Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Transfer from PA to OH, Father to son.

Sorry if this was asked before, I searched and did not see an exact answer. My Father is terminally ill and wants to transfer his gun collection to me. He resides in PA and I live in OH. I am over 21 and have no crimnal record. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to accomplish this? I would really like to keep them. Hand guns, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders. I have seen a lot of references to an FFL on some other posts and do not know what that is either.
    Thanks for any help. Joe

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Transfer from PA to OH, Father to son.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow24 View Post
    Sorry if this was asked before, I searched and did not see an exact answer. My Father is terminally ill and wants to transfer his gun collection to me. He resides in PA and I live in OH. I am over 21 and have no crimnal record. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to accomplish this? I would really like to keep them. Hand guns, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders. I have seen a lot of references to an FFL on some other posts and do not know what that is either.
    Thanks for any help. Joe
    Interstate transfers of firearms (across state lines) require going through an FFL (Federally Firearms Licensee) and I'm pretty sure there is no exception for father/son or inheritence type things, but I am not 100% sure on the second part.

My suggestion would be to call a few local gun shops and see what they charge to do out of state transfers and specifically ask if they can work something out with you on the price for multiple transfers. Once you've found an FFL to work with your father will have to have a copy of the dealers FFL mailed or faxed to him. Once he has received the FFL he can verify it on the ATF's FFL eZ Check website. Once verified he can ship the firearms to the address on the FFL. Once received the FFL in your state will do the transfers to you.

That is my understanding of the process, but someone else may be able to share more details.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Check with Todd from gunrunnersofpa.com. (he is also on this forum as gunrunnersofpa.)

Todd runs a home-based FFL business and specializes in interstate transfers of firearms purchased over the internet, but it seems like he could help you out, too.

Todd is a great guy. You won't find better service or a lower price for doing the transfer.

(He is located in North Versailles.)

(ETA: FFL is short for Federal Firearms License. An "FFL" is a gun dealer who can legal transfer ownership of a firearm from one person to another.)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    Check with Todd from gunrunnersofpa.com. (he is also on this forum as gunrunnersofpa.)

Todd runs a home-based FFL business and specializes in interstate transfers of firearms purchased over the internet, but it seems like he could help you out, too.

Todd is a great guy. You won't find better service or a lower price for doing the transfer.

(He is located in North Versailles.)

(ETA: FFL is short for Federal Firearms License. An "FFL" is a gun dealer who can legal transfer ownership of a firearm from one person to another.)
    Unfortunately the guns need to go FROM Pennsylvania TO Ohio so Todd won't be of much help in the actual transfer. Maybe he can provide information though.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Would'nt this fall under living will? If the guns belong to the son because the Father gave them, the new owner can enjoy the same peacable journey as the old owner would, you don't need to transfer guns from father to son, you dont need to transfer guns to your self. As long as the new owner (son) is in PA. when he takes posession, and has proof they where "given" from the father, I would think no FFL would be needed. At least that is how I read it in the law. As always using precaution is always a good Idea. But i would probably ask more a Sheriff or lawyer about the specifics.
    If you as a PA resident move to Ohio, you would not need to transfer them through a FFL. So what makes a non resident different if they become the owner? I would think as long as he takes posession of them in PA as a "gift" from Father to Son, the same laws would apply.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Blood To Blood *(Father To Son/Daughter),Spouse 100% Go.

And I thought your Dad gave you that collection years back when you still lived in PA.

Todd Of Gunrunners in N.Versailles is a great guy and maybe only 2-3 miles away from me.

John
    John McCaw
    FFL/SOT2
    JCD Tactical LE Sales
    White Oak, PA 15131-2104
    412 980-1233

(Cambria County)

After my Dad passed away, my Mom brought me several of his guns from California. I checked into doing a transfer here, but since it was my Mom giving them to me, NO paperwork was required (parent to child transfer) even though she was from out of state. . Not sure what Ohio's laws are, so it would be best to check with your LEO there in Ohio as to their regulations. These things vary from state to state. No problem on the PA end, but can't say for Ohio.
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by John@JCDLESales View Post
    Blood To Blood *(Father To Son/Daughter),Spouse 100% Go.

And I thought your Dad gave you that collection years back when you still lived in PA.

Todd Of Gunrunners in N.Versailles is a great guy and maybe only 2-3 miles away from me.

John

John,

Glad to see you here! I've been pimpimg your name out to everyone asking about a Class 3 dealer.

BTW: John is Right on the money with Parent/Child Transfer.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Allegheny County)

Hey buddy thank you for the Pimp Ink

When you have time come on over for a visit anytime. Would be nice to go play MG's before the weather goes Teets Up.

John
    John McCaw
    FFL/SOT2
    JCD Tactical LE Sales
    White Oak, PA 15131-2104
    412 980-1233

Hey all,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've got my answer.
    Appreciate the help.
    Joe