Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Bucks County Non-Resident LTCF

Hi all,
    Just wanted to share my experience from today. I went to the Bucks County Court House in Doylestown to get my Non-resident LTCF permit. The process was smooth and painless, sans the two references. I asked the clerk if they were required by state law. I also asked her to show me the law stating their requirement, to which she could not. I proceeded with filling out the app., and did include two references, one of which does not live in PA. The whole process took about 45 min. as well as the $20 fee and considering it was the lunch hour, I didn't think it was too bad.
    The webmasters might consider updating the table that shows Bucks Count being "unknown" as to their processing Non-resident permits.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bucks County Non-Resident LTCF

Where do you live? Your location shows you in Philadelphia.....????

(Philadelphia County)

Well, yes sir I do. But..... as I am here in PA on a temporary work assignment, my Drivers License and legal residency is in Idaho. After reading all of the issues that have come up with the Philadelphia PD and how they seem to want to misinterept the PA law, I went to Bucks County to get my Non-res permit.

Was there anything else that I should keep in mind before going? I live in VA, but new wife lives in PA and we're looking to buy a house in Bucks County within the next 6 months or so.

Also, does anyone know why the Sheriff's website says that they only issue permits to residents of Bucks County with PA identification if they actually do issue non-resident permits?

http://www.buckscounty.org/governmen...onsPermit.aspx

All PA counties are legally required to issue to qualified non-residents, but some do not for whatever reasons of their own.

If a non-resident were to really push this, these sheriffs might comply with the law

Some sheriffs seem like they do not want to be "bothered" issuing to non-residents, and therefore maybe do want to publicize the fact that they do

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Some sheriffs seem like they do not want to be "bothered" issuing to non-residents, and therefore maybe do want to publicize the fact that they do

But...since it is a "uniform" process....resident/non-resident shouldn't matter...

Quote Originally Posted by AcidResGambit View Post
    Also, does anyone know why the Sheriff's website says that they only issue permits to residents of Bucks County with PA identification if they actually do issue non-resident permits?
    Perhaps just poorly worded? They cannot issue to a PA resident from a different county.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    All PA counties are legally required to issue to qualified non-residents, but some do not for whatever reasons of their own.

If a non-resident were to really push this, these sheriffs might comply with the law

I can't seem to find that in the law, maybe you can point to it?

The only thing I can find reguarding non resident licenses is under:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(e) Issuance of license.--(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following
    :

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    I don't see where it says all counties are required to issue by law to non residents, I only see in what circumstances they can't issue to a non resident.

(Bucks County)

Maybe this?

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(e) Issuance of license.--(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following

I am just guessing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast