Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Charter Arms Research

Quote Originally Posted by Matazel View Post
    Not sure if this is a Undercover or a Undercoverette. As you can see in the scans the manual says "Undercover" and shows an exact image of the gun I have. The back page has a picture of a "Undercoverette" and it looks exactly the same. .....

So is it a Undercover or a Undercoverette ? And when was it made ?
    "Undercover" was chambered in 38 SPECIAL

"Undercoverette" in 32 SPECIAL.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Berks County)

I have a blued undercover .38 with a Stratford address, Ser.# 6993xx. I bought it used along with a shotgun a few years ago with no paperwork included.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a Bulldog, 6" barrel, blued, .357 Magnum, fixed sights #996xx, five shot. My father bought it for me about thirty some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by muffler man View Post
    I have a Bulldog, 6" barrel, blued, .357 Magnum, fixed sights #996xx, five shot. My father bought it for me about thirty some years ago.
    Are you sure this is a Charter Arms? I don't think they ever made a 6" barrelled revolver and any of the longer barrelled guns (4") were termed "Target" models and had adjustable sights. The serial number would be awfully early, so who knows? How about a picture?

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

That's a great idea! I've always wondered how old mine was!

Its Bridgeport CONN., 2inch Barell Undercover 38 SPL 5 Shot. Serial # 858XX with very odd mate finish. I bought it in 2006/07 don't remember exactly.
    DODGE the father RAM the daughter

We bleed black & gold

(Philadelphia County)

Pizza Bob, Sorry about some of my statements. I do have a 6" bulldog with fixed sights, but the serial number is 3996xx. I have a set of rubber grips on it and it was covering the first number. About three or four year after my father bought the gun, a friend of mine liked the gun so much he when and bought one. His was the 6" barrel with adjustable sights and was called the Target Bulldog. I will try to get a picture posted. It does have the Stratford Conn. address. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by muffler man View Post
    Pizza Bob, Sorry about some of my statements. I do have a 6" bulldog with fixed sights, but the serial number is 3996xx. I have a set of rubber grips on it and it was covering the first number. About three or four year after my father bought the gun, a friend of mine liked the gun so much he when and bought one. His was the 6" barrel with adjustable sights and was called the Target Bulldog. I will try to get a picture posted. It does have the Stratford Conn. address. Joe
    I'll be anxious to see your pics. After your post I got curious and did some cursory research, and I could find absolutely no mention of a 6" CA revolver - with fixed or adjustable sights. Even a 4" with fixed sights would be an oddity. CA made their reputation on affordable, well made but not necessarily well finished, snub-nose revolvers. The Target Bulldogs, then as now, were/are the only guns that I know of with barrels longer than 2" - and they were all 4" w/adjustable sights.

When I initially responded to this thread I didn't realize that it was two years old and had been revived by one poster. At this point it would be great if the OP would step in and tell us what they have found in their more extensive research.

One thing muffler man: I know a lot of the younger shooters (read that under 40) are not real familiar with revolvers. Just want to make sure that you are aware that on a revolver barrel length is measured from the end of the barrel to the face of the cylinder - not the breech-face. With autoloaders it is from the end of the barrel to the breech-face.

I look forward to your post.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Charter Arms have a interesting selection of snub nose revolvers they have always been lightweight and compact. The price is reasonable compared to a Smith poly, alloy barrel 357 mag I looked at for $1095.00 (there were some cheaper Smith then that $399-$425) the Charters were around ($285-$360) about what the Taurus cost.

I also saw a Charter Arms 44 special that was so small it looked like it held only 3 rounds (just kidding) but I was thinking damn I wouldn't want to fire that thing.
    It was a lot smaller then there well though of 44 Bull dog. I like Charter Armss in 38spl.

(Philadelphia County)

I guess what Charter Arms calls a 6" barrel is really a 5 1/2" barrel. Joe

(Philadelphia County)

I'm having trouble posting pictures, can anyone help? Joe

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast