Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LC9

(Mifflin County)

Default LC9

Earlier this month I purchased a Gen 4 Glock 19. Great gun. I'm thinking that for summer carry the Ruger LC9, in a pocket holster, would be a good option.
    I would appreciate feedback from members that have the LC9.

I realize it has a long trigger pull, manual safety, and mag safety. I'm not thrilled with the two safeties. I've found a site that provides a way to remove the mag safety.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: LC9

I don't own one yet, bur I like it and will get one. First of all, the trigger pull is long but not that bad and in my opinion an improvement from the LCP. Stage it properly and you'll be fine. Ruger mag releases are fairly stiff and I have never actuated one accidentally so I see no reason to remove that safety, I see the ability to fire the weapon without the mag in as a plus but not worth voiding my warranty over. As for the manual safety, if it bothers you, just keep it off. What I don't like is the loaded chamber indicator. I think it's too big and the writing on it is just ugly. Safeties aside and features etc I think it will prove to be an excellent weapon overall.

(Lancaster County)

I shot one for the first time today, and I really didn't like the trigger pull. I guess I'm just used to my Glocks, but I really didn't like how sloppy the trigger felt.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Earlier this month I purchased a Gen 4 Glock 19. Great gun. I'm thinking that for summer carry the Ruger LC9, in a pocket holster, would be a good option.
    I would appreciate feedback from members that have the LC9.

I realize it has a long trigger pull, manual safety, and mag safety. I'm not thrilled with the two safeties. I've found a site that provides a way to remove the mag safety.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike
    Now what on earth would you do that for?

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Now what on earth would you do that for?
    I figure with such a long trigger pull and manual safety the mag safety is overkill. Other than invalidating the warranty is there something I'm missing?

The reasoning behind a magazine safety is that the majority, if not the vast majority, of all ND's occur during administrative handling and cleaning of firearms.

If one has a mag safety and is at least intelligent enough to remove the magazine, it completely eliminates any chance whatsoever of an ND, barring a complete mechanical failure of the magazine safety.

Of course everyone knows their trigger finger is their safety, but daggone it if a lot of people don't just go right on shooting themselves despite this well known fact.

Lord only knows how many ND's magazine safeties have prevented over the years. Probably many thousands of them.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

A thought on the mag safety thing.

I understand and agree the thinking is that less in the way, less to go wrong when it comes to safety overkill in a carry pistol - but playing devils advocate.

"WHY put that mag safety in there!?"

If your weapon is rendered inoperable because you don't have a mag .. IE the BAD GUY has it.. Calm down, you didnt get screwed by your choice in pistols. You got screwed by your choice to not pocket an extra mag.

Just for the sake of argument :-D
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Bucks County)

Oh, and vise versa. He ends up with your pistol but you got the mag away. Chances he has a ruger lc9 (or whatever it may be) mag in his pocket? Not great.

(Mifflin County)

Points well taken. Another thought, I have a round in the chamber. My mag has been removed. The threat is still valid. I have a good round that could save me but I can not fire. Would be very frustrating situation.

(Bucks County)

Hmmm there's an idea we might see someday.

Give me a mag safety that disengages while the mag release is being depressed. Works for you in that 1 in a million situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast