Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Smith and wesson body guard .380

So for some reason I am curious of the Smith and Wesson body guard .380. Anyone here have it? I know they had issues with it when it first came out, did they fix that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Smith and wesson body guard .380

we have had a handfull or so go out of the shop. no negative or positive feedback from the customers. the earliest production guns had a issue with the laser buttons, some were hard to press others flat out wouldn't work. we sent one back before sale because one button wouldn't work. s&w stood behind it and it came back fixed. seems like most of the pocket .380's except with a intregal laser as far as quality. haven't had the chance to shoot one so no first hand input for you.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Smith and wesson body guard .380

I actually really like the bodyguard 380 semi auto. My wife bought one a short while ago. The only gripe I have is that the laser activation button needed some working in. I removed it and pressed and rolled it around a bit to soften it up. Is it crimson trace level? no but it works. Not one malfunction by the way.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Westmoreland County)

I like mine. Shoots good, never had any failures. The laser button is a little awkward at first but after a while becomes fairly comfortable. I have a DeSantis nemesis (I think) pocket holster that carries it well and has a flap that covers it to make it more concealable when in a tighter pocket. Good gun, I'd buy it again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    So for some reason I am curious of the Smith and Wesson body guard .380. Anyone here have it? I know they had issues with it when it first came out, did they fix that?
    I played with one of these at Surplus city. I liked the pistol, but hated the activation button for the laser.

The Crimson Trace pressure activated laserguard is vastly superior, IMO.

I bought one for the boss ( aka wife) at targetmaster when they had smith & wesson days there. I paid like $350 for it, but could have gotten it cheaper through a friend who is an ffl. At the time i was not aware of that though.

They used to have pin issues were the take down pin would fly off when you were shootin it, but they have fixed that.

I like the fact that it has a manual safety and is probalby the most easily concealable gun i can think of. It is reasonably accurate, but with the trigger pull being heavy its not as accurate as i like. I would not take a head shot with it because fear of missing at more than say 15 yard. Middleof body should be good for there. The laser is pretty accurate but takes fiddling with to get used to turning it on when you draw it.

If you were thinking of that its not a bad gun, but lots of people seem to like the ruger lcp and they are about $100 less ad most people tell me in a self defense situation you wont get a chance to use the laser.

I am actually thinking the pocket 9mm kahr pistol might be the best. I would much rather trust my life to a 9mm than 380

(Lehigh County)

I purchased my Bodyguard about a month ago and have put around 200 rounds through it so far with no problems. In fact my friend gave me 90 rounds of ammo that his Ruger LCP wouldn't feed (don't recall he make) and the Bodyguard ate all 90 rounds cleanly.

The laser switch is in an awkward position and you might have to remove and re-install the rubber rubber buttons to get them to work better and if you call Smith & Wesson they will send you some extra buttons.

Here's a good website to check out (if you haven't already come across it) dedicated to the BG 380
    http://www.bodyguard380.com/forums/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog46 View Post
    If you were thinking of that its not a bad gun, but lots of people seem to like the ruger lcp and they are about $100 less ad most people tell me in a self defense situation you wont get a chance to use the laser.
    Hence having the pressure activated crimson trace laser, as i do on my Ruger LCP.

To me, if you're a laser guy, the LCP with crimson trace (or Kahr with CT) is a much more practical setup.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm by no means a wimp, but the trigger is REALLY heavy and the thumb safety is painfully difficult to operate. It's so ridiculously difficult that the girl I know carries it without the thumb safety engaged. If the trigger is that heavy, what's the point of having the thumb safety?

I do like the ergonomic of it and the trigger does break rather clean...almost too clean and not as smooth as the LCP trigger overall. The sights are clear, unlike the LCP, and it's very accurate. I shot a 2" group at 21' first time shooting it, so thumbs up on that.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

I'm sure the S&W trigger and safety would smooth out considerably over time, with use.

Still, most factory S&W triggers will benefit immensely from a basic trigger polish job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast