Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Charter Arms Research

Doc,
    RIGHT NOW, my data indicates the BRIDGEPORT address was replaced by the STRATFORD address - around s/n 315K, with a couple hold overs as older barrels were worked into the system. MY data indicates the switch happened sometime in 1974 - so I agree with your date assessment.
    The majority of the those Bridgeport guns that I've seen live up to the same fit and finish and action you have found.
    My records indicate your box should have a yellow main color with tan/light brown features - does that match your box?
    I can't say for certain that values on these gun will ever rise to "collectible" levels - but since you asked - I shoot it occasionally to enjoy the feel and keep it well cared for. They are nice guns.
    Pics of full left and right sides will be great - there isn't much else (other than right barrel stampings) that indicate other than standard production.
    Thanks for the info - looking forward to seeing your pics.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

Red face Re: Charter Arms Research

Hello to the Forum and to 32 Mag.

Just this morning I bought a Charter Arms revolver with a four digit serial number, 83xx if my memory serves correctly. Three day waiting period here in Illinois so I'll have better info in a few days when I have the gun in my hands. It is blue, in great condition and in the original box. I'll have to assume it is from the first or second year of production. 32 Mag, do you have many early guns in your data base? I'll be able to post some decent pics towards the end of the week.

In the meantime, how about a pic of the Off Duty I've owned quite a few years? No concealed carry here in Illinois, so this one has been my trunk gun since I've had it. I have other Ruger and Colt snubbies, but this has been my trunk gun because it is "just a Charter". (Boy, that sounds kinda snobby....) It is a good solid gun and shoots flawlessly. It is still in great shape with flat black finish and a bit of a turn ring. S/N 10469xx

Clyde

(Northampton County)

ElectraClyde,
    Welcome to the forum. A CA revolver (most likely an UNDERCOVER with a four digit s/n in the 8K range will definitely be a 1st year of production - my research currently indicates the first year of prod. would have begun in early 1965 - but there is an outside chance that some guns may have been made in very late 1964. I currently have data on 16 very early, serial number range 336 to 22192, all UnderCover pieces. From what I see, your NEW gun will have: no barrel address (though made in BRIDGEPORT CONN), the serial number will be stamped at the lower right of the right side of the frame, and should probably have the "Charter Oak" tree embossed on the grip medllions. Finsh will be blue, barrel will be 1 7/8" or 3" and it should be a 5 shot .38 SPECIAL.
    The piece you have pictured is a very late Undercover with the shrouded barrel (shroud is aluminum as is the triggerguard/grip frame assembly) and the final box configuration in YELLOW. The successor to CA Inc. was CA Co. called CHARCO and used a RED box. most likely made in very late 1989 or very early 1990. So, you will have a very early and a very late UNDERCOVER in your collection. I would very much like to have the full serial numbers to your guns to add to my data base (e-mail to bobell01@aol.com or us the PM feature on this site. Also will enjoy seeing pics of the barrel marking (both sides) and the box including end label of your new OLD UC when available.
    Thanks for posting this info - it sure helps my data base.
    Jim Hauff

Thanks Jim, for all the info. I don't know it it makes any difference to your research, but my current black revolver is marked on the barrel Off Duty, not Undercover and it is also marked Stratford. I'll send you both serial numbers once I get my hands on the other gun.

Clyde

(Northampton County)

Clyde,
    You're welcome.
    Info on the OFF DUTY (OD): in the early 1980's CA decided to dress up their revolvers and began doing excellent fitting and finishing on all their revolver models. The shine on the finish was top grade. Due to the extra fine work - the cost of production went up and along with that - the RETAIL price escalated. Soon enough CA began receiving complaints (in gun mag articles and letters to the editor as well as letters and calls at their offices) complaining about the price increases. According to some contemporary sources, the NEW dressed-up prices had risen to about 2/3rds the cost of a comparable or roughly comparable S&W revolver.
    To quiet down the complaints, in 1983 CA began offering the OFF DUTY models - one in matte stainles steel and the other in bead blasted black finish (CA called it their "military finish") and reduced the prices of those OD models to the previous prices. People were happy and bought a lot of the OD guns. CA posted in their advertising that the OD was identical to the UC in operation and function - but was less costly due to the new finishes. All of the early ODs will have a red bead inserted into the front sight blade.
    Grips for ANY CA model are interchangeable with ANY other model and therefore can be swapped from any gun to any gun or purchased as replacements.
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; February 14th, 2012 at 04:45 PM.

OK Jim, here are some pics of the four digit gun. It also came with some oversized Herretts grips and a Brauer Bros holster. Left of barrel is marked "UNDERCOVER .38 SPL." and right is marked "CHARTER ARMS CORP.".

I got the gun from an old boy in his 80's. He helped a lady pick out the gun back in the 60's. She put it in a drawer and never shot it, and recently asked the guy to sell it for her.

I really like their slogon "A Pound of Prevention". Any idea how long that was used? And something just doesn't seem right having a gun manufacturer on Asylum Street! And yes, I realize I blocked the S/N on the gun, but not on the box. It's too late and I'm too tired to take more pics.......

Clyde

(Northampton County)

DANG Clyde -
    You got yourself a real collectible there. I've never seen a box for those earliest pieces - a great bit of info to know. All the markings are the same as the other early pieces I've logged in the data base. That one is in EXCELLENT CONDITION - very nice find. Thanks for sharing the pics and the info. DANG! CA used that "pound of prevention" slogan in their earliest catalogues - of course advertising that the Under Cover was the lightest (16 oz.) and smallest, dimentionally, 5 shot .38 in existence at the time.
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; February 16th, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

Jim, I sent you a PM with the S/N of the black gun in the yellow box.

Clyde

(Northampton County)

Clyde - got it and replied, thanks.

If you are still looking for information, here is mine.
    Blue 3" stamped Bridgeport Conn. S/N xxx545
    Last edited by billymac296; March 12th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast