Related question. I hunted in PA as a young man back in the 1970's. I've been invited several times to go hunting by friends recently, but I've passed because I didn't want to have the go through HTE to get a license. I've recently read on the PA Hunting license Application the following:

I present the following as evidence that I have completed the required education course or have held a prior hunting license; or I am currently serving in the Armed Forces or Coast Guard or have been discharged under honorable conditions within 6 months of application.
    Education Training Certificate or Military Papers____________________________________________ _____ Date_______________________
    A Prior Hunting License from __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    (State or Nation) (Year) (License number)
    I am unable to produce a prior hunting or furtakers license but certify that I did hold a lawfully obtained hunting or furtakers license issued by:_______________________________________________ ______

I don't have any old licenses laying around after 40 some years. What are they asking for in the 3rd option? What are my chances for getting a license without a HTE?
    Last edited by Hawk; June 22nd, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Washington County)

It is illegal to obtain a license without a HTE Class. There is also independent study classes look at www.pgc.state.pa.us under education.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Related question. I hunted in PA as a young man back in the 1970's. I've been invited several times to go hunting by friends recently, but I've passed because I didn't want to have the go through HTE to get a license. I've recently read on the PA Hunting license Application the following:

I present the following as evidence that I have completed the required education course or have held a prior hunting license; or I am currently serving in the Armed Forces or Coast Guard or have been discharged under honorable conditions within 6 months of application.
    Education Training Certificate or Military Papers____________________________________________ _____ Date_______________________
    A Prior Hunting License from __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    (State or Nation) (Year) (License number)
    I am unable to produce a prior hunting or furtakers license but certify that I did hold a lawfully obtained hunting or furtakers license issued by:_______________________________________________ ______

I don't have any old licenses laying around after 40 some years. What are they asking for in the 3rd option? What are my chances for getting a license without a HTE?
    If you had a hunting license in the past you do not need to take the class, all you need to do is sign to verify that fact. When I went to get my license at Dick's sporting goods, the application just asked if I had taken the class or held a hunting license in the past. I had taken the class, but i did not have to verify anything or have an old hunting license number .

Quote Originally Posted by Triegle View Post
    That wasn't attitude... It was a straight up & to the point answer....

Obviously you did NOT check the PGC site very well because it isn't hard to find... It is also all over your hunting book you get when you buy the license.
    Sorry it wasn't a straight up answer. A straight up answer would have been yes you do. Ans yes it was given with attitude. Just as your message was.

But that isn't what this is about. I got the info and now I have the license. Further more I recieved no book with my purchase of the license from the
    K-Mart I went to.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    Sorry it wasn't a straight up answer. A straight up answer would have been yes you do. Ans yes it was given with attitude. Just as your message was.

But that isn't what this is about. I got the info and now I have the license. Further more I recieved no book with my purchase of the license from the
    K-Mart I went to.

Listen scooter I didnt give you attitude. NOW I am giving you the 'tude. Get some time on the board...

As to the book issue. Maybe they ran out, but you should have gotten one. I would call back and advise them that they forgot your book, and make sure you get one. It is full of important information.

PS: Whistle Pig hunting is fun as hell!
    si vis pacem, para bellum

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post

K-Mart I went to.
    What is with all the n00bs whining about the 'attitude?' I mean every other person with a handful of posts will ask a question about something and bitch about the answer they get because of the 'attitude'? We're all grownups here. If you can't find something that appears to be in plain sight to someone else who finds it they might give you a hard time. So what? Maybe next time you'll look harder first...

Anyway...

You definitely should have received a book with all of the rules and regulations from the PA Game Commission. Certain rules change from year to year so I'd suggest reading through the book each year so you're up to date on any rules/laws that change.

I'd call Kmart and ask about the book. The employee might not have known to give you one. I've been hunting since I was 12 and get a new book with my license every year.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Butler County)

hmmm, I didnt know that you needed a license either. I been killing groundhog like a lunatic. Its all on private property, and I never set out to "hunt" them, Its always a spur of the moment thing, like when I see one, I get the gun....dead. Then sit and watch the buzzards rip it apart

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMonkey View Post
    hmmm, I didnt know that you needed a license either. I been killing groundhog like a lunatic. Its all on private property, and I never set out to "hunt" them, Its always a spur of the moment thing, like when I see one, I get the gun....dead. Then sit and watch the buzzards rip it apart
    The woodticks will love you. They also like to "consfiscate" things like guns and automobiles. Pay the $25, it's cheaper. Remember, this is Pennsylvania, and it's all about the money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast