Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Senator Judy Schwank (D-11) Holds Gun Safety Event

http://www.senatorschwank.com/senato...n-safety-event

Senator Schwank Holds Gun Safety Event
    On June 16, 2011

Reading, June 16, 2011– State Sen. Judy Schwank (D-Berks) joined with several law enforcement officials today to hold a gun safety event at her district office. The event was intended to promote safe handling and storing of personal firearms.

“Proper storage and handling of firearms, especially in homes with small children, is crucial,” Schwank said. “It is my hope that through this event and the information we provide here today, more gun owners can keep their families safe through proper gun storage.”

At the event, Sen. Schwank and Berks County District Attorney John Adams discussed the importance of properly securing guns with a gun lock.

“Too often we find ourselves investigating incidents where a gun accidentally discharged resulting in the loss of life or a limb,” Adams said. “These accidents could easily be prevented by the use of a gunlock.”

The chief county detective, Michael J. Gombar, provided a demonstration of how gunlocks work, and several other law enforcement officials discussed how important this effort is based on their experiences in their respective jurisdictions.

“Often firearm accidents in the home are the result of improper and unsecure firearm storage,” Schwank said. “This is risky and can result in the possibility of a child finding a loaded firearm and doing themselves or someone else serious bodily harm.”

Schwank added that when storing a firearm, owners should always:

Make sure the gun is not loaded;
    Clean the gun properly;
    Use a trigger lock; and
    Store guns in a secure place away from children.

She added that the installation of gun locking devices is very important. Free gun locks were distributed to attendees at the event and are available free charge at Sen. Schwank’s District Office (1940 N. 13th St., Suite 232, Reading), the District Attorney’s Office in the County Services Center, and at various police stations around the county.

Gunlocks were provided by Project ChildSafe, a nationwide program whose purpose is to promote safe firearms handling and storage practices among all firearms owners through the distribution of key safety education messages and free gun locking devices.

“All citizens who own guns, especially if there are children in the home, should have a gun lock,” Schwank said. “Gun locks are a great way to prevent the tragedy of accidental shootings in the home. This will make it that much easier to keep your guns safe.”

Senator Schwank stated that with more children being home on summer break, it was an important time to hold an event like this.

Also participating in the event were Berks County First Assistant District Attorney M. Theresa Johnson, Reading Deputy Police Chief Mark Talbot, Sr., and Detective Joseph Brown, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 71.
    I think this was mentioned in the Castle Doctrine thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ml#post1629735

Did anyone get to attend this? Does anyone have any knowledge or experience about where she stands?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Senator Judy Schwank (D-11) Holds Gun Safety Event

Senator Schwank when running in special election in spring 2011 didn’t make the time or wouldn’t fill out & return the FOAC questionnaire(s) sent to her campaign HQ.

So we have no idea of her position.

Looks like first vote is going to be HB 40 Castle Doctrine in the senate.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Lehigh County)

Well since I made it I'll give my thoughts. Overall I have no problem with the overriding message of personal responsibility.

On the table were four guns, two sem-automatic pistols & a revolver, and a .22 semi-automatic rifle (looked like a ruger, but I couldn't confirm the make).

The demonstration was awkward, as the detective began by talking about how we should never point even an unloaded gun at anything we don't intend to destroy, and then subsequently pointed the firearm at himself.

I disagree with parts of the message, but overall I was glad to not here any pressing for "safe storage" laws or other such measures, and the Senator even stated to me that she believes current law is sufficient in that regard.

Also, given the comments that too many people are "untrained" I was a bit taken aback when the detective referred to the semi-auto .22 as a bolt-action, and after fumbling with the rifle admitted he didn't know "how the action works".

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    Also, given the comments that too many people are "untrained" I was a bit taken aback when the detective referred to the semi-auto .22 as a bolt-action, and after fumbling with the rifle admitted he didn't know "how the action works".
    all cops are experts on all firearms right?

it would have probably sent the wrong message if they had gotten someone from the industry or an nra instructor to participate.

im sure that shooting club reps or gun dealers or even manufacturer reps would have gladly participated in something like that.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    all cops are experts on all firearms right?
    Ha.

it would have probably sent the wrong message if they had gotten someone from the industry or an nra instructor to participate.

im sure that shooting club reps or gun dealers or even manufacturer reps would have gladly participated in something like that.
    I don't know anything about the group that provided the locks, but given my brief conversation with the Senator afterwards it's entirely possible a future event with the NRA and/or other firearms groups could be in order.

Oh, she also mentioned that she supports castle doctrine, we'll find out for sure when the vote comes up.

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

From the Reading Eagle:
    http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=315022
    "Schwank admitted to not being a gun expert but said even she knows all guns should be unloaded, cleaned, locked and stored in a secure place where children can't get to them. She said she took a riflery class in college and enjoyed it. But, she added, she owns no guns."

Schwank is a media whore-----------who would sooner ban them then support the 2nd...............

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohn26 View Post
    From the Reading Eagle:
    http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=315022
    "Schwank admitted to not being a gun expert but said even she knows all guns should be unloaded, cleaned, locked and stored in a secure place where children can't get to them. She said she took a riflery class in college and enjoyed it. But, she added, she owns no guns."

Schwank is a media whore-----------who would sooner ban them then support the 2nd...............
    Unless you've got anything from her espousing anti-second amendment views go troll elsewhere.

Not all democrats are anti-second amendment, and this is especially true in PA.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohn26 View Post
    Maybe so, but as long as she isn't trying to do so, I'll support events like this.

I'm no fan of the NRA, but fully support their Eddie Eagle program.

(Monroe County)

I'm all for gun safety, but this quote makes me uneasy...

“Too often we find ourselves investigating incidents where a gun accidentally discharged resulting in the loss of life or a limb,”

"Too Often"... exactly how often. The last time I checked the statistics there was less then 800 accidental shooting deaths a year in the United States.... which is a very small number compared to 60,000 annual fatal car accidents.

More kids drown in pools every year then die from a firearm related accidents.
    It would be great if the number of annual gun accidents can be reduced to zero, but I am suspicious of a hidden anti-gun agenda Schwank might have.
    Last edited by tsafa; June 21st, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Now if she was really interested in us safely securing our guns how about making gun safe's tax free? Or better yet find a way to give us financial aid to buy them? They give money for just about everything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast