Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default M-44 Scope mount - Is it worth it?

So i have 4-9X scope thats just chilling on my desk.
    I figure I can use it on my M-44.
    I looked around and they make inexpensive scope base for those guns(@ around $15~25).
    Those replace rear sight, and requires no permanent moddification to the gun.
    But it'll require long eye releafe scope, which mine isn't. And i was told that they aren't very sturdy.

Then there are scope base that requires me to cut bolt handle, attach new one, and drill and tap the reciever, so that I can mount scope more conventional spot.
    There for allows me to use the scope I have.

But it'll require me to seek Xring's help as it needs gun to be drill and tapped(and above mentioned bolt handle mod). So this would in end cost me alot more then what I paid for the gun in the first place. Not to mention this type of kits are around $60~$80.

So what you guys think? Is M44 worth all this trouble? I mean i don't care about gun being modified permanently, as i can always pick another one up if needs to be..
    I mean its fun to shoot, but I never tried to see how accurate it shoots.
    I bought it because if manly sound and huge fireball it spits out when fired...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: M-44 Scope mount - Is it worth it?

I'm never for modifying any form of surplus firearm, just not worth it to me in the long run. That being said, it's your gun and you can do what you want with it. The tapped mount is a lot more secure overall.

Tell you what, I have the rear sight replacement mount here. If you make it to a group shoot it's your for $10 if you want it. I used a red dot and was getting good groups and very good speed (5 rounds on target in under 10 seconds)

(Chester County)

Personally, I wouldn't put a scope on it. The issue isn't necessarily with the weapon itself, more with the ammunition it uses. Cheap, mil surplus isn't the most accurate of ammo... not to mention most of the stuff is 40+ years old. You can buy modern 7.62x54r for it, but I've never been keen to spend cash on ammo that is more expensive than the gun!

That being said, it is your rifle. Do with it what you please. This is a fantastic link of a guy who converted an old M44 into a 'modern' scout carbine- http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ifle/index.asp

If you do make any modifications to your rifle, be sure to post pics!
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Chester County)

I moded my yugo M24/47 mauser with a ATI stock and 2x-7x long eye relief scope.
    it's working out great. i say do it to your m44 if it's not going to cost your a arm and leg. a rear sight scope mount you can buy for about $15. you do get better group at longer range with a scope if you sight it in right.
    Is not safe. Is gun