Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Charter Arms Research

Quote Originally Posted by iomedic View Post
    That's a great idea! I've always wondered how old mine was!

Its Bridgeport CONN., 2inch Barell Undercover 38 SPL 5 Shot. Serial # 858XX with very odd mate finish. I bought it in 2006/07 don't remember exactly.
    This is a very early piece - Bridgeport barrel address started around s/n 30,000 +/- a couple thousand, need more data. I'd estimate Year of Manufacture to be around 1967-68, again need more data. The finish on these guns was a semi-polished blue. Can't say at this time that a matte finish is not original, it's possibly a later refinish after sand/bead blasting???
    Thanks for the info.
    Jim
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by muffler man View Post
    I do have a 6" bulldog with fixed sights, but the serial number is 3996xx. I have a set of rubber grips on it and it was covering the first number. Joe
    Well, that clears up my confusion - 3996xx fits into my data much better and I have corrected my base. As I suspected the grip panels covered the first digit. I've got one that has the same problem
    Thanks for the info.
    Jim
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; August 7th, 2010 at 02:37 PM.

(Northampton County)

Here's some info on the longer barrelled models. I have examples, in my collection of the ones listed below, except for the very last TARGET SS model...
    [QUOTE=Pizza Bob;1282341] After your post I got curious and did some cursory research, and I could find absolutely no mention of a 6" CA revolver - with fixed or adjustable sights. Even a 4" with fixed sights would be an oddity. CA made their reputation on affordable, well made but not necessarily well finished, snub-nose revolvers. The Target Bulldogs, then as now, were/are the only guns that I know of with barrels longer than 2" - and they were all 4" w/adjustable sights.
    The fixed sight 6" tapered barrel piece was simply known as the BULLDOG .357 MAGNUM and appears to have been the first CA production model chambered for the .357 Mag cartridge. It appears to have had a fairly short production life and was eventually replaced by the TRACKER Model offered with 2.5", 4" and 6" Bull barrelled 5 shooters with rear fully adjustable sights. Earlier production pieces with 6" barrels were the PATHFINDER in .22lr and .22 WMRF - both of which had tapered barrels and adjustable rear sights and were also offered with 2" and 3" barrels. The UNDERCOVER was also offered with a 3" tapered barrel and fixed sights - these are very uncommon, I own two examples. The last iteration (circa 1989-90) of the TARGET model was offered in Stainless Steel, had a 5.5" underlugged barrel with adjustable rear sights. I have the last CA Corp. catalogue issued before the switch over to CHARCO (Charter Arms Co. which is the 2nd Gen. and has ANSONIA CONN. as the barrel address, circa 1991) which lists this TARGET Model - but I have never seen one, either live or on the net. The original TARGET .44s and .357 Mags. are fairly commonly found.

When I initially responded to this thread I didn't realize that it was two years old and had been revived by one poster. At this point it would be great if the OP would step in and tell us what they have found in their more extensive research.
    I've been neglecting my research for the past 6 or 7 months, but with input from folks like you all, I hope to have enough data to revise the Charter Arms section of the "BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES" by Steve Fjestad for the 32nd Edition, 2011. I'm already a contributing editor for H&R firearms for the "BLUE BOOK"...research is tough to do...LOL
    Jim Hauff
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; August 7th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I also saw a Charter Arms 44 special that was so small it looked like it held only 3 rounds (just kidding) but I was thinking damn I
    Besides the BD PUG with the 2.5" barrel, there was also a 5 shot Stainless Steel BULL DOG with a 2.5" bull barrel with recessed muzzle - I have and carry one of these - they don't show up very often. Recoil is stout, but not unbearable due to the fairly low chamber pressure of the .44 Special round. All the .44 revolvers are/were built on the Bull Dog/large frame, with the only difference being in barrel length and grip panels.
    wouldn't want to fire that thing.
    It was a lot smaller then there well though of 44 Bull dog. I like Charter Armss in 38spl.
    The original idea behind the CHARTER ARMS CORP. UNDERCOVER and all the subsequent models - was to produce a lower cost, high quality revolver that would appeal to the "blue collar/working man" and fit into his price range. I believe they suceeded in doing so. The design is/was strong - no side plate and minimal cylinder crane frame intrusion - and simple - fewer moving parts than most other firearms. The designer, Doug McClennahan, who founded the company in 1964, had previously worked for Colt's PAT. FA Co, High Standard and Ruger as a design engineer. Many of the features found on the CA revolvers were derived from designs he had come-up with for those companies, who were not interested in producing his UNDERCOVER model.
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; August 7th, 2010 at 02:30 PM.

Hi,

I have a stainless CA 38sp Serial # 694914 purchased in 1981 in Houston.
    Like new, haven't fired it since the eary 1980s. Will shoot it tomorrow!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike26 View Post
    Hi,

I have a stainless CA 38sp Serial # 694914 purchased in 1981 in Houston.
    Like new, haven't fired it since the eary 1980s. Will shoot it tomorrow!
    Thanks for the info. Is it an UNDERCOVER or OFF DUTY?
    Jim

Sorry, it is an Undercover.
    Mike26

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike26 View Post
    Sorry, it is an Undercover.
    Mike26
    Thanks, Mike. I've entered your info into my data base.
    FYI, Stainless steel Undercovers were first offered in April of 1981 - the first SS guns made by Charter Arms Corp.

Jim Hauff

I have an older (1964-1970) Charter Arms Corp. model Undercover .38 SPL that was manufactured in Bridgeport, Conn. The serial number is 273XXX. The pistol was originally my father’s so unfortunately I do not know when or where he purchased it. He was not in Law Enforcement but I do believe he told me he purchased it from a friend of his that was at one time in Law Enforcement. It is still in pretty good condition with only minimal wear & tear for a 40-46 year old pistol. The wood grips are in excellent condition. It fires as straight as any pistol I have. I noticed it does have the safety bar that sits between the firing pin and hammer similar to my Colt King Cobra .357. I have kept it cleaned and put away since his passing 10 years ago. I am attaching 2 pictures of it for reference. The last 3 numbers of the serial number have been covered so don't mistake it for having 273 as the serial number. Hope this helps in your research.

(Northampton County)

Thanks, Pistolpacker:
    I've entered your data into my database. Every little bit helps.
    Jim Hauff

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast