Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Probation and guns/ammo in the house

My 21-year-old niece (who has lived with us since she was 7) made a horrible choice and was arrested for DUI back in January. This past week she had her day in court and was placed on probation for six months; the terms include "no firearms or deadly weapons" in the residence. Also includes ammo. I spoke with her Probation Officer and she made it clear that even a bank vault wouldn't be good enough -- they have to be out of the house altogether.

As bad as that is, they also gave her a "Firearm Verification Report" that requires the address where they have been stored AND a list of the guns, with a "Complete Item Description" for each and noting that "Serial Number for firearms is mandatory." It has to be signed by both of us, and they expect it to be returned to the PO next week. If there was a reasonable alternative she'd be moving out, but that's not realistic. Looks like I'll spend Sunday storing my guns at a friend's house (Happy Fathers Day). The list of guns is especially troubling, though my handguns are all in the PSP's registry-that-is-not-a-registry anyway.

Default Re: Probation and guns/ammo in the house

I don't get it. If they are requiring that no guns are in her place of residence, then why the inventory of guns? You have to remove the guns from the residence. Presuming you do that, what guns need to be inventoried?
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    I don't get it. If they are requiring that no guns are in her place of residence, then why the inventory of guns? You have to remove the guns from the residence. Presuming you do that, what guns need to be inventoried?
    Ya thats seems wrong, if you basically have a signed affidavit that the firearms are moved from the home, the serials should be irrelevant i would think.

(Chester County)

I was just thinking the same thing.
    Regards Robert
    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~Thomas Jefferson

(York County)

Something smells with that deal. I was on probate and I didnt have to do that and the guns were mine. I would say they are at a friends and the second thing is they will have to check out your house anyways, so make sure there is no booze in the house too. I've heard of the sheriff coming and taking the guns and then you have to fight to get them back. I wouldn't let them know where or what the # are.

So, even if the guns are in a safe that only you have the combo/keys for... that's not good?

She made the choice that resulted in either her or your guns leaving your house.

If you'd been given the choice, I'm sure you'd have opted for her to not drink and drive.

Time for your niece to get an apartment. Unless she's a paraplegic, this is a realistic option.

(Westmoreland County)

All of that BS just for a DUI? Seems really harsh for a non-violent crime. The probation requirements must vary greatly county to county.

I just don't get it here. I know several people who had a DUI, and never heard about this requirement. One guy told me he was not allowed to buy guns or go hunting while on probation/ARD, but never had to empty the house or give a list.

Something else must be going on. Did she crash and injure someone, or cause major $$ in property damage? Plow into a police cruiser or ambulance/fire truck?

Sounds like a back-door attempt at gun registry.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Mercer County)

If it were me the niece would be moved to an apartment for 6 months.

If I couldn't find an apartment at a reasonable cost she would be taking out a college loan & enrolling in college to become a dorm rat.

Good luck with the problem---If I were the "friend", I would give serious thought to signing anything or storing your firearms. I can see the cops getting a warrant and wanting to see all your firearms to check on the serial numbers and make sure they arrived safely/and while they are snooping around demand your friend provide proof that he owns any firearms not on your list.

I would talk to my FFL dealer and see if he would store them for you at a reasonable price. This would solve any and all problems.
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; June 17th, 2011 at 12:28 PM.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

OP, that is odd that you are going through this. My aunt is on probation and living with my parents. Her PO did a home visit and had a fit about the locked guns AND the one my dad routinely carries. PO said the guns had to go. My dad said, and I quote, "Kiss my ass, she is on probation not me. This is my house and these are my guns and they will stay right here. If you don't like that you can get out and take her (my aunt) with you". The PO's attitude changed and said that the guns, except the ones being carried had to be locked up and she couldn't have access to the keys.
    Last edited by acosenza2; June 17th, 2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Holy spelling errors Batman
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast