Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 1898 Springfield Krag - Carbine Model....Worth??

Hello everyone.

I wanted to know if anyone here has some experience with Krags? I just bought an 1898 US Springfield Krag, Model 1899 Carbine (images atached).

I paid $300. It's just missing the top handguard. Everything is nice and tight, great wood, and good bore. Bluing is good on the barrel, but 50% on the receiver/bolt area.

What could I expect to get for it from a collector vs. dealer at a show?

The big question......how can I get a top wooden handguard?

Thanks

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Elk County)

Default Re: 1898 Springfield Krag - Carbine Model....Worth??

You have a "faux" Krag carbine cut down from an 1898 Rifle. It is certainly not a genuine 1899 Carbine.

There is no front band retaining spring on the right side of the stock foreend forward of the front band. The front sight base is from a 1903 Springfield, a very common way to install a front sight on a cut down Krag rifle.

The "1899" date stamp on the stock cartouche is the year which the original Model 1898 Rifle was made.

As for fair market value, it has value as a shooter but not as something collectable. IMO and experience, it is worth about what you paid for it, if the rifling is still in good condition and the muzzle is not worn from cleaning rod damage.

Original Krag handguards come in a number of styles depending on Model year and style and are difficult to find and expensive, ranging from $75 to $250 depending on style and condition. Original handguards have steel rivets, and most Krag HGs I see for sale and even on Krag firearms have brass rivets securing the wood to the spring clips. Brass was NEVER used in Krag HGs. A while back, someone produced a large quantity of repro Krag HGs, but they had brass rivets. Problem is, many dealers who have these repros are charging prices in line with those of original Krag HGs, whether they know the HGs are repros or not.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; June 19th, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

you just got the lowdown! In my experience good condition wood for these rifles often costs as much as a decent condition complete rifle will go for!
    MORDENTE MEUM

Thanks a lot guys.

The good news is it was converted to a 30.06. Atleast that is readily available.
    The 30-40 would be tough.

Do you think that I could sell it for $375 at a Gun Show?

Or is it just a closet gun.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tin Soldier; June 19th, 2011 at 01:17 PM.

I hate to rain on your parade even further, but the .30-06 is a bit higher intensity cartridge than the .30-40 Krag.

SAAMI spec for max chamber pressure on the .30-06 is 60K PSI. Max pressure, for the .30-40 Krag is 40K CUP. Now before everybody piles on and says there is no correlation between PSI and CUP, please take the time to read this monograph...

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/psicuparticle2.pdf

By using the formula derived in this paper you will find that 40K CUP equals 42738 PSI +/- 3000 PSI, so its upper limit would be 45738 PSI - considerably less than the 60K PSI of the .30-06.

Since you have no idea of the history of this rifle - who converted it, how many rounds through the receiver of both .30-40 and .30-06, you may be skating on thin ice. I'd say, to be on the safe side, you have a $300 wallhanger there.

Maybe this was a common conversion, back in the day, but with today's technology we have a better understanding of the limits of metallurgy. I'd advise, at the least, you only shoot reduced loads.

Sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

i would say at 300 you over paid from 50 to 100 bucks.
    for all the previously been mentioned faults.
    the krag is reknown for being one of the, if not the smoothest bolt action rifle around...however it gained that "honor" by only having one locking lug. and that lug was found to being lacking in strength when in 1899 the cartridge was upped in power from 2000fp/s to 2200ft/s, but was quickly reverted back when reports of cracked lugs began pouring in.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade even further, but the .30-06 is a bit higher intensity cartridge than the .30-40 Krag.

SAAMI spec for max chamber pressure on the .30-06 is 60K PSI. Max pressure, for the .30-40 Krag is 40K CUP. Now before everybody piles on and says there is no correlation between PSI and CUP, please take the time to read this monograph...

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/psicuparticle2.pdf

By using the formula derived in this paper you will find that 40K CUP equals 42738 PSI +/- 3000 PSI, so its upper limit would be 45738 PSI - considerably less than the 60K PSI of the .30-06.

Since you have no idea of the history of this rifle - who converted it, how many rounds through the receiver of both .30-40 and .30-06, you may be skating on thin ice. I'd say, to be on the safe side, you have a $300 wallhanger there.

Maybe this was a common conversion, back in the day, but with today's technology we have a better understanding of the limits of metallurgy. I'd advise, at the least, you only shoot reduced loads.

Sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Thanks PB.

I got to thinking after your comments and went straight to my misc ammo bin. Grabbed a .30-06 round and a .30-40 round. I had not chambered the rifle yet. The tag hanging from the trigger guard is incorrect. The 30-06 will not seat in the chamber (it stick out). The 30-40 went in like butter.

Not a very qualified auction house. The gun went up as a US Springfield 1899 Krag Carbine in 30-06.

I should call the auction house and get a refund.

But first, I will try a few 30-40 rounds through it.

Thanks again.

(Elk County)

Looked again at the photos -- The 1892 (yes, 1892) Krag rear sight is mounted backwards. The hinge is supposed to be toward the receiver, not the muzzle. You may want to take a well-fitting screwdriver and reverse the sight prior to firing. However, the way the rear sight base is sitting as-installed, the screws may be cross-threaded.

IMO, unless it cuts excellent groups I'd be looking to send it back for a refund.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Looked again at the photos -- The 1892 (yes, 1892) Krag rear sight is mounted backwards. The hinge is supposed to be toward the receiver, not the muzzle. You may want to take a well-fitting screwdriver and reverse the sight prior to firing. However, the way the rear sight base is sitting as-installed, the screws may be cross-threaded.

IMO, unless it cuts excellent groups I'd be looking to send it back for a refund.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Noah
    Correct- The sight is an 1892 and is mounted backwards. The barrel is not correct for a '99 carbine. What is the model # on the receiver? ALL receivers marked "1899" were carbines when they left Springfield Armory.
    I'm a Kragophile. Fortunately, I don't have to register with the authorities when I move.

(Lebanon County)

the pix in the one year original post clearly show an 1898 receiver.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....