Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Could Nagant Revolver really be that bad?

I just got a 1895 Nagant revolver from AIM and took it to the range today. I bought Privi Partizan ammo yesterday @ the VF show and I hit the paper Once, I repeat once and I had to aim 3 feet low and 18 or so inches to the right @ 25 yards to get that hit .

The shots were all over the place.

I took it apart and cleaned it before and after firing, and the barrel is in great shape (it looks bright and shiny with strong rifiling). Could it be the ammo?

And before you say anything it was not me I fired two other pistols after the Nagant with no problems hitting the paper.

PS...
    Should I try getting an exchange from AIM? Is this a valid reason for an exchange on a C&R if it is the pistol not the Ammo?
    Last edited by OvadekP; June 19th, 2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Post script

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Could Nagant Revolver really be that bad?

To be honest, it doesn't surprise me and I doubt it was the ammo (Prvi is good stuff). Nagant revolvers just have a ridiculous trigger pull which makes it hard to be accurate to begin with, the Russians were using corrosive ammo that didn't do much for the bores and they were rushed out of production for the war effort & re-arsenaled afterwards. Add all that up and you don't get "tackdriver"!

Were you shooting single or double action? I have one and it's bad double action but when shooting single action I can hit the target at 25 yards with a lot in the black. They were never ment to be target guns, just something for officers to shoot their own troops with when they got out of line.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    Were you shooting single or double action? I have one and it's bad double action but when shooting single action I can hit the target at 25 yards with a lot in the black. They were never ment to be target guns, just something for officers to shoot their own troops with when they got out of line.
    I was shooting single, as I stated previously I only hit the paper once out of 14 total shots. I didn't expect a target gun but this is ridiculous.

All i've ever heard about new manufacture nagant ammo is that it is way underpowered about 850 fps vs 1100 fps military ball.

I agree that aiming in single action is alot easier.

(Montgomery County)

If you were shooting offhand, might want to try shooting it again from a rest, to see if you can get any sort of grouping with it. Shorten the range to 7 or 10 yards as well, until you can get an idea of where it's hitting.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
    If you were shooting offhand, might want to try shooting it again from a rest, to see if you can get any sort of grouping with it. Shorten the range to 7 or 10 yards as well, until you can get an idea of where it's hitting.
    I shot 7 standing single action @ 25yds. 0 Hits.
    Then 7 sitting single action supported @ 25yds. 1 hit guessing where to aim. I aimed at least 3 feet off target low and to the right.
    My range doesnt allow firing in front of firing line and I don't have a portable stand to adjust target distance.

I sent AIM an email asking if they will do an exchange. I hope they will or I won't be shooting this gun again.

I have never tried our Nagants on paper. I have shot cans on the ground at more the 15yds and less than 25yds and never had a problem hitting them. I was using the Privi ammo also. My wife like the little Nagant. On aside note since Wisconsin is going to be getting CCW and i have a holster for the Nagant. I may carry it around for a while. I am sure we will have a period of adjustment for carrying while the LEO's get use to the idea of people carrying. I wonder what a LEO will do when he comes across a 1895 NAGANT from Russia.
    Last edited by Grizz2720; June 20th, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Lancaster County)

I received an email from AIM, they said for me to return the revolver and they will send me a replacement .

(Lackawanna County)

Mine was actually not bad. I had some ammo from 'hotshot' that was decent, and the Fiocchi was great, but you can use .32 S&W Longs and .32 H&R Magnums as long as you don't plan to reload the shells.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast