Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sloppy slide

Default Sloppy slide

I am looking to gain back some accuracy on a couple of my polymer pistols and am wondering if I spread the frame rails on them so that the slide has less "slop" or side to side movement, will this help, or is the slide and barrel going to lock up in the firing position no matter what I do? I have the resources to spread the frame rails and take accurate measurements, with, of course, keeping safety in mind. Basically, I want to attempt to have the same amount or close to the same amount of play between the slide and the frame as I have on my 1911's, which are all mad accurate. Please chime in if you can help me with this answer.
    Last edited by harold63; June 18th, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sloppy slide

I'm not 100% sure about this, but:

The sights are on the slide. So, at the moment you acquire the target, is the slide going to move between then and the instant when the gun discharges? I'm inclined to think it won't, though it's entirely possible I'm wrong. But, FWIW, my "el cheapo" used Taurus PT-940 has considerable slide slop, but it's accurate as hell. I too am interested to see what others think.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Sloppy slide

not sure what poly gun your working with but polymer has a memory. if your dealing with glocks i'm not sure how you would spread the rails since they are molded into to frame. if you spread them and remove whatever tool you're using i would think the rails would return to their original position. i know this is a popular accuracy technique for 1911's but there you are dealing with a metal slide as well as a metal frame. metal can be tweeked and it will stay where you put it. if you try this let us know how you make out, it is a interesting idea.

(Susquehanna County)

You don't need "target pistol" accuracy for what's supposed to be a combat pistol. If you can keep everything in the "0" ring on an IDPA target at 20 to 25 yards you have usable accuracy.

And yes, adjusting the fit of the slide is one of the many things done to improve accuracy on M1911 type pistols.

That being said I don't believe fussing with the frame on a polymer gun will help much. But you might gain something by squeezing in the slide a bit then hand-lapping to the frame or peening the slide rails and hand lapping. But, one huge warning here I have never heard of anyone attempting this!

If you decide to experiment be sure to publish your results here!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    You don't need "target pistol" accuracy for what's supposed to be a combat pistol. If you can keep everything in the "0" ring on an IDPA target at 20 to 25 yards you have usable accuracy.

And yes, adjusting the fit of the slide is one of the many things done to improve accuracy on M1911 type pistols.

That being said I don't believe fussing with the frame on a polymer gun will help much. But you might gain something by squeezing in the slide a bit then hand-lapping to the frame or peening the slide rails and hand lapping. But, one huge warning here I have never heard of anyone attempting this!

If you decide to experiment be sure to publish your results here!
    You are correct. My bad. They are Taurus OSS DS's with a ton of rounds on them. I am an old lady and the range is my old lady bar. One of these pistols is worse than the other and I merely want to put thin shims on the pins between the frame rails and the polymer frame itself. Also, it would involve putting about a five degree bend in the rail itself just to take up a little more slack. I bragged so long about about how good polymer frame pistols are that I didn't really realize that the metal inside the polymer frame will wear out, as well. I have spoken to Taurus about this and they are happy to make the repairs, but it is a normal wear thing and I will have to foot the bill, which I don't really disagree with. My main concern was even if I tighten the slide to the frame, will my accuracy increase given I make the necessary adjustments to the sights?

Yes, If I am knucklehead enough to do this, I will post the results.
    Last edited by harold63; June 18th, 2011 at 07:41 PM.

(Chester County)

Barrel to slide, and barrel to locking block/lower lugs will impact mechanical accuracy more than anything else. Slide to frame fit is of almost NO importance.

If you want a polymer tack-driver look at an HK, or have a high quality barrel fit into a Glock slide.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Barrel to slide, and barrel to locking block/lower lugs will impact mechanical accuracy more than anything else. Slide to frame fit is of almost NO importance.

If you want a polymer tack-driver look at an HK, or have a high quality barrel fit into a Glock slide.
    Hey, good to hear from you! What you are telling me is what I was afraid of and didn't want to dick up a gun that someone could put under their pillow without the need of minute of eyeball, if you know what I mean. My wife and I have been saving for an HK USP Elite for 6 months and bought it yesterday at the Ft. Myers gun show in Florida. It was the only one at the show and had our names written on it. Although we could have had one shipped through an FFL for $899, plus fees, we got to do the hands on thing and purchase for $1028. $129 is a little high for peace of mind, but f... it. It is brand new without a mark on it, and it is the HK I have wanted for 50 yard for some time now. I was a little disappointed that the case is not as nice as the 'Expert' case is, but, you can't always have your cake and eat it too. Finally got an HK in me home. Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by harold63; June 19th, 2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: added bit about gun case

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I am looking to gain back some accuracy on a couple of my polymer pistols and am wondering if I spread the frame rails on them so that the slide has less "slop" or side to side movement, will this help, or is the slide and barrel going to lock up in the firing position no matter what I do? .
    WHICH polymer guns ?
    They all have different rail systems.

My bet is you'd screwup your gun.

What matters is that the position of the SIGHTS relative to the
    centerline of the bore is consistent from shot to shot.

I would advise trying various ammo or maybe some aftermarket sights.

Quote Originally Posted by PAS&W View Post
    WHICH polymer guns ?
    They all have different rail systems.

My bet is you'd screwup your gun.

What matters is that the position of the SIGHTS relative to the
    centerline of the bore is consistent from shot to shot.

I would advise trying various ammo or maybe some aftermarket sights.

They were Taurus OSS DS 9mm's. I used them for 50 yd, mostly. The sights were a built up design (of my own) using the factory sights as a base. The guns have been shot a lot and showed some slide to frame wear, one more than the other. Didn't really notice this until I looked at them well. Ammo is definitely not the problem. Not to worry anyway. I just sold the pair to a friend of mine who wants them as under the seat guns in his grove trucks. Worked out for everyone.