Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 1st Annual Patrol Rifle Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreOp4 View Post
    Any update on round 2? This lack of a winter has got me ready to start shootin more frequently.
    Think of the event last year, what do you guys want to see more of, less of, and is there anything we should keep the same?

Feel free to email me if you want.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Think of the event last year, what do you guys want to see more of, less of, and is there anything we should keep the same?
    I wasn't able to attend last year, but will try to this year.

From what I could see on nomoreop4's youtube videos it looked like an excellent match with a good variety of short and mid range targets. I only shoot irons and really enjoy difficult targets.

If you didn't have any 200 to 300 yard shots required to be shot from SBU or any rollover prone variations, I would love to see some. The mastering of these positions is only evident @ 150+ yards.

I also like to see barricades/cover (whether natural terrain features or man-made) that you can't "cheat" from.--- unlike barrels. If using a barrel as a barricade I like to see another feature that prevents one from leaning out too far.

I also like to see obstructions/hard cover in line of sight that will deflect or stop a bullet (dirt berm etc if safe for the layout of the range in use) or a temporary "shootable" wall (coroplast etc) that you can score the penalty hit from.

Of course this makes more work for the set-up crew. If I have any ideas that involve less work I'll let you know too.

Window problem: if you shoot the frame it was a penalty coroplast works better than cardboard though.

forced sbu (opening is less than 3") shooter physically can't shoot with rifle in upright postions, sights and scopes would be blocked

forced rollover prone (although I actually raised the "bumper" as you can see toward the right for this event because there were some new shooters on that day.

Last edited by john doe; March 28th, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
    Because I can't fit Catman in my pocket.

(Allegheny County)

MTE Tactical has some videos, I did force prone and roll over last time, those are keepers for sure. I like the window idea... Putting the brain to work...
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

To bad my 6920 (first rifle) will not be in until "Mid-April". This souds like a great event.

(Allegheny County)

It will be late summer and we are looking into having loaner/rental guns available.

(Allegheny County)

It will be late summer and we are looking into having loaner/rental guns available.
    OK someone call Kent State for me and tell them im sending my diploma back. If I can't tell April from August and 2011 from 2012 I can't be trusted to use the phone. Hopefully I can manage the postage and the address myself.
    Last edited by QuackXP; March 29th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.

(Perry County)

One suggestion is that you might have one stage where it would be optional to transition to a handgun rather than reload? Not required to have a handgun, but a realistic choice.

(Allegheny County)

That would be ideal although for simplicity in running the match and allowing anyone to sign up no transitions makes a lot of sense. We will have some pistol shooting for those wishing to participate though. New thread will be coming soon, gotta iron the details out and send them to the web guy.

Awesome! Can't wait.

(Allegheny County)

That would be ideal although for simplicity in running the match and allowing anyone to sign up no transitions makes a lot of sense. We will have some pistol shooting for those wishing to participate though. New thread will be coming soon, gotta iron the details out and send them to the web guy.
    Please link the new thread here so I don't miss it. This sounds like fun!

Last edited by DaveM55; May 3rd, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast