Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: RUGER SR9c PEENING? **UPDATED**

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Peening is when the actual steel is being wore away and you can actually feel gouges in the metal .
    actually, peening is the moving of the metal, not removing it.
    it is often used to work harden areas.
    peening can be used to relieve stress, as a post welding process.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Fayette County)

I am new to the group here and just stumbled upon this post. I purchased a new sr9 friday and put 117 rounds through it and I don't have peening in the front pf the chamber but my peening is on the barrel hood, when the slide cycles shut the hood lug is hitting the slide right above the extractor. Did you notice any issues there?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by byrnzee13 View Post
    I am new to the group here and just stumbled upon this post. I purchased a new sr9 friday and put 117 rounds through it and I don't have peening in the front pf the chamber but my peening is on the barrel hood
    Crap - I just got a brand new SR40, maybe about 30 rounds thru it, and I noticed the same thing - yikes

Default Re: RUGER SR9c PEENING?

Quote Originally Posted by StingyGunner View Post
    Ok i'll try to get some pics up. I took some pics a few days before it left for Ruger in Arizona. They're not as clear as I would like, and it got worse after the pictures were taken..simply from racking the slide. The reason why I wondered how they are "getting away" with it is because it is a metal problem. This soft metal we're talking about, and when it's on a firearm that's definitely not a good thing. Mine, though the pictures may not adequately show, was worse than what I saw online. I'll work on getting them up for you.
    i know kel-tec had the same problem on thier gun's , this is not a range gun but a gun meant to carried alot and shot a little.. but i agree the metal should hold up. i was in lgs friday and the glock salesman was telling a customer that the ruger lc9 would be wore out in only a few thousand's rd's, and the glock would go forever, which i totaly agree. i was going to get one but not now, i have a kel-tec, but donot shoot it very much,
    n2guns (never2giveupneversurrender)

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: RUGER SR9c PEENING?

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    No idea because mine had been 100% prefect since initial breakin and has not had a single failure in the last 1300-1400 rounds. So I dont know what they would be "getting away with" since everyone I know that also has one is nothing but happy with it.

Didn't realize how much the SR9c in black resembles the LC9:

Last edited by Storm88000; November 15th, 2011 at 01:55 AM.

Talking Re: RUGER SR9c PEENING? **UPDATED**

Ruger must be using some soft steel. A buddy of mine had an peening issue with the firing pin in his LCR. He purchaced it for a DeBethencourt revolver class and it lasted about that long. Completely siezed during dry practice the day after.

What a shame, they used to make some incredibly robust firearms.
    Last edited by vicious; November 15th, 2011 at 02:51 AM.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    Bought my SR9 used with ~500 rounds on the clock. It had light peening/deformation on the barrel, at the forward edge of the chamber where it mates with the slide. Looks about the same as yours.

3,000+ rounds later, it's still pretty much the same. Gun has never had a single failure (knock on wood). I'd say let it go. Poo-poo on Ruger for leaving us with a cosmetic blemish, which is really all it is.
    agreed mine is SLIGHTLY like that and I could not care less..it works 100% its not gotten "worse" I didnt really even notice it till this thread..1500+ rounds now and its great and not had a single malfunction...thats what I care about.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Maybe once the slide knocks that initial high spot down - that's it. It's business as usual?
    1500+ rounds in mine says yup thats all it is and im on with that...had a bit of the same thing on my 2nd gen Glock 23 and it didnt miss a beat either nor did I really even notice it till I saw posts like this...looked and said..yup just a little bit of something there..but since it does not effect accuracy,looks(as you cant really notice unless you really look),reliability(thats the key one for me)..or anything else I can find..its to me a non issue.

I just got mines and only has 150 rounds through it so far no sign of this Peening. The gun shoots so well and accurate I hope its not a carry a lot and shoot sparringly type gun,because I plan to shoot this gun a lot. Unlike my Kel Tec the SR9C seem to be built to take it, it absorbs 9mm recoil well unlike the Kel Tec after a couple magazine it hurts because the KT is so small and light.

I'm hoping you can shoot the SR9C a lot, I mean it is a RUGER.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 16th, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I just got mines and only has 150 rounds through it so far no sign of this Peening. The gun shoots so well and accurate I hope its not a carry a lot and shoot sparringly type gun,because I plan to shoot this gun a lot. Unlike my Kel Tec the SR9C seem to be built to take it, it absorbs 9mm recoil well unlike the Kel Tec after a couple magazine it hurts because the KT is so small and light.

I'm hoping you can shoot the SR9C a lot, I mean it is a RUGER.
    Shoot the hell out of it, there won't be any issues. Mine shoots fantastic, and is mighty accurate. This gun is for sure a shooter, I don't care what marks are on it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast