Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Question Retreving Firearms From Law Enforcement

Good Morning,
    Does anyone know what the process, timeframes, paperwork, is for retreving ones firearms from LE after they've been removed from a home due to a domestic. There are no "official" charges, no PFA's involved, and the issue has been settled.
    Thanks, PaMedic.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Retreving Firearms From Law Enforcement

I noticed the post earlier today, and while I have nothing specific to recommend as far as the how to of having your property returned, I suspect that it will not be easy. I would also expect it may take the involvement of a lawyer.

If that turns out to be the case, I would shop long and hard before you spend any money. Asking a lawyer what his experience is with cases like this. How many has he actually handled? How many were successful or not? What costs are involved? What time line would be reasonable to expect? Are there things that you, the client, could do to minimize the costs of this process? Etc., etc. Don't settle for vague responses like; "I have handled a lot of these cases". Get some specifics. Lawyers are really good at pitching bullshit and getting only mediocre results.

The point is to ask a number of lawyers a lot of questions and see what they each advise. This research and Q&A process should be for free. Your initial consult with any attorney should be no charge. If they want money up front, find another lawyer.

These are just my comments. I have no experience with this type of matter. You may also look into the laws and process for such an issue at the county law library of online. I might even ask someone like mjdschool and see what he could tell you.

Best of luck. I think you may need it.
    Last edited by twoguns; June 19th, 2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling

(Luzerne County)

Twoguns, Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread. I am aware that it may come down to having to obtain the services of an attorney in order to have my weapons returned, but I do hope that it will not have to come to that. I also know that at one point my neighbor had to surrender his firearms due to his estranged wife’s filing of a PFA at the County level. However, once a hearing was held, and the PFA dismissed, "without" the use of an attorney, his weapons were returned to him when he presented confirmation of the PFA having been lifted.
    The situation on which I posted is of a "local" nature so I'm hoping, for my friends’ sake that having his firearms returned to him will be just as smooth.
    Again, thank you for your reply!
    Stay Safe!

(Monroe County)

Well, like I said, good luck.

I hope it is as easy as you say the neighbors was.

I am a little disappointed that no one with experience in the matter has chimed in. Sorry I could not be of more help.

(Luzerne County)

I feel your disappointment too! However, it's still early...lol

(Lackawanna County)

I had no issues retrieving my 1911 from Wilkes-Barre cop-shop after it wa taken when I was arrested on an outstanding warrant. Called them when I got out and picked up my gun the next day with no requirement to show 'proof of ownership'. I did insist on a receipt for the gun when it was taken.

Scranton police took me almost a month, $1000 in legal fees and a judges order after the Bongo's bar incident.

Good luck to ya, man.