Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Public range in Pike near Milford or Shohola?

Hello all. I'm a new resident of Shohola in Pike County. For those who aren't familiar with the area, Shohola is about 5 miles away from Milford.

Are there any public ranges near my home? How about pay-to-use ranges that permit more than 3 rounds in a magazine?

Finally, are the public ranges safe to use; i.e. are they patrolled by rangers? Had a scary experience when I was in CA at a public range. A group of intoxicated persons started firing on passing cars below the range. Suffice it to say, I high-tailed it out of there and notified the ranger station immediately.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Public range in Pike near Milford or Shohola?

Welcome to the neighborhood.

SGL 183 range is located directly off of Rte. 6 just west of you. The closest private clubs I am aware of aren't really "close", figure on having to travel at least an hour to join a quality rifle range. I am a member at Ontelaunee, for instance, which has a 300yd rifle range but is a solid hour away.

The public rifle ranges (SGL ranges) are fine when the tourists don't overrun the place. Most weekdays and some weekends you will have the rifle range to yourself. I've been shooting at 183 for going on nine years without actually seeing a game warden, YMMV (there are no dedicated range officers, per se). The pistol range and 50yd. range will generally have a much higher nimrod count. You'll see the occassional entire family of idiots waving loaded handguns around like they are water pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    Hello all. I'm a new resident of Shohola in Pike County. For those who aren't familiar with the area, Shohola is about 5 miles away from Milford.

Are there any public ranges near my home? How about pay-to-use ranges that permit more than 3 rounds in a magazine?

Finally, are the public ranges safe to use; i.e. are they patrolled by rangers? Had a scary experience when I was in CA at a public range. A group of intoxicated persons started firing on passing cars below the range. Suffice it to say, I high-tailed it out of there and notified the ranger station immediately.

(Pike County)

Thanks for the info Rob. Hope I don't run into any morons when I head out there. I have a slight aversion to getting shot in the back if you know what I mean.

(Pike County)

No doubt! If I head out to shoot a handgun there, I always have a rifle and a backup plan JIC it is nimrod day. At least it's not a waste of a 15 minute ride that way ;->

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    Thanks for the info Rob. Hope I don't run into any morons when I head out there. I have a slight aversion to getting shot in the back if you know what I mean.

(Pike County)

There is the 183, then theres also the range in Dyberry. Bu there is also the indoor range at Heberlings. It is very simplistic, indoors, NO magnum loads and hangun calibers only.. Oh and NO FN 5.7 allowed.

But it is a old school indoor range, I have never had to wait to shoot . Also very affordable as well...And free targets...

If you goto 183, dont forget to either buy the range permit, or have a current hunting license. Also DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM YOUR GUNS, NOT EVEN TO CHANGE TARGETS... Always go with another person/friend. There have been storys of things growing legs and disapearing from there. And they do patrol it at random times.

Snert..

(Lancaster County)

I jog through that SGL most weekdays. Its pretty quiet during the week. The weekends when the tourists and out of staters show up............not so much.

(Pike County)

^^^What Snert said... & Be carefull.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid-a-hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Wayne - The Shootist

Many of the truths we cling to... depend greatly on our own point of view. - Obi-Wan Kenobi

where do you purchase the range permit?

(Lancaster County)

you can get it on-line at the PGC web-site.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by trubie View Post
    where do you purchase the range permit?
    It is $10 cheaper to just buy a hunting license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast