Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Proper way to clean pistol?

I will blast the piss outta the inside with a non-chlorine brake spray or Simple Green and steam. Hit it with WD-40 to remove all water, shake it out, wipe it down and let it dry. Then hit the rest with oil where it needs it. For the slide I will blast it with the same brake spray or steam and Simple Green, WD-40, then the appropriate oil. Takes about 3 minutes of actual work.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Armstrong County)

a cleaning video for the ppks .380 would be ideal for me. i'm requesting someone on youtube right now, hope he'll follow through.

(Schuylkill County)

I like to start with a little Barry Manilow "Never gonna give you up" Next up is field strip. Hoppes #9 for the ladies and Keystone light for myself. Brush then patch till clean. Light rem oil on all metal on metal contact points. Put back together and wipe down with silcon rag. I clean no matter what 1 round or 1,000 doesnt matter to me. I enjoy quiet time with them anyway.

(Blair County)

Pull slide back.....dip copper brush into solvent bottle....run it thru the barrel 5 or 6 times....run a dry patch thru to pick up solvent and crud.....put 1 drop of oil on patch and run it into barrel a few times....reload pistol.
    Maybe 1 time per year Ill take it apart to clean and inspect.
    Then again I try not to shoot wwb or other dirty ammo.

(Allegheny County)

I buy micro fiber towels in bulk from Amazon. I wipe down the frame with a dry towel and remove all the bullet dirt. Spray barrel with rem oil, scrub with copper bore brush, wipe down. Spray slide with rem oil scrub with nylon brush, wipe down. Then I drip some rem oil on the slide rails and wipe down.

(Montgomery County)

Cleaning a pistol is an art for me. I like to use a combination of bore snakes (which are gods gift to this world), q tips, toothbrush, rags or patches, and a soft metal brush. I found that golf club metal brushes are softer then most and they dont skuff up the finish especially on a revolver cylinder. Once in a while ill do a full strip just to clean all the grit on a trigger assembly. I only use hoppes solvent and gun lube. I used to live in Santa fe NM and instead of lube I used graphite.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123