Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default 3" 1911....Convince me which one to get...

Been eyeing these up the last couple of months and so far have held off getting one. Right now I carry a xd-9sc, but i wanted to start carrying a larger caliber. Right now my eyes is on the spring field emp becasue its a .40, which I don't have yet, but kimbers seem to be all the rave, so what kind should I get?
    "

Default Re: 3" 1911....Convince me which one to get...

I plan to purchase a Springfield Micro Compact GI model. 3", .45, ~$600.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

(Lancaster County)

I love my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Great carry weapon and plenty accurate and reliable.
    P229- 40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzle1985 View Post
    Been eyeing these up the last couple of months and so far have held off getting one. Right now I carry a xd-9sc, but i wanted to start carrying a larger caliber. Right now my eyes is on the spring field emp becasue its a .40, which I don't have yet, but kimbers seem to be all the rave, so what kind should I get?
    I will try to convince you to get a full size JMB did not design a shortie all the research you can do will point to finikey,1911. Everything has to be just right or you have many problem's. Every topic I've read on shorties back's this,up...if it was meant to be JMB would have made a shortie
    Last edited by Ronnies111; July 22nd, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 98XJRC View Post
    I love my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Great carry weapon and plenty accurate and reliable.

+1 on this gun. I have the same and this is one great carry piece and one accurate 1911. Every piece of factory ammo I have fed this gun it has plain just ate! The WHA-WHA on these small 1911's not doing what they are suppose to do is just that. WHA-WHA.

I have a ankle holster that I carry it in (yeah, I know....) I will also carry it in a DeSanti's IWB holder depending upon what I am wearing, and it fits easy into a DeSanti's Fanny Pack.
    Last edited by DavidTM; July 21st, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

I've been eye a 3incher for a while too, but can't get myself to put out the money for one.

Where do I check: None of the above?

I have been a fan of the 1911 platform for many, many years. Ask any of the primo smiths, read the forums, and the conclusion you have to come to is that 3" 1911's are the ones most likely to be problematic. Sure you'll get those that chime in and say, "I've had my 3" brand XYZ for years and it eats everything and has never malfunctioned", well they were one of the lucky ones. I try not to trust my life to luck.

The 3" 1911 is a solution looking for a problem - let's see, mmmmmmm, makes it easier to carry. Ummmmm, no. Concealing extra barrel length is not a problem, An extra 1.25" (Commander length has been found to be the shortest reliable 1911 barrel length) just extends slightly further down your leg - What makes a gun hard to conceal is grip frame length.

OK, OK, it makes it lighter to carry. Ummmmm, no. To my knowledge all 3" versions use a conical bull barrel - heavy. Many of the CCO's and Commander length models use a straight, light barrel and bushing. So you have given up an inch's worth of ballistics, in an already slow moving cartridge, for the false economy of saving weight.

Again, to my knowledge, all of the shorties come with full-length guide rods - we can argue the merits, or lack of them, for FLGR's from now 'til the cows come home - the one inescapable fact is that they make the gun harder to field strip. Some require a special tool or a paper clip. The point is that with a FLGR and the sometimes multiple concentric springs, it is more complicated than JMB's original design.

You want to carry a 1911 in the smallest, lightest, most reliable package? Start with an alloy frame - either a bobbed full-size frame or an Officer's model frame. Add a Commander top-end with a barrel and bushing set-up, without a FLGR and you're set.

Personally I like the CCO's like the Sig C3 or RCS or the Dan Wesson CCO....but that's just me. YMMV.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Last edited by Pizza Bob; July 21st, 2010 at 04:04 PM.
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    The 3" 1911 is a solution looking for a problem - let's see, mmmmmmm, makes it easier to carry. Ummmmm, no. Concealing extra barrel length is not a problem, An extra 1.25" (Commander length has been found to be the shortest reliable 1911 barrel length) just extends slightly further down your leg...
    QFT. Right now I have a full-sized Taurus 1911 concealed in my Supertuck. It prints less than my 4" M&P in 9mm--which I've also never had a problem concealing.

(Luzerne County)

Another vote for a Kimber
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Fizzle1985,

Check out Rock Island Arms! They have a couple nice 1911 for 400-500 nib!!!!!!!!!! I just picked up a 4" commander size. Great shooter & carrygun for the money!!!!!!!
    "343" Never Forgotten

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast