Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Thumbs up Positive LEO encounter Lower Makefield, PA (I-95 Traffic stop)

Happy Father's day to all my fellow Dads, Grandfathers, Step-Fathers, Father figures, and the like.

I actually left the card for my dad at the girl's house over in Trevose, PA. Took a shot down there this morning to grab it, and on the way back was pulled over for my inspection tags (They're valid, but the car is registered in PA and the sticker is NJ)

So he gets behind me right after the Newtown exit and throws his lights on, I pulled as far off onto the shoulder as I could. He exits his cruiser REALLY fast and is at the passenger window within 15 seconds of me actually coming to a stop.

"Hi there, good afternoon sir."

(still approaching) "What?"

"I said good afternoon, how are you today?"

(standing at my passenger window) "Good, you?"

"Great, I just want to let you know, I am liscenced to carry a firearm. I have my 1911 at my 4 O'clock position. My permit is in my right rear pocket."

(very casually) "Okay, well do you have a driver's liscence and registration with you as well?"

"Yes, I really didn't feel like getting shot today so I figured I'd wait for your command before reaching"

(Laughing) "okay, go ahead and get them. Don't worry, we're all on the same side"

I remove my DL and Regisration from the glove box/wallet, hand them to the officer and he asks for my LCTF as well. I comply. He returns to the cruiser and after about 5 minutes presents me with all my identification and a bright yellow "warning" regarding the inspection. If I am pulled over in lower makefield again they "may" issue me a ticket, it reads.

He was a nice guy. I asked if why they approach from the left side of the vehicle was due to cars speeding down the right and the officer that was killed a few years back on Rt. 1 and he said partially, but more because most people were right handed and if you have to disarm a right-handed driver it's easier to do it leaning in the passenger widow.

Funny? I've learned a few LEO disarmament techniques (whilst not being one) and they all involve approaching the driver's side. I guess you learn something new every day!

I didnt get tased, shot, or a ticket. We're real friendly with the neighboring PD, Yardley Boro.. I wish I had caught his name - chances are the old man knows him.
    Last edited by RHGregory3; June 19th, 2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: I'm SPED.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Positive LEO encounter Lower Makefield, PA (I-95 Traffic stop)

I forgot my point of posting this ...

he said "We're on the same side"

I've never heard a LEO say that.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Chester County)

epic FAIL waving your right to remain silent. it worked out but you took the risk of having your property seized/searched and having a gun pointed at you.

if you were worried about him seeing your gun and thinking you were going for it, tell him where your drivers license is instead and reach for it very slowly

Glad it worked out ok for you!
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Delaware County)

Glad to head the officer chose not to walk on your rights since you so willingly gave them up.

I was going to be mean, but I read over what I typed and changed my mind.

I will never understand why people who have been pulled over don't have their DL, REG, and POI in-hand by the time the officer gets to the window. Fifteen seconds is plenty of time to grab the REG and POI from the glovebox/console/hatch by the driving wheel/above the visor and your DL from your wallet. There is no reason for these documents to be anywhere but two seconds away.

Just my opinion, sorry for being off-topic.
    Junior

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Glad to head the officer chose not to walk on your rights since you so willingly gave them up.

I was going to be mean, but I read over what I typed and changed my mind.

I will never understand why people who have been pulled over don't have their DL, REG, and POI in-hand by the time the officer gets to the window. Fifteen seconds is plenty of time to grab the REG and POI from the glovebox/console/hatch by the driving wheel/above the visor and your DL from your wallet. There is no reason for these documents to be anywhere but two seconds away.

Just my opinion, sorry for being off-topic.
    I keep my insurance/registration in my wallet. So Gunning for them real quick may or may not look suspicious to an approaching LEO. I think I'd wait for them to ask for it before bounding around in my seat.

(Bucks County)

Good to hear of a pleasant encounter in my neck of the woods.

I grew up in Yardley Borough, and spend plenty of time driving through LMT, good to hear LMT didn't freak out. I haven't caught any MWAG calls OC'ing at YB Wawa so I guess despite how uptight Yardley can be they don't harass legal gun owners either.

I normally have all my car stuffs in my hand before they reach the window. I also do not inform, unless I am exiting the vehicle or something escalates like that.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by RHGregory3 View Post

I didnt get tased, shot, or a ticket. We're real friendly with the neighboring PD, Yardley Boro.. I wish I had caught his name - chances are the old man knows him.
    B"H

May be next time we all have a good LEO encounter we should make a new thread and put their name / municipality here and write a lot of good stuff about them. Maybe at least that way the not good ones might change a bit.
    And the good one might feel like a million dollars. The thread could be our way of giving the good ones a "medal" or something.
    You got a permit to ask stupid Questions?"

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I will never understand why people who have been pulled over don't have their DL, REG, and POI in-hand by the time the officer gets to the window
    By the time you notice you're being pulled over the leo is watching your every move. Him seeing you reaching for something in the glove box etc can easily cause added tension as he approaches the car. Me - both hands on steering wheel from the second I notice the leo until he/she's standing by my door. At night the interior light is on the second I stop. I do everything I can to show I'm not a threat.

Sorry for off topic but I wanted to answer.
    Last edited by DonM55; June 19th, 2011 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RHGregory3 View Post
    I forgot my point of posting this ...

he said "We're on the same side"

I've never heard a LEO say that.
    Actually, I did a few weeks ago, but for a different reason. I was at the scene of an accident long before fire crews/EMS got on the scene. It was a rural road and three state troopers were the first on the scene after myself. (I am a firefighter as well) I also drive a 2001 Impala ex-police car with the lights on it for firefighting. I was a witness to the accident and the cops got my statement, but I stayed to direct traffic until fire police were on-scene. I told one trooper that I was only trying to help maintain the safety of the scene until other help arrived ad the senior trooper said he had no problem with that, as I was "one of the good guys." I thought that was unique, too.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast