Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Probation and guns/ammo in the house

Move all of your guns and ammo out of the house until she passes her class and had the DUI expunged. Or help her move. Only choices you have. Once the house is empty of guns, you can list all of the SNs on the form that are in the house. Which will be none. None oftheir business where your guns are so long as they aren't where the niece is.

Now an aside... DUI is one of those nasty gray areas where everyone clashes over the seriousness of the crime and punishment. Most people are all for crucifying DUI perps. Right up until they or someone they know gets rung up for being .08% BAC after having 2 beers and driving "safely" home 2 miles from the restaurant. Should those people be treated the same as Johnny Walker who was .3% swerving around the highway and running down lawn ornaments? Is it worse to be .1% and not wreck that to be cold sober and crash into a bus full of kids because you were on a cell phone?

Every person here knows someone who can drink 900 beers and seem perfectly sober. Same for knowing people who drink 1 glass of wine and can barely walk a straight line. Hell, I know people who shouldn't drive SOBER. Is the guy who drank a six pack a day his whole life driving home > .08% more dangerous than the soccer mom who had a glass of merlot and can barely get her minivan into the garage?

For me, I think .08% is probably a bit too low, and I don't think it makes the roads any safer than when it was .1%. But I don't know what I'd do that was any better if it were my choice to make. Driving drunk is clearly detrimental to society. I know people who've been killed by drunk drivers, and so do you. It is a nasty problem.

(York County)

Do what you want, but no PO would ever know what guns I have, or where they are. Not their business. Tell em to take the SN paper and shove it!
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Bucks County)

if a single DUI doesn't prohibit you from purchasing a gun how is it you have to move all your guns out the house because she got a DUI????

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    if a single DUI doesn't prohibit you from purchasing a gun how is it you have to move all your guns out the house because she got a DUI????
    The conditions that probationee agrees to makes it a requirement upon that person. Its not a legal burden of the OP, but of his niece. Since he value's his niece's legal situations, he is taking it upon his self to vacate the house of guns.

To get probation, which is community controlled supervision instead of jail/prison, you must agree to the terms of probation. That can include just about any condition that the judge or probation office demands, like: no drinking, no going to places that serve alcohol, no weapons, being in your home by 10pm unless you are going to/from work or at work, or many other options.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

guns? what guns? i dont have any guns.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    It is the fact she is on probation. The terms of probation and the ban on guns in the residence are pretty standard.

To the OP, In Lebanon County, they do not require an accounting of specific weapons. I don't see why you just can't take them out of the house and tell the probation department to pound sand, as YOU are not the one on probation.

Give her walking papers. Its time to grow up.

(Allegheny County)

does deadly weapons include kitchen knives or chainsaws or hedge trimmers or baseball bats or sledgehammers or claw hammers or hypodermic syringes or cast iron frying pans.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    does deadly weapons include kitchen knives or chainsaws or hedge trimmers or baseball bats or sledgehammers or claw hammers or hypodermic syringes or cast iron frying pans.
    Ha Ha funny you say that, I had to take my bow out of my house. The whole probation system stinks, You cant have alcohol in the house yet you can drink other places as long as your bac is .05 or less..... hhmmmmm go out and drink or stay home and drink. And the fun part is trying to be left alone when your done, I had to fight to get off of it when i was done ... I learned my lesson ...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    OP, that is odd that you are going through this. My aunt is on probation and living with my parents. Her PO did a home visit and had a fit about the locked guns AND the one my dad routinely carries. PO said the guns had to go. My dad said, and I quote, "Kiss my ass, she is on probation not me. This is my house and these are my guns and they will stay right here. If you don't like that you can get out and take her (my aunt) with you". The PO's attitude changed and said that the guns, except the ones being carried had to be locked up and she couldn't have access to the keys.
    If your response is not this one, you are part of the problem we have as firearm owners.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast