Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Charter Arms Research

I've begun doing research on 1st GENERATION Charter Arms revolvers. I'm looking for pieces with either BRIDGEPORT or STRATFORD CONN Barrel addresses.
    What I need is which address, what is the serial number (XX is Ok for now), model name, finish and any information about when made or purchased? I've just started and so far I have about 60 serial numbers and addresses. When I get enough info to develop some idea of dates, I'll post and update. Thanks in advance.
    Jim
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

Default Re: Charter Arms Research

I have a stainless Pathfinder .22 LR w/ 3" barrel, labeled Bridgeport, Conn., serial number 811xx.

Any idea of date range of manufacture?

Thanks

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Mine is a 38SPL, Stainless, 2". I prchased it in 81 or 82, and had Charter put the bobbed hammer and no-snag sight on it. I later silver-soldered the front sight.

S/N 778XXX "STRATFORD"

OP on thread " "Inexpensive does not mean "cheap" " describes it.

Nice goal - keep me posted on your results.

Flash
    Last edited by Flash; June 2nd, 2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: add "STRATFORD"

Got a reply from the current Charter Arms saying my Pathfinder is circa 1967. Hopefully a nice little find!

(Northampton County)

lwoods - thanks for the info. Your piece is Nickel plated - Charter Arms didn't produce anything in stainless steel until April/May of 1981. It's good for a research milestone to know that this one is 1967 era.

Flash,
    Thanks for your info also. The bobbed hammer was called the "Pocket Hammer" in their catalogues. Is your piece an "Undercover" model?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post

Flash,
    Thanks for your info also. The bobbed hammer was called the "Pocket Hammer" in their catalogues. Is your piece an "Undercover" model?
    Yes, it was called the "Undercover" when I purchased it. It did originally come with the spur hammer, but I sent it back for the "pocket hammer". You are right on that name, I just kinda forgot in the two or three years since I bought it - - - LOL.

I had a blued S&W 36 since late 60's, and one of my friends on the Wash, D.C. (city) PD department had a blued Charter with spur hammer and a nickel-plated Chief's Special, and it kinda set me afire for having anothe J-frame - but shiny, and when the Charter came out in stainless and at a price vastly less than the prized S&W, I opened up the wallet.

Flash

32 Magnum, I checked my Pathfinder with a magnet and you are correct it is nickel plated. Would have sworn it was satin stainless from the appearance.
    Thanks for the info.

(Northampton County)

Gentlemen -
    Thanks for the information - AND - thanks for thanking. Research continues. I have about 700 data points and have acquired 25 different examples for hands-on research. I like these 1st generation CA - I carry a 6 shot .38 SPL - POLICE BULLDOG model with a 2.5" barrel, in blue - most of the time. It is very accurate and works like a charm. Also, it keeps my S&Ws from getting holster wear. LOL

(Philadelphia County)

Not sure if this is a Undercover or a Undercoverette. As you can see in the scans the manual says "Undercover" and shows an exact image of the gun I have. The back page has a picture of a "Undercoverette" and it looks exactly the same. This was my mothers gun and I'm guessing she bought it in the mid 70's. I found it in it's original box (with wax paper) wrapped in newspaper. The manual was in the box. There was also a box of bullets with 10 missing. I'm guessing she and my father both shot 5 rounds when they bought it at a local gunshop (I know that shop had a range). The box is a generic Charter Arms box with a sticker on one flap with "Charter 2 38 SPL" and the serial number printed on it. Price sticker says "List Price 173.00", "Our Price 164.95". I see some on the web going for $300 in good condition, this one looks like new. Serial Number is 644XXX. It weighs 16 Oz's empty.
    It's a nice old gun, looks like it's well made. I never heard of a 5 shoot revolver. Trigger guard and handle frame look like there aluminum. Hammer looks like hardened steel. Wooden grips. The barrel is about 1 1/4 inches long so I'm guessing it's the 2 inch barrel model I have been reading about on the web. The 4 scans are the entire manual.
    So is it a Undercover or a Undercoverette ? And when was it made ?

Well OK, so I should have read the manual. The Undercoverette comes in .32 and mine is a .38, I have a undercover. Thanks for pointing that out Flash. (It says so in the manual, and I read it many times, it's in the third thimbnail, mental block I guess)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matazel; July 16th, 2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Update

I have two Charter Arms revolvers, both in .44 Spl., both with the Stratford, CT barrel impression. The one is a Bulldog Pug, which was purchased new ca Sept 1987 and is serial Number 1018XXX.

The second one was purchased new in January of 1990 and is a Target Bulldog. Even though this was purchased more than two years after the Pug, the serial number (735XXX) precedes it by quite a bit (assuming sequential serial numbers). I believe this resulted from the fact that this sat on the dealer's shelves for a long time. I purchased it during a clearance event for NOS guns. Not something I normally would have purchased, but couldn't pass it up for the price.

I have the original walnut grips, box and all papers for the Target Bulldog. Grips on the Pug are original. I may have the box and papers for the Pug also, but it would take some digging.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast