Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Bucks County Non-Resident LTCF

Could be, but it seems a bit vague to me, but hey that's how the laws are in this country. It's a Pa statute, maybe the sheriff's interpret it as they like, just as they do with the other parts of the law.

“The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced”

... Frank Zappa

Thumbs down Re: Bucks County Non-Resident LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by AcidResGambit View Post
    Was there anything else that I should keep in mind before going? I live in VA, but new wife lives in PA and we're looking to buy a house in Bucks County within the next 6 months or so.
    yes before you enter the courthouse be prepared to not only empty your pockets but remove your belt as well. If you have even a small keychain knife leave it in your car- they even caught my utili-key once

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Could be, but it seems a bit vague to me, but hey that's how the laws are in this country. It's a Pa statute, maybe the sheriff's interpret it as they like, just as they do with the other parts of the law.

Yeah, it's somewhat poorly worded, but the gist of it is, IMO, is that the sheriff of every PA county ( or Philly police chief, AKA gun permit unit ) is supposed, by statute, to issue to any qualified non-resident.

I believe others here have that same viewpoint also.

Of course, the sheriffs (or Philly police chief) can interpret it how they like, but it doesn't make them correct. And as we've seen, they can usually get away with it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Yeah, it's somewhat poorly worded, but the gist of it is, IMO, is that the sheriff of every PA county ( or Philly police chief, AKA gun permit unit ) is supposed, by statute, to issue to any qualified non-resident.

I believe others here have that same viewpoint also.

Of course, the sheriffs (or Philly police chief) can interpret it how they like, but it doesn't make them correct. And as we've seen, they can usually get away with it.
    Really it's the non-resident thing that keeps throwing me off, in other words, the issuing authority shall issue to a qualified person period, no reference in the statute as to resident or non resident, so your statement "All PA counties are legally required to issue to qualified non-residents" would better be put forth as "all qualifying individuals".

By the way I didn't say the sheriffs were right, just that they tend to interpret things differently from county to county.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12