Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Doe Tags 22 days and counting

I'm here to wake up the crew. ReconLdr,Smithwesson,Soup, Sandcut, Dredly,Keystoneman 85 (steelers suck),and everyones favorite archer Archer007er. Doe tags in 22 days anyone scouting or are we waiting for cooler weather. I have 2 kids hunting under the age of 15 so treestands will have to be dealt with but I do have a little time yet but you know how it is in 5c I have 3 1/2 months till opening day of archery it flies by.
    Last edited by A-5; June 20th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Doe Tags 22 days and counting

I'm in fishing mode right now. I just picked up a new boat and have been spending a lot of my time getting that ready. I'm hoping to float the river for some geese/duck come fall. I will be picking up my hunting license this coming weekend.

I've been seeing a lot of deer on my way to and from work, however, a lot of those have been hit on the side of the road.

Saw a Buck with what looked like a nice set of antlers starting over by the club I belong too. He was running over one of the berms, luckily no one was on the range at the time.

As for scouting...I tend to do most of my scouting while hunting in Sept and Oct due to my work schedule. I'm down in 5c and I figure I have time. I don't do archery (yet) so I usually start scouting after my last vacation of the summer which would be the first weekend of Sept. which is when I start Dove/Goose. I'm looking forward to small game this year more so than before. I'm waiting to see if my Beagle knows what a rabbit is while in the field not just on afternoon walks

(Monroe County)

yup just found out they opened some new game lands right on the side of Wind Gap so I'm going to be scouting that pretty hard in the next few weeks. Have one or 2 quick "get out and hunt for an evening" spots that I need to scout and put hang ons in as well.

going to order my license today online, should be here in plenty of time to get the doe tags sent in...

anyone scouting or hunt around Bushkill Park in 5c south of Wind Gap? I scouted it a bit last year and didn't see much but a ton of horse shit and its a huge area... pm me if you have any suggestions on where to go / look

I'd like to start scouting every week at least but we'll see what happens
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    I have 2 kids hunting under the age of 15 so treestands will have to be dealt with but I do have a little time yet but you know how it is in 5c I have 3 1/2 months till opening day of archery it flies by.
    don't underestimate the power of a well placed blind... especially when there are young ones involved who can't sit still for more then 5 minutes...

shoot me a PM I have a lead on a great area for ya to go
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Berks County)

No scouting yet, should probably get on that soon. It's just so hard when the weathers this nice. Spent last night floating around the FIL's pool, drinking a few beers, and watching a doe feed her two fawns. Not sure if that counts?

(Somerset County)

I was groundhog hunting over the weekend (same area I hunt deer). Saw 2 does (one was a piebald) and 2 bucks. That's how I do most of my scouting, plus some trips 'around the block' with the spotlight.

Dale

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    I'm here to wake up the crew. ReconLdr,Smithwesson,Soup, Sandcut, Dredly,Keystoneman 85 (steelers suck),and everyones favorite archer Archer007er. Doe tags in 22 days anyone scouting or are we waiting for cooler weather. I have 2 kids hunting under the age of 15 so treestands will have to be dealt with but I do have a little time yet but you know how it is in 5c I have 3 1/2 months till opening day of archery it flies by.
    Thanks for the reminder. My buddy at work clued me in on the new changes re: antlerless license submission last week. I was thinking about this today when I finally got an hour and a half to shoot a little at the SGL 127 range. Fortunately, I had my license along.

RE: scouting. No scouting (or damn near anything else) yet. Work has been retardedly busy this summer. I'm planning on resting on my laurels for scouting this year anyway. I got permission to hunt deer on a small farm outside of Hamlin last year and I intend to try to exploit this fact this year. I'm going to stop by there sometime soon and ask the farmer if I can put up a ladder stand. I doubt he'll have any issue with it. We get along pretty well. I stopped by this past spring and dropped off two pints of my home-made maple syrup and generally surprised the hell out of him.

I was also thinking of heading up one evening in the near future w/ the coyote call and see what I can call in. There are few things nicer than a soft June evening, sitting in a field and watching all the wildlife.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lehigh County)

I talked about scouting I think scouting is over rated per say looking for deer or deer sign. I do look for acorns thats about it, the deer change their pattern from early Sept. to middle October, then the rut hits and they can be so unpredictable. I hunt basically the same stands from the start of archery to the gun season, it can be slow early but once the people start pushing them in late Nov. they could come from any direction. The most important thing is take notes where the food is early, take notes on where they are when the big boomers come out, and hunt accordingly. I have permanent stands on properties but always have a climber in case there is deer using a area that is not covered with your permanent stands. Thats how we do it we get the brush hog out in late Aug. and the deer usually cross the paths we create. When you hunt 100 or so acres with 8 or so stands up on the property scouting is a mere lets sit here make sure the wind is right and maybe the good Lord will be with us tonight. It also helps I have hunted the same property for 18 years so the scouting we have done in the past sticks with you after awhile.
    Last edited by A-5; June 20th, 2011 at 11:15 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Just had my license mailed to me yesterday.

I'm having a finger cut off next Mon and a ring finger pinned to the palm so I should have plenty of time to PT this hand before rifle season.

Not sure if I'll go archery. I'd like to get back into it as it was some of the best time I ever had. Getting old and weak. Could barely break a 62 lb pull a few years ago when I stopped. Maybe I'll sell a gun and get a decent crossbow.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Just had my license mailed to me yesterday.

I'm having a finger cut off next Mon and a ring finger pinned to the palm so I should have plenty of time to PT this hand before rifle season.

Not sure if I'll go archery. I'd like to get back into it as it was some of the best time I ever had. Getting old and weak. Could barely break a 62 lb pull a few years ago when I stopped. Maybe I'll sell a gun and get a decent crossbow.

with the bows they have today there is no need to shoot over 40 - 45 pounds. 35 is min by law... shoot a writst release and you'll be fine. good luck with your surgery!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast